Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

The 2019 Gardening Thread.

Discussion in 'The Cat Lounge' started by Norachan, Mar 27, 2019.

1. bbdoll22

bbdoll22 TCS Member Top Cat

Nov 8, 2006
    Hudson Valley NY

2. MoochNNoodles

MoochNNoodles TCS Member Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    Where my cats are
    You've all given me ideas for my shade garden. The hostas I put in last year are back but the other stuff I put in isn't perennial here. I should just get some more hostas in different colors.

I have one baby tomato in my garden. My plants aren't too big yet but we had a cold spell. It's hot right now though so hopefully they'll start reaching for the sky!

rubysmama, NY cat man and maggiedemi purraised this.

3. foxxycat

foxxycat TCS Member Top Cat

If you are looking for more variety of hostas, check out craigslist and google search local plant sales. This is the month many garden clubs have their annual plant sales. I often find local grown plants dug up from yards that have better survival rates than plants grown in the greenhouse. And they often are much cheaper. Usually 3 to 5 bucks a plant vs 12.99 or higher at most greenhouses.

4. rubysmama

rubysmama Forum Helper Staff Member Forum Helper

Nov 25, 2013
    Canada
    The pictures will be more interesting once summer comes to "the north". ;)

Looking forward to another pic come July or so. :)

Yeah, that's what most of mine look like too. :sigh:

I think Holly Hocks are bi-annual, however, 4 years is 2 cycles, so they should have come back by now. :(

Hostas are great. I started a new shade garden last year with hostas, coral bells and astilbes. My astilbes are fine, and I think most of my hostas survived the winter, but I lost a couple coral bells.

I ended up buying my different variety hostas at Walmart and other big box store garden centres, and the prices were mostly under $10.

Once my hostas are bigger, I'll post pics of them.

foxxycat, NY cat man and maggiedemi purraised this.

5. NY cat man

NY cat man TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 6, 2018
    We put some more plants in the ground today. 3 Aquilegia and 2 Coleus, to go along with her black snakeroot 'Chocoholic'. The project continues, because there are still some spots crying out for plants.

foxxycat, rubysmama and maggiedemi purraised this.

6. foxxycat

Astilbe are fussy and prefer wet moist soil. I have 2 of them in the front but because of the drought the past 2 to 3 years they died off. I got those 2 at Lee church plant sale in the 2nd Friday of May. It's their annual sale. There were 5 other sales last Saturday that I was unable to go to due to working.

Ive not made up my mind about working this holiday weekend. I really need to weed and add compost before the plants get too big.

I took some more pictures this afternoon.

Oh and bought a Begonia for 3 bucks at Lowes.

Anyone know how to grow these? I was going to put it in the pot with the bent Dahlia I bought this weekend. Would these 2 be ok together?

FB_IMG_1558396052193.jpg Begonia

20190520_175000.jpg
    Dahlia plant that was bent and almost broke in half. Ive got my trowel holding it in place until it gets established in the pot.

20190520_054253.jpg
    The tiny plant is a yellow petunias from the Ebay plants.

I've discovered that I've got babies growing all over the place:
    Daisies
    Yallow i believe it's called
    Black eyed Susans
    I want to dig them up and if anyone wants them you can have them
    20190520_174919.jpg
    Baby susans
    20190520_175515.jpg
    Daisy's. They bloom for an entire month. June. These are almost ready to open already. They grow 12 to 24 inches tall depending on heat and water. Very drought tolerant. They self seed.

20190520_175420.jpg
    I think this is white Yallow. Or Pink. I've forgotten what color these are. I've got another section of lawn that has 20 to 30 babies growing there. No idea what color..they got mowed down last summer but this is the 8th or 9th summer they came back in this area.

rubysmama, maggiedemi and NY cat man purraised this.

7. foxxycat

My creeping phlox is starting to open
    20190520_175227.jpg
    There's a medium hosta there...it pretty much stays that size. They flower in August.
    20190520_175639.jpg
    Bee balm I've moved from the front yard.

A side view of those wild daisies in my yard. Ive already transferred 10 of these clumps to the edge of my long garden. There's about 10 clumps left. Usually we only get 2 or 3 clumps growing in the lawn. Jon will often not mow them down if I ask him not to.
    20190520_175504.jpg

Forgot about my yucca plants. There are 4 of these here. 1 is totally buried under the forsythia bush, the others are in good areas and bloom these 5 foot stalks of flowers. These are used for making shampoo. This summer going to try it.

The peony is coming up. This was planted here before I bought the house. It's almost 20 years old. Comes up with no special work.

I cant figure out if it's just buried under the stones in stones or if there is dirt under the stones.
    20190520_174856.jpg

I've got to get pictures of the lupine that are coming up. They never come up in the same area! And there are white colored ones that don't always return every year. I wonder why this is? I know holly hocks are every other year...wonder if Lupine are as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    rubysmama, maggiedemi and NY cat man purraised this.

8. foxxycat

Ok I got pictures of the huge Hostas. What a difference from last week.
    I put them in order from left to right. The ones all the way to the right always grow larger due to shade and shelter. The one to the very left doesn't get as much water because it's out in the open more.

