The Cat Journals

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess you could say inspiration hit. I've always thought it would be fun to have a 'cat journal', but what better way to have one then to tell it from their own perspective?

Twix

This morning I had to sneak away from the kittens very, very quietly. Ditto and his self-appointed sidekick, Lady, were pretending to sleep, but I knew better. The little rascals kept twitching – first their eyes, then their ears, then their tails. They were just itching for the chance to come out hunting with me. But really, what kind of a chance of snagging a squirrel would I have then? The fuzzy little buffoons can’t stay quiet for the life of them! And, no matter how much I love them, I don’t enjoy having my tail attacked every half-minute because it looks like a raccoon – or at least, that’s what the kits told me.

So, I instead patiently licked the two of them until they were sound asleep and padded out of the garage into the woods. It was nearly and hour after sunrise, and I twitched my tail in pleasure. Perfect time to find a tasty snack.

“Mooom, izzat you?” I stood stock still, then turned. All five of the kitten were tumbling toward me in a line, Ditto happily leading the way. “Mom!” Ditto said again, then he took a flying leap toward me, landing on his bum and tumbling over to land at my feet.

“Mom, my feet are wet!” Ragamuffin complained. “And Sunflower bit my tail!”

Viking bounced up and began swatting at my ears. “Mom, we were afraid we’d never find you!”

I bobbed my head down in a fruitless attempt to evade the tiny paws. “I’d find you. But didn’t I say no sneaking away from home especially when you know I’m out?”

Lady grabbed for my tail and clung on. “You never take us anywhere, except down the trail.” Letting go, she sat down on the ground and licked her paw once. “That’s boring.”

“This is way more fun,” Sunflower agreed before turning to attack Viking.

I picked up my paw from off the ground and gently pushed Sunflower off of Viking’s back. He grinned at me, showing off his needle-sharp baby teeth, then launched himself at a shivering leaf. I turned to the next kitten (Ditto, it turned out to be) who was trying his best to wrestle a screeching Ragamuffin to the leafy forest floor. I broke up the fight, then shook my head at the five of them.

Next time I went early morning hunting I really had to figure out how to shut the garage door.

Next up...Tucker

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tucker

I sat up from my bed when the door opened. Ah! It was her! She’d come to rescue me from my warm and comfy mat. Wait now, this isn’t right. Warm and comfy here…rescue to there!? Nah. However, my feet moved of their own accord and I found myself scooped up into a pair of arms. I purred and relaxed, suddenly realizing why I did this every morning. My bed was warm, but you can’t beat kisses, hugs, and tummy rubs, especially on a chilly morning.

She opened the door and a blast of warm air hit me. I squinted, then it stopped and we were inside – at least, that was what she called it. I preferred to call it The Land of Tummy Rubs because that was what I got in there – tummy rubs and a chance to escape from those doggoned little youngsters that kept hanging around me.

She set me down on the bed and walked over to her big gray box. What was she doing!? She hadn’t touched my belly once yet! “Belllly ruuub,” I intoned in what I hoped was a hypnotic voice. “I waaaant a belllllly ruuuuuub!!”

“Oh, be quiet, you little screecher,” she mumbled before turning back to her light-up box and clicking that dratted piece of plastic. I have no idea what she thought she was doing. Here I was, sitting handsomely on the bed and waiting for a belly rub and she continued to make sit in front of that thing. I’d show her. She didn’t deserve to have any attention paid to her after this…this ordeal.

I turned my back to her and settled down, purring extra loudly. It wasn’t to get her attention, though, it was only to, er…okay, it was to get her attention. I wanted a belly rub, after all!

She sighed. “Fine, I’ll come pet you, Tucker. But only for a little bit. I’m supposed to be doing my homework.” I popped up from my spot and flopped onto my back in front of her.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you,” I told her between purrs. It sounded like this (“meeep” purr “merp” purr “mawpp” purr “mreap” purr), but really, who cared? I sure didn’t. After all, my tummy was being rubbed.

Next up...Peep

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peep

It was about time she came home, I decided as I sat in my usual kingly pose at the top of the hill. She told me time and time again about how she just “had to go take care of the kids over there for a bit”, but really, who cared a rats tail about that? It seems like it would be much more interesting sitting over her petting me rather than “feeding the baby a bottle” (another term she uses – I’m not quite sure what it means, though).

