The 2023 Gardening Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fancy tulips are finished, but there are other tulips, plain yellow and only about 16" tall, just coming on.
IMG_2336.JPG

You can see how much shorter they are, compared to the Queen of Night.
The Storm Cloud amsonia burst into bloom all of a sudden. It's a shame that the blossoms last such a short time.
IMG_2334.JPG

This is just one of my Pontiac Red potato containers
IMG_2338.JPG

This year, the milkweed really took off
IMG_2337.JPG

And lastly, there is a frost warning for tonight, with possible temps in the upper 20s, so everything that can be moved inside will be, and everything else will be covered. What a PITA!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lastly, there is a frost warning for tonight, with possible temps in the upper 20s, so everything that can be moved inside will be, and everything else will be covered. What a PITA!
My kids little red wagon gets more garden use hauling pots in and out of the garage in the spring! And sometimes when its stormy out! I told my mother she may have gotten it for the kids when they were little; but I’m keeping it forever for me! :lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A friend told me how to prune them last fall and apparently I should have written it down. Mine look good but all I remember is making the cut at a certain point... like theres a certain spot to look for. That's not helpful at all. :lol: 🤪

I need to prune my lilacs now that they are well done.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pruning makes me nervous. Especially the lilacs because they are my favorite and we went for a specific kind for the color. That nursery closed so I cant go there again. One bush has really struggled but its hanging in there. I keep leaving the dead parts just because its small without them. I’m not sure if that’s holding it back or not. I don’t want to make things worse. :dunno:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I took these this morning.
Our horseradish. Peppers and tomatoes are behind the horseradish.
We also have the corn and red beets planted, but they're not doing much yet. We have soaker hoses down along the rows. We desperately need rain. Not the prettiest garden, but it grows the food.
2023Horseradish.jpg

The pea plants. We have pods, but they're not filled out yet.
2023Peas.jpg

Potatoes in the front, onions in the back two raised beds.
2023PotatoesOnions.jpg

The strawberries with the second bed of onions in the back.
2023StrawberriesOnions.jpg

Rick's bean poles. We wanted to try pole beans this year. Rick made the poles. Other beans are planted along the fence, so they can climb.
2023BeanPoles.jpg

The weigela by the pool fence.
2023Weigela.jpg

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DS has been helping me weed my raised gardens but they still aren’t planted. I’m just doing sunflowers so no big deal. We did get my side garden planted and have sprouts of sunflowers and Mexican sunflowers there.

The petunias are filling in nicely! I’m still shaking my head at that one red one. Of course its doing excellent there! :lol:

C6F56450-1405-49C4-A740-A1B5DF0EFADC.jpeg

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I love your step petunias! The red one is there because that one does what it wants!
The way so many things have not gone as expected in the last year I keep thinking its a philosophical reminder to find the beauty in the unplanned but the unplanned has mostly been unpleasant so it’s not going so well. :lol:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been a mixed bag on the gardening front, with the flowers doing well but the rest? As I said, a mixed bag.
The new Dutch iris are just coming into bloom.
IMG_2356.JPG
IMG_2362_kindlephoto-1065201804.jpg

The Widow's Tears are putting on a show in this, their third year
IMG_2358.JPG

The tulips are on their last legs
IMG_2360.JPG

The clematis are running slightly ahead of schedule
IMG_2354.JPG

The milkweed are doing nicely, and there should be seed pods developing this year.
IMG_2364.JPG

The potatoes are also doing well
IMG_2361.JPG

Too bad that I can't say the same for the carrots. They were just sprouting, maybe an inch or so tall, and the dang birds pulled up every one of them.
The beans have blossoms on them, the squash and cucumbers are growing, but the tomatoes seem to be stuck in neutral. They aren't really growing much, but neither are they withering. The leaves are nice and dark green, but the plants are still only about six inches tall. Oh well.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
N NY cat man Your flowers are so pretty!

Poppies! I love poppies!
2023Poppies.jpg

So far, we only have the one pink poppy. Some years, we don't get any.
PinkPoppy.jpg

One of Rick's lilies. He is fascinated with lilies.
Lily.jpg

Our first peas. The rain yesterday really helped with the pods. There were two strawberries, so Rick took them. He added them to the berries in the fridge, cleaned and sliced them, and he's munching on them with vanilla yogurt.
Peas.jpg

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We have been busy with peas and strawberries. I picked more of both this morning. Gave the strawberries to our neighbors and I shelled, blanched and froze the peas. We have a lot of pods, but they're not ready to be picked. I come up every other day or so for peas.
JunePeas.jpg

Rick wanted me to show you how full the pea pods can be. Some have as many as 12 peas. They're really nice. We're considering planting a fall crop of peas, too.
JunePeasInShell.jpg

We're letting the asparagus go for the summer.
JuneAsparagus.jpg

Potatoes! Such nice plants. They're Kennebec.
JunePotatoes.jpg

Rick just calls this "Pam's Onion Patch".
JunePamsOnions.jpg

Pole beans are coming along, but not nearly ready to climb yet. Rain would help. The corn plants are to the right of the beans. Not very big, but coming along, too. The red beets in the garden are doing OK, but the ones in the raised bed are not doing well. Tomatoes and peppers are OK; we do have some baby peppers and tomato flowers. Squash is doing OK, but not like last year. The lack of rain has really done a number.
JunePoleBeans.jpg

And some of Rick's lilies.
JuneRicksLilies.jpg

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
CatladyJan CatladyJan How did you do that???!

Peppers!
Peppers.jpg

As the peas ended, the peppers started. The poblano is going into a pot of chili on Thursday. The jalapenos will be going into a loaf of jalapeno-cheddar bread; I need to hit the garden to grab a few more and will pickle them first. And the mild banana peppers were sliced to go on to pizza. I sliced and froze them.

Status
Not open for further replies.