That burning tires smell...

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I have a question that's more a curiosity. Pia has been examined and is fit as a fiddle.

What is that terrible smell that cats sometimes excrete, and why do they do it?

I first noticed it on Pia shortly after I took her home. I thought she needed a bath, but then it was gone. And I noticed it would randomly come back again.

The vet said it might be her excreting from her anal glands, which don't appear to be blocked, so it's not really a health concern per se.

She's been doing it much less after she had been here a while. I read it is something that usually happens when they poop, but I always smelled it when she was around me getting pets. I also read a lot of cats have problems with them because commercial cat food makes their feces softer than it should be, thus not expressing the anal glands as effectively. Pia's on a raw diet and her feces are pretty firm -- much more than with the food she came with. So it's interesting that I smell it less.

But I smelled the exact same thing as I was walking to work. The yard I was walking by I know to be the home of a pair of outdoor kitties, who are sweet little things. I think they're still kittens -- maybe 6 months.

What is the meaning of that burning tires smell?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anal gland fluids are thought to be used as scent markers for delineating territory, so that could be the reason. Some cats do seem to have issues expressing their anal glands regardless of diet though.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our last cat used to "play skunk" (express his anal glands) when he was upset, e.g., during a vet visit. His aim was so good the vets took to wearing safety goggles while examining him. The smell you noticed while walking past the yard may have been from an aggressive encounter the cats had.