The 2023 Gardening Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My garden's Leukospernum is in full flower (it's Spring here).
That's beautiful !!!

The garden this year was another disappointment.
Disappointment here too. We had so much rain, I think everything drowned.

I wonder if some of you lovely gardeners can answer a question for me:
Is it possible to dig up a plant growing in a small garden space and replant it elsewhere and have it do okay? Any tips on how best to do it.
Definitely you can move most plants. Certain ones need to be moved at certain times of year though. Do you know the name of your plant? Or can you post a pic of it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely you can move most plants. Certain ones need to be moved at certain times of year though. Do you know the name of your plant? Or can you post a pic of it.
Pokeweed. Yes I know it's poisonous and I didn't plant it, but the wildlife likes it. I wanted to wait until it went dormant and move it to the back in the woods. I thought I had someone who was going to come and replant several things for me, but his quote only included a small bit from my neighbor's tree and a bit from my bushes. Not paying him to do that.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH had the idea of getting me a fountain for the backyard for my birthday but didn’t want to choose one without me. Now that he told me; I’m really mulling it over. His mother has one and I enjoy sitting near it; but its underneath their deck stairs with hostas and things around it. (Their house is built into a hill with a daylight basement.)

I’m not sure if logistically our backyard is suited for one though. Almost directly off our patio is where the septic tank sits. So unless we find something solar thats not a good place to run electricity to. I think i would want it somewhere i can see it from the house too.

We do have rose bushes off in one corner with a cat statue in memory of Noodles. One might look nice in that area; but its not in the line of sight from the house. The patio itself is open or I could see putting one on there. If its not sloped too much.

It’s almost like having a big yard makes it hard to choose locations for focal points. I’m not complaining though; I love my yard and I love how we have changed it over time. I guess its ok if some things have to stay in our imaginations.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
DH had the idea of getting me a fountain for the backyard for my birthday but didn’t want to choose one without me. Now that he told me; I’m really mulling it over. His mother has one and I enjoy sitting near it; but its underneath their deck stairs with hostas and things around it. (Their house is built into a hill with a daylight basement.)

I’m not sure if logistically our backyard is suited for one though. Almost directly off our patio is where the septic tank sits. So unless we find something solar thats not a good place to run electricity to. I think i would want it somewhere i can see it from the house too.

We do have rose bushes off in one corner with a cat statue in memory of Noodles. One might look nice in that area; but its not in the line of sight from the house. The patio itself is open or I could see putting one on there. If its not sloped too much.

It’s almost like having a big yard makes it hard to choose locations for focal points. I’m not complaining though; I love my yard and I love how we have changed it over time. I guess its ok if some things have to stay in our imaginations.
I think a fountain would be wonderful. They do make some really nice solar fountains or inserts that can turn a basin into a fountain.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I managed to finished cutting down today my backyard 100 foot long cottoneaster hedge that was so badly damaged by rabbits last winter. Some section’s of this formerly thick hedge were totally dead but most looks like it will come back eventually. It was really sad to have to chop it down though.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pokeweed. Yes I know it's poisonous and I didn't plant it, but the wildlife likes it. I wanted to wait until it went dormant and move it to the back in the woods. I thought I had someone who was going to come and replant several things for me, but his quote only included a small bit from my neighbor's tree and a bit from my bushes. Not paying him to do that.
Oh, sorry. I know absolutely nothing about Pokeweed. But a quick google search tells me it gets really big.

Good luck. Hope you find someone to help you safely move it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I FINALLY had a good garden this year, tomatoes still producing, onions really nice size, cantaloupe so huge you wouldn't believe it, and red potatoes too. Bigger than softballs. My daughter said ONE fed her family of three and most of them are like that. Haven't harvested my sweet potatoes yet, but if the vines are anything to go by they are doing really well. Pumpkins big enough to sit on, though next year I have to get started earlier on the squash bugs. All my flowers are beautiful too, my coneflowers are all up by seed and blooming, which I didn't expect this year. Finally! The only difference this year was ample rain, one TOO ample, 10.65 inches that flooded the whole countryside, including our just finished basement. But teh trees needed it so bad after so many years of drought. Even the nonirrigated corn looks great. It's funny but 50 miles away they are still in a drought. Our lawn looks the best it ever has. One good year, keep them coming!!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
mani mani That Leukospernum is simply gorgeous. You certainly have a green thumb.
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles A fountain would look good almost anywhere. Maybe you could use it as the focal point for a new flowerbed in your yard. Add a few nice outdoor chairs. We have a lion fountain in one of the corners around the pool. The problem is we can't see it because the rose bushes completely overgrow the thing. It's really pretty, but doesn't get used very often. Our electrician put an outdoor receptacle at our pool pump area and we can plug it in there and hide the cord in the flower bed.

Rick dug the rest of the potatoes and they're curing on the picnic table under the maple tree, so they're not in the sun. We did a good picking of green beans and peppers yesterday. I took some tomatoes, too.

He's starting to work on tearing the garden down. It's time.

We can't complain about the garden this year. Started out with a very dry May and it scared us. But then June came in with a rainy bang and we've been dealing with rain ever since. In order to ward off blossom rot with the tomatoes, he planted each tomato plant with a good scoop of dry milk for the calcium. I don't know if it's because of the dry milk or what, but this year, for the first time in years, we did not deal with blossom rot. Our BIL told us about powdered milk for tomatoes (and peppers, too).

Our freezers are full of produce this year. We were lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.