The 2019 Gardening Thread.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like an azalea to me, too. But azaleas come in a lot of different colors, from white to pink to red and lavender.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
The azalea that is in my yard is in the front and gets shade until the afternoon around 2ish then till sun sets. It has always bloomed but last year from drought it didnt.

Norachan Norachan Go dig up one in the woods and move it.. Why buy it if it's wild? It will be hardier and save some money. I often dig up wild flower plants in the woods if I find something I like..there's these Asters that bloom in Aug/Sept and I want to bring some home.

I got all the babies planted in pots--my master bath is full of tomato plants and the dining area has petunias and Zinnias. I got the marigolds in the bath with tomatoes. Seems out of the different varieties the Zinnias are the least hardy. They got slight burned edges of leaves from being under the sky light so I moved them to work where I will set up a grow light.

It wasn't hard watering the plants last night-carried them to the deck-put them on this wooden table I got for free last week and let them drain.

I found out I can leave these plants outside for 3 days on an overcast day instead of the 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours etc hardening off that they recommend. I found this on a youtube Video from a holistic farmer in Michigan. He says the clouds act as a filter and much easier on the plants...so If there are overcase 55 degree or warmer the plants will be booted outside :)

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan , foxxycat foxxycat has a good idea, but BE CAREFUL.

Some wild plants are protected and digging them is forbidden. Check to see if the plants you want are on some kind of a verboten list. Also, some places just frown on that sort of thing, particularly if the place to be dug from is "public land" or a park, etc.

That said, I beat foxxycat foxxycat to it years ago - I used to dig up wildflowers and transplant them into my mom's and dad's (now my brother's) garden, and some are still there after 40+ years.

Even if you can't dig them, maybe take some pictures? Japan has an awesome wild flora that includes plants we here in the rest of the world love very much. One of my big favorites is Lilium auratum, "gold band lily" that the Japanese I believe call "yama yuri."

There's another called Lilium speciosum, don't know the Japanese name for it. A white cultivar is shown below.

(Keep the pollen away from the kitties, though, it's poison to them.)

1280px-Lilium_speciosum_2.jpg

800px-Lilium_auratum1.jpg

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no it was these woods down the road from work. I never dig up from parks or obvious cultivated areas. I walked about 20 feet away from the road and I always fill the hole with dirt to prevent sink hole. I got wild Phloex that bloom in August this way, Daisies that grow right on the side of the road and lupines on side of wooded areas near Lake Winneaposki. I am sure there's other plants that I have forgotten about. Most of my plants came from other folks digging up the babies and selling them at plant sales/yard sales.

But yes don't be stupid and dig in areas obvious. I always take the middle height plant-or the babies. I leave the mature plants and take the smaller ones-easier on their roots when it's raining too. Never dig up plants when it's dry. Do it on a drizzely day.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My babies are doing well. This side will get watered tonight. The temps are going to be way too cold to put outside so they stay here until next week.

I stressed about buying so many plants and said wtH was I thinking? But there are 8 people at work who want plants so it won't be hard to sell them.

Back 9 years ago I bought 2 trays of tidal wave petunias plug plants and sold them here for $1.50 each and had no problem getting rid of them. This time doing buck a plant to move them faster.

Next time gonna buy a greenhouse and buy more varieties

20190513_052152.jpg

20190513_052039.jpg

Here's the Purple and blue petunias and zinnias. They will be fine for a week then will repot into 2 to 3 inch pots which by then will be outside.

Here's when they first came in their plug trays

20190510_171636.jpg
20190510_171640.jpg

20190510_210703.jpg

Here's Thursday or night when I first got them done.

The marigolds seem to be the hardiest of them.
The Zinnias don't like the bright light from skylight above. They were moved into the dining room where it's a spot darker.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My babies are doing well. This side will get watered tonight. The temps are going to be way too cold to put outside so they stay here until next week.

I stressed about buying so many plants and said wtH was I thinking? But there are 8 people at work who want plants so it won't be hard to sell them.

Back 9 years ago I bought 2 trays of tidal wave petunias plug plants and sold them here for $1.50 each and had no problem getting rid of them. This time doing buck a plant to move them faster.

Next time gonna buy a greenhouse and buy more varieties

View attachment 284650
View attachment 284651
Here's the Purple and blue petunias and zinnias. They will be fine for a week then will repot into 2 to 3 inch pots which by then will be outside.
Ah!

Sure'n if you're not a woman after me' own heart! I raise hundreds of plants, mostly to give away or trade. A lot of work, but it helps preserve sanity.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It started with that I was too stubborn to pay 5 bucks a plant for the ones i want. The colors i got were about 46 cents to 1.18 a piece but they are hard to find colors. Petunia baby medium yellow, Blue wave which is more maroon, purple wave which is more dark hot pink were the ones i got. The yellow are Easy waves which make bigger trailing flowers to me. I wanted shock wave pinks but ran out of room. There are 2 vendors on Ebay that sell plug plants. The one still available only sells 240/260 plant trays..I need a barn or garage to do this so next year I will take advance orders from workers if we are still here and next year do better.

I got 3 varieties of tomato because I was stubborn and wanted to win the auction :flail: I was only interested in Roma varieties but this Summer pik for hot dry conditions had me curious. The other one is Mountain hybrid which is made to resist fungus from damp cool weather . The mountian ones are slowest growing. The Romas and summer ones already sprouted up 3 inches!:hyper:

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Burpee probably sells Early Girl seeds. They have for years.

Pyracanthas are thorny buggers, that make Bogies seem almost cuddly by comparison.
Don't I know it. I once had a pyracantha thorn go right through the sole of a tennis shoe and into my foot. Had to pull the thorn out before I could take the shoe off. Thorn was over 6 inches long.