The dreaded cat fight

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So it finally happened. The loving environment of happy kitties frolicking and sleeping together is over and in its place is one very angry kitty!

Here's what happened. I was going into the cattery to check on the kittens and my 4 year old Siamese Ty ran around me and into the room. Cercie, my sphynx queen, immediately jumped him like he was a Roman invader in early Britain and rode him right back out of the room.

Ty, who's dignity was obviously insulted, then ran up to my male sphynx Ming, who was in the bathroom happily destroying a toilet roll,and bopped him a few times.

This set Ming off and he started tearing into Ty, chasing him around the house. I separated them and put Ty in two large dog crates that are ziptied together and then later tried to reintroduce them. Ty though is not having it. If he so much as see's a hairless cat he starts growling and yowling.

Should I wait a day or two for this experience to leave his short term memory then try introducing him as if he's a new cat?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long have each cat known each other?

Who is new?

I would try not to take territory away from any cat (if they owned that territory). And if you have to for safety reasons try to sit with them and let them cool down and make sure they do not feel like something (territory) is taken away. After cooling down try to make sure you play with them and  tire them out (then treat or food after play).

I am guessing it was just a dust up and no lingering bad feelings but I don't know the history.

Is everyone fixed?

Sometimes need aggression so proper introductions are really important, going through the process.

But after things like this always get a cool down and try not to not put on any additional negative energy. Try to be calm and positive and confident so the cats feel that energy.

I hope this helps a little. We'll see what others say as well. This is how I handle things like this but just because it works for me doesn't mean it is right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The two sphynx were kittens when we got them who Ty loved on from the moment the where gotten. Ty fixed but the two sphynx aren't.

It seems like a case of misplaced aggression. Cercie chased him out of her and the kittens room and Ty got angry and took it out on Ming.

Ty is at the vets office now getting his teeth cleaned and a tooth pulle but I'm worried the aggression on his part will start back up when he gets home.

I want to make sure this doesn't turn into permanent distaste for one another. I'm just not sure how long of a cool down period they need. I was thinking a few days though so they both have time to completely forget about it and go back to the whole I love you, no I love you more phase.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is helpful 

You are right, it is redirected aggression. Ty wanted to know what was going on with the kittens, didn't like being chased out, took it out on Ming and got it back.

Maybe I don't understand how bad it was but I don't think something like this would lead to permanent hatred. If you see a dust up like this again try to distract with a toy if possible (and if available). And always try to be calm and confident, try not to panic (easier said than done I know).

I think you want to be careful that one of the cats doesn't feel punished, that he is losing territory and therefore confidence. If you do separate them then make sure it is a pleasure, a lot of play food etc. Now Ty is going to the vet so that complicated things especially with the dental procedures. He'll need to rest a bit. So try to spend time with him and make sure he feels secure and not penalized and less confident.

My sense is a few days of separation is too long but I don't think I fully understand the situation. After Ty recovers from the dental work you might want to hold him and walk him around and see the reaction (ONLY IF YOU KNOW YOU WILL NOT BE HURT). My guess is it will all be forgotten but again I didn't experience it.

It is always best not to take away territory (confidence) if possible.

Please keep us up on how things are going and feel free to ask anything. You know your cats best so please use your best judgement. Good luck.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Here's a couple of articles which might help - 
[article="32390"]Re Directed Aggression In Cats  [/article][article="22398"]How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight  [/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions. After he got out of surgery he was really groggy so I let him rest for a few days. I sprayed feliway everywhere then would put my other cat ming in a carrier with some wet food and take him to Ty. They growled at each other for awhile but I tried it again the next day and all Ty wanted was the wet food Ming had.Opened up the Carrier and Ty practically stood on Ming to eat the wet food. There scuffle seems to have been forgotten and there rebonding over the love of wet food.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great. Food tends to really help a lot of issues.

Getting them to eat together and play together really helps as well. 

I'll be hoping that your peace will last. Good luck and feel free to ask anything anytime.