Thanksgiving Dinner Menu

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since our children and their families live far away and further away it was just the two of us for Thanksgiving. And the cats of course but there is a limit to how much (and what) they can manage. I went kind of overboard with appetizers so we ate in stages: appetizers, take a break. Main course, take a break. Dessert.

Appetizers were homemade gravlax on homemade bread with horseradish sauce and capers, creamed herring (store bought), stuffed mushroom caps, and deviled egg. Aquavit ice cold from the freezer.

Spatchcocked capon with sausage stuffing, oven roasted potatoes, braised Brussels sprouts. Nice Riesling Kabinett.

Individual sour cherry cobblers with whipped cream. Chocolates from the chocolatier in town. I offered a muscat dessert wine but was turned down - enough, he said.

Even though a capon is somewhat smaller than a small turkey there are still ample leftovers. So far it has been tetrazinni, pot pies, and tonight capon with mushrooms and green peas in a white sauce with Parmesan over rice.

View media item 389408 View media item 389409

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I agree with your sister's family about the green bean casserole but not about the scalloped oysters. I don't see how she can say that if she is the only one that likes oysters.

Gaining only two pounds isn't too bad.

Ellen
We've never liked the traditional must-have green bean casserole; actually, I've never made it because whenever I brought it up, Rick and our son would become drama "princes" and start yelling, "No, no, no!" I did try it at my sister's house one time. My aunt used to make scalloped oysters and I think that's where my sister developed her taste for them. I think the whole thing is disgusting. 
 I don't even like touching those little buggers.

Yeah, I was actually a little relieved that it was only two pounds. 

I love bananas and they're loaded with potassium, which is always good for me. I don't like banana bread or cake or cookies. But I like fresh bananas, especially in a homemade banana split! A couple weeks ago, Rick was really hungry for ice cream. He got some vanilla out of the freezer and put a couple scoops in a bowl. Then I got mine. A couple scoops of vanilla, some sliced banana, some pineapple topping, more ice cream, more sliced banana, some frozen strawberries from the freezer, another scoop of ice cream. Topped off with some Hershey's syrup and a spritz of Reddi-Whip (Rick has a serious addiction to Reddi-Whip). And I even put a maraschino cherry on top!  
 Rick started watching me and pretty soon, he put his bowl back on the counter. I asked him why and he said, "So you can fix my bowl, too!" First banana splits in a long time and they were so good.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

That sounds decadent!

I made caramelized butternut squash  instead of the gratin and it was a hit.  Also very easy to make, I liked that.  

@betsygee Let's hear the recipe for the caramelized butternut squash. I gotta have it.

I made a new recipe of cranberry relish. It was easy and very good. .
The recipe is here:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/caramelized-butternut-squash-recipe.html    Easy and good!  

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise