Thanksgiving Dinner Menu

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It's all figured out, thankfully. I think it will be just Rick's mom, Rick and me...maybe. My brother and I are doing well again, thank goodness. They had made plans for dinner at my SIL's cousin's house, but they'll come to us for dessert. And they may just come here anyway. We'll see. My GF did not need heart bypass surgery, thankfully; the doctors put a stent in. She's not allowed to drive for a while and her DH is in the beginning of Alzheimer's, so he cannot drive at all. Rick will go in to bring them down to us when he picks his mother up. My sister and BIL have their dinner with their kids, but they want to come to us for dessert (or have us bring our dessert leftovers and go to their house). They invited us for dinner there, but Rick's mom won't go over there, so we're each on our own. But it's working out OK.

Herb-Roasted Turkey (from Southern Living) along with the gravy

Classic Bread Stuffing (Southern Living)

Party Potatoes

Dried Corn

Ina Garten's Roasted Winter Vegetables

Mom's Cranberry Relish

Braided Peppery Cheese Rolls

Praline Pumpkin Pie

Salted Caramel Chocolate Pecan Pie

Sugar Cookies (roll and cut with a turkey cookie cutter)

Iced Tea and Coffee

A few bottles of wine

I said I was only going to do a smaller turkey this year (about 14 pounds or so), then we got to the store last night and there was a nice 24-pounder just sitting there, waiting for me. I started looking around at the smaller turkeys, but Rick just took Big Tom. He said he knew that's the one I wanted and we love leftovers, so it'll work out. And that means that Big Tom will, once again, be roasted in the Nesco roaster; I'm not using my oven for a huge turkey when I will need both of the ovens for sides. Tradition is tradition, I guess. I know Rick isn't particularly amused that I'm not doing the stuffing in the crock pot, but it makes a ton of stuffing; I promised him crock pot stuffing for Christmas dinner with the crown roast, so he's mollified, if nothing else. The dried corn is a nod to Rick; he'd rather have that than corn pudding. And since he doesn't like Mom's cranberry relish, I bought a can of Ocean Spray sauce just for him.

I'm making mom's cranberry relish this coming Sunday as it should be made ahead of time to give the flavors a chance to hang out together. I'm making enough relish for us, for my sister's dinner, and will freeze the rest for Christmas dinner. I'll make the peppery cheese rolls this coming Sunday, too. And a loaf of sourdough bread; I'm going to need that for the stuffing. I though I had some in the freezer, but evidently, we ate it all. 

Pumpkin and pecan pies will be made next Wednesday night.

Rick and I are running over to the winery this Friday night.

We are going to visit with the grands for the day on Saturday. Sarah and I will spend the day in the kitchen. She wants to try her hand at making sticky buns; she's almost nine years old now, so that should be interesting! And her mother has decided to go gluten-free, so we're going to try making GF sticky buns. That should be really interesting. In between waiting for dough to rise a bit, we're also going to be making cut-out sugar cookies, so hopefully, I'll be able to bring home a few of those to tuck into the freezer for Thanksgiving, too. I thought it might be a little much for Sarah to try to get everything in at one time; she sometimes gets out-of-sorts when things get too complicated and my goal is always to keep things simple, but our son says she's all excited about it. If she does get tired of baking, I can just finish things up myself while she takes a break. I try my best to make it all fun for her. And I have all kinds of sprinkles and glitter to take down for the cookies; she's at the age where baking glitter is pretty cool stuff. 
 It's all about the pretty frostings and the glitter. And I don't care how they look; it's all part of the fun with us.

So I guess that is going to be our Thanksgiving. There will be plenty of leftovers and we can all waddle around the weekend! 

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's just DD, me and the furkids. I asked her what she wanted. Her reply, "I don't care. Nothing fancy". 

She doesn't like turkey. She doesn't like meat that's on a bone. I suggested some kind of shrimp pasta. She said OK. Maybe some garlic bread and salad to go with. Wine as well. 

I will roast a bone in chicken breast for the furkids. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We've got our close friends, their daughter and grandson coming for dinner, along with my stepson and new DIL.  I think it will be the 8 of us.  My stepdaughter and her family will stop by for a holiday toast before going on to their dinner engagement with other in-laws, and our next door neighbors will stop by to say hello at some point as well.

We decided the menu with our friends, and it's turned out to be a mix of traditional, seafood, and vegetarian.  
    Roasted turkey, crab legs, steamers, cranberries, mashed potatoes, and a vegetarian butternut squash gratin and lentil loaf for me.  Stepson is sauteeing up some greens.  My friend will make pumpkin pies and I will probably make a frozen pumpkin parfait.  My mom always made it for Thanksgiving when we were kids and I love it.  

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to my parent's house.... it's just going to be my mom, dad, my brother and me. But my mom bought at 21 lb. turkey so we can all enjoy leftovers. :)

The menu will be:

Turkey

Homemade Stuffing (inside and outside of the turkey we all enjoy both!)

Homemade Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

Yeast Rolls

Sweet potato casserole. My mom is only making a small one since I enjoy it the most and the guys don't like it but they love their regular potatoes.