However, she continued to go and would come back, a piece of greenish paper clutched in her hand and a large smile plastered across her face. Paper, shmaper. Why didn’t she like the gifts I gave her as much? Surely a nice field mouse tastes better then a slip of paper!

“Hi, Peep. Where’ve you been today? I haven’t seen you yet.” She reached down to scratch my ears. Hadn’t seen me yet? Was she blind? I had watched her go over to that blasted house two hours earlier. How come she didn’t see me!? And besides, I was snoozing in a box earlier this morning. I had heard her take Tucker inside. I was tired and didn’t feel like listening to my brothers childish ramblings so I stayed put where I was.

Instead of that, though, I simply said “Oh, you know. The usual,” and flicked my tail casually. She ran her hand down my back once more, then turned to the door to go inside.

“Be good, Peepling. And do me a favor, will you? Eat the chipmunks in the grass instead of on the front step!” Then she disappeared inside after blowing me a quick kiss.

Hpmh. Humans.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. And you definitely should let them write - it's very entertaining watching mine...

Next up...Ditto and Company

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto and Company

“I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think our momma loves us anymore. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s very sad. I havenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t told the other kittens yet, but theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re complaining too. You see, theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re complaining because she hardly feeds us any more! Yes, this is true. No, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not kidding you! Peep, would you stop looking at me like that?†Ditto glared (as much as a six-week-old kitten could, anyway) at Peep. It wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t funny. Why on earth was the big fluffy mole laughing at him!?

Peep twitched his tail slightly, still giggling. “Sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s weaning you, you silly goofball of a kitten. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s natural. She did wean us, after all…have you wondered why we eat only big cat food?â€

Ditto contemplated this, then stuck out his tiny pink tongue at his older brother and bounced away to go share his news with the other kittens. Weeming indeed. He didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to be weemed!

“Whatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d he say?†Lady asked, watching his tail as if trying to decide weather it really was her brotherâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s tail or a really odd mouse. “Anything important?â€

Ditto tucked his tail underneath his leg to prevent it from being attacked. “Yeah, but I hafta tell everyone.†Scrambling up on top of a turned over cardboard box, he took a quick breath and called out the roll-call into the garage. “Sunnyflowah-Ladee-Ragamuffing-Vikink! Over here!â€

Four kittens paused from their kittenly duties and scrambled over. “This better be good, mister I-Know-It-All,†Ragamuffin said before licking her paw daintily. “I was playing.â€

The others took their assigned seats in a row in front of the cardboard box. Ditto crouched down, his big blue eyes wide. “You wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t believe it…but weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re getting weemed.â€

To be continued...

Next up...Twix

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! You are doing just wonderfully! I can SO visualize all ofyour kids talking and playing and hunting! Please keep it up! And do continue to share with us, the further adventures of your merry crew!

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twix

Ah, the joys of having kittens. They love to bite and tackle, poke and squeal. They sap up so much of your energy you’re reduced to eating four times the amount of food you usually do. However, they’re cute and fluffy and…cute. Besides, they’re mine and I love them. But really, I would really, really, really love it if they would stop tagging along everywhere I go! They follow me everywhere!

“Mom. Mom! Momma!” I turned toward the insistent squeal wearily. It was one of the kittens again – no surprise there. However, her little fuzzy face was puckered up into a cry of terror. I immediately dashed up and crouched down next to her, my instincts kicking in. If something had hurt one of my babies…

“The other kittens smooshed my under a kitten pile.” Ragamuffin’s little eyes, now changing from blue to gray, blinked at me miserably. “Now my back hurts. Come tell them not to do it any more!” She raced back into the garage, obviously wanting me to follow her.

The anger receded from my veins and I patiently followed Ragamuffin over to the pile of innocently grinning kittens.

“Play nice, kits,” I warned them with a twitchy flick of my whiskers. “No one likes to be flattened."