20190520_202301.jpg 20190520_202308.jpg 20190520_202333.jpg

I have a flower that I have no idea what it is...anyone know?

20190520_202145.jpg 20190520_202152.jpg 20190520_202149.jpg

I just took these photos even though it's dusk out. The camera doesn't show the true colors unless it's halfway dark.
    This flower only blooms in May and warm weather makes the leaves wither away a bit. But always comes back.

NY cat man, rubysmama and maggiedemi purraised this.

9. NY cat man

Aug 6, 2018
    My mother could have told you all about begonias, as she loved them and had a bunch of different ones, but I have never dabbled in them.

foxxycat, rubysmama and maggiedemi purraised this.

10. Norachan

Norachan Thread Starter Moderator Staff Member Moderator

May 27, 2013
    Mount Fuji, Japan
    That's a good idea. What's the best kind of cutting to take, one with flowers or just young leaves? Do they do well in water or something else?

That looks like the same one I have.

Here's a picture of Happy helping me clean out the planters last month.
    Garden162.jpg

foxxycat, maggiedemi, NY cat man and 2 others purraised this.

11. Kat0121

Kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    She's supervising. Cats are so good at that.

12. Norachan

Norachan Thread Starter Moderator Staff Member Moderator

May 27, 2013
    Mount Fuji, Japan
    They are. They also think any hole dug into the potting soil should be peed in before a plant goes in there.

:crazy:

13. rubysmama

Nov 25, 2013
    Canada
    They sure are fussy. Probably 5 years ago I bought a gorgeous light pink Astilbe in bloom. Next year nothing. Following year, the flower stem dried up to a crisp. Finally I read up on them and the next year I watered it twice a day! But I finally got gorgeous flowers. I've since spit the plant, so hopefully both pieces bloom this year. Last year I bought a darker pink one. All plants are growing this year, and will hopefully bloom.

Good deal on the Begonia. I don't know much about them, though.

I've got baby plants growing too, and have to wait for them to get a bit bigger so I can confirm whether they're weeds or not.

Oh, pretty. I might need to buy me some.

Good luck with them. All mine die.

Peonies are reliable like that. But, apparently, are fussy and hate to be moved.

Could be. I've never grown them. They are pretty though.

Lovely.

Are you referring to the white ones, or the pinky/purple ones? I think the pinky/purple ones are poppies. But not positive.

foxxycat, maggiedemi and NY cat man purraised this.

14. NY cat man

Aug 6, 2018
    Oh yes they are! In fact, before she came inside, Miss Eleanor would 'supervise' whenever I was outside, sometimes going so far as to be looking over my shoulder- literaly.

foxxycat, maggiedemi and rubysmama purraised this.

15. foxxycat

hahahaha how true!! Or Pooped in!! :crackup: As Bee did to me yesterday. :lol2:

16. maggiedemi

maggiedemi TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 26, 2017
    Northern NY
    LOL! That's hilarious. :lol::lol::lol:

rubysmama, NY cat man and foxxycat purraised this.

17. posiepurrs

posiepurrs TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 11, 2015
    Western Massachusetts, USA
    Looks to be an anemone

There are annual and perennial lupines. Since yours seem to travel, I would guess they are the annual type with birds and wind spreading the seeds.

I would try a semi hardwood cutting, no flowers and very few leaves (you can cut the leaves in half) to keep cutting from trying to support leaf growth while trying to form roots. Take cutting with at least 3 nodes, cutting just below a node. Place in seed starting mix or you could probably even use moist sand. Keep evenly moist, but not soggy. I would even try a rooting hormone. Obviously, keep out of direct sun. You can also try taking a branch, injuring it slightly on the underneath side and burying it in the soil, pining it down so it stays buried with the growing tip out.. I have rooted other shrubs this way. After new growth starts and it is fully rooted you can remove the branch from the mother plant and transplant to the desired location.

Norachan, rubysmama, NY cat man and 2 others purraised this.

18. posiepurrs

posiepurrs TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 11, 2015
    Western Massachusetts, USA
    60514376_10214470518413488_7212559449418891264_n.jpg A few shots of what I have growing. The first is my Trillum. Don't mind the piece of wood - I put it there so I can find the Trillum when it goes dormant in the fall since I want to move it. The next is my crescent bed, half shade, half sun, sorely in need of attention. 60608460_10214470517813473_3494371416202018816_n.jpg My peach iris with a purple and white budded up in the background. 60707115_10214470517253459_5622506601605758976_n.jpg The last one is a container I just put together so it has not had time to fill out. It is a red Mandevilla vine, Dusty Miller, White superbena and variegated vinca. 60735310_10214470518733496_1178082964920074240_n.jpg

MoochNNoodles, doomsdave, rubysmama and 3 others purraised this.

19. foxxycat

@posiepurrs love the pictures. Up here in NH the irises are just coming out of the soil. My yard is always 2 weeks behind everyone else. The neighbor has daffodils and they bloomed in April while mine were still little nibs.

20. rubysmama

Nov 25, 2013
    Canada
    Beautiful pictures, @posiepurrs. I'm not a big fan of the bearded iris's, but that pretty peach one might change my mind. ;)

foxxycat, maggiedemi and NY cat man purraised this.