Ditto wrinkled his impudently nose at me from the bottom of the kitten pile. “I like being squished. It’s warm down here! Ragamuffin’s just a—”

I stared at him sternly. “You’ll behave yourself, little man. Maybe Ragamuffin doesn’t like being squished. Have you ever thought about that?” He was silent. I took that to be a definite no as I turned and ambled out of the garage. As soon as I was fully out of sight, there came another long, drawn out squeal. A second later I heard an insistent cry of “Mom!”

Sighing, I stalked back into the garage. Did I actually say having kittens was a joy!?

Next up...Tucker

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

Oh my goodness! You are doing just wonderfully! I can SO visualize all ofyour kids talking and playing and hunting! Please keep it up! And do continue to share with us, the further adventures of your merry crew!
Thank you!! I do try to do justice to my furbabies, and it's good to know I'm succeeding in bringing them 'to life' in words (although they already are alive here).

I will keep posting. Just so you know, coming up sometime soon is the spaying/neutering of Twix, Peep, and Tucker, so stay tuned!

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tucker

There has been nothing exciting going on lately. I swear, this place is like a tomb full of mouse coffins! The only thing to do is sleep – and, while I’m not opposed to that in the least…quite the opposite, really – I would like to have something happen. Watching the kittens pounce on each other’s tails isn’t the most enjoyable sport, you know.

However, I got my first taste of excitement from the past week today. It wasn’t much, but I tell you, after fourteen consecutive hours of sleeping for six days, even the slightest twitch is exciting. But this…this was real excitement. Just listen up and I’ll tell you what happened.

I was sitting on my cushion minding my own business when suddenly I head what sounded like a cloud of chirping kittens. It was very faint at first, but after a few minutes it got louder and louder and louder. Before long, the chirping noise was so loud I felt as if I had to plug my ears with my paws! I didn’t, though. Instead I crept outside to inspect the…whatever it was.

What I saw shocked me. In every tree roosted a flock of about thirty or so birds, each one the color my fur – dark blackish gray. And they noise they made – I was terrible! I immediately raced back to my cushion in the garage and really did plug my ears…it was that bad. After today they left, though.

I’m so worn out from that huge ordeal…I think I might just have to take a nap now.

Next up...Peep

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peep

“Just look at his eyes! They’re so huge and beautiful. And his chin, it’s just so precious how its white…such a contrast against his golden fur…” The other lady nodded and stroked my head as my owner went on about my attributes. I sighed and relaxed in her arms, purring my most manly of purrs. This was the life – people praising me and touching me and holding me. I could sit here all day if I had a choice…not including meal and snack times, of course. It was a wonderful way to live. Why on earth did they call it ‘the dog’s life’?

Suddenly I was placed on the floor. What was happening!? Everyone was racing toward the counter in the other room, their feet furiously thumping the floor. Me. They had forgotten about me, Peep, king of large golden eyes and luxurious striped fur! Me, who was thoroughly enjoying getting picked up and held and loved and cuddled. They had forgotten ME! PEEP! How dare they.

I huffed and swished my tail, curling up on the carpet and eyeing the humans with disdain. They never knew what was more important and worth more – food or me. Well, next time they tried to pick me up and cuddle me I’d hiss and scratch them to punish them. That’d show them!

My owner came back and smiled at me benignly. That was the ‘let’s shower Peep with affection to get him to like me again’ piece of her dastardly scheme. I wasn’t going for it.

Then came this: “Sorry about that, Peep.” The apology. Well, let her apologize to the end of the world - I wasn’t going to be budged! I turned my face away from her to show her I wasn’t paying any attention to what she was saying.

“I just had to get this for you.” I could see her deposit something in front of me. No, I couldn’t look…I couldn’t…but the smell, it was heavenly! Look! No, don’t! Yes, do! No don’t! But as soon as my craving to look subsided she said something terrible. “Don’t you like chicken? It’s even cooked. I guess I’ll just give it to Twix even though she already had a piece.

That was it. That was it! This was all I could stand – to heck with ignoring her! I quickly turned to the chicken her fingers were reaching toward and scarfed it up. Then, licking my lips discreetly, I gazed up at her in hopes of getting more.

She sighed and stood to get another piece. “I swear I don’t know how you do that. It’s just like…I dunno.” I blinked modestly. What did she think I was, the king of the house?

If she did, then she was darn well right.

Next up...Ditto and Company