Green Bean Casserole

Cranberry Sauce (Jellied and Whole Berry)

Pumpkin Pie

Cherry/Berry Pie

Chocolate Cream Pie

And we'll have snacks while the turkey is cooking like usual. I'm excited and can't wait to spend the day with my family!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will be going to my sons for the holiday since my kitchen is being remodeled. Traditionally I do the dinner here. i make almost everything from scratch:

Turkey, gravy

stuffing

Mashed potatoes

Mustard greens

Green beans

Cranberry sauce ( purchased item - my kids hate home made)

French bread

pumpkin pie

apple pie

I also try to do something vegetarian for my daughter.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i'll be roasting an 18 lb turkey either on this saturday or sunday, whichever day it's finished thawing. i'll use the pan drippings to make gravy, no stuffing. i'll be making instant mashed potatoes to go with, because i'm out of whole potatoes at the moment. i'll be having turkey, potatoes, and gravy through Thanksgiving Day -- probably longer than that (i'll freeze, then thaw, the cooked turkey -- so it doesn't go bad). most of the turkey will be portioned then frozen, to use in many batches of turkey enchiladas (using my homemade enchilada sauce). i'll freeze the turkey carcass, then at some point will make some turkey stock which will be used to make a nice soup.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
DH and I will be going to the buffet at the local country club, as we've done for the past 2 years. Since it's just us, and I dislike turkey, it makes more sense than cooking.

However, I still have to roast a 20+ lb. turkey this Saturday. It's the dinner special for my club. I have to make turkey, gravy (I make hard apple cider gravy, which they love) , cranberry sauce, green beans, corn, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, stuffing, and 4 from scratch apple pies. Someone else donates store-bought pumpkin pies. The other cook makes another turkey and stuffing--we make enough for 50 people. I have to be there around 7 AM to have everything ready for 5 PM. Fun.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We will be eating with our son. He asked me to bring the collards and pecan pie. They are making fried and steamed oyster. They are also having steamed and fried shrimp.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I also try to do something vegetarian for my daughter.
If you need vegetarian Thanksgiving recipies, try these:

http://www.thekitchn.com/vegetarian-than-35187

http://www.thekitchn.com/25-essential-vegetarian-side-dishes-for-thanksgiving-237622

http://www.thekitchn.com/showstopping-vegetarian-main-dishes-for-thanksgiving-212785

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-vegetarian-thanksgiving-lasagna-237532

http://www.thekitchn.com/thanksgiving-vegetarian-dinner-133244

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-a-go...ng-vegetarian-main-dish-good-questions-212002

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-savory-hazelnut-and-cauliflower-nut-loaf-with-mushroom-sauce-237790

I'm not sure what Mom is planning this year. I know no giant turkey with all the trimmings. I think Mom will make a small rib roast or something and also a roast chicken for my picky adult brother who most likey won't eat it anyways (don't ask). There will be stuffing, basically stuffing mix with celery and bacon added to it. Maybe plain baked sweet potatos. Mom might make her cloyingly sweet candied sweet potatos. She basically slathers a whole box of butter and a bag of brown sugar over a couple boiled and sliced sweet potato and roasts them. I'm
just thinking about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I'm not sure what Mom is planning this year. I know no giant turkey with all the trimmings. I think Mom will make a small rib roast or something and also a roast chicken for my picky adult brother who most likey won't eat it anyways (don't ask). There will be stuffing, basically stuffing mix with celery and bacon added to it. Maybe plain baked sweet potatos. Mom might make her cloyingly sweet candied sweet potatos. She basically slathers a whole box of butter and a bag of brown sugar over a couple boiled and sliced sweet potato and roasts them. I'm
just thinking about it.
We gave up on the really sweet sweet potatoes. I throw a large, chunked sweet potato in with the roasted vegetables (butternut squash, a sweet potato, some carrots, a couple parsnips), toss with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted. We still get some sweet potato, but it's not all covered in brown sugar and butter. 

My brother does not eat sweet potatoes; he refuses. A few years ago, he and my SIL came to dinner one day and I did have the sweet sweet potatoes on the table, with the brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. I had them sliced thinly and evidently, they didn't look like sweet potatoes. He took a helping of the potatoes and everybody's eyes got big because he does NOT eat sweet potatoes. And he sat there and ate them. My SIL looked at me and I shook my head a little, meaning "Let it go". My brother went back for second helpings.....of carrots! He thought they were carrots! 
After dinner, we were all sitting there talking and I asked my brother what he thought of the sweet potatoes. He got this look on his face and we all started laughing. He said, "I do not eat sweet potatoes! I do NOT!" But he did. And he liked them!

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
OK, here goes off the top of my head -

Shrimp Scampi dip
Chicken Parmesan dip
various cold dips and chips
hot appetizer (SIL bringing)
cheese and crackers

Turkey
ham
rolls and butter
Portuguese chourico stuffing
French meet stuffing
rice with sausage in it
mac and cheese
mashed potatoes
canned cranberry sauce
homemade cranberry sauce
vegetables still to be determined
turnip and carrot (SIL bringing)

three types of cookies
my big dessert is going to be an experiment. Three layers, top and bottom carrot cake, middle layer cheese cake. I may add cinnamon to the cheesecake. Cream cheese frosting on it.
niece bringing a gluten-free pie
brother bringing some type of dessert.
nephew's girlfriend normally brings a dessert.

Cocktail list is made and I think I will have them premixed and self-serve. We've got beer wine, etc as well.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may be going over my sister's house on Thanksgiving. She has the same thing every year:

Turkey

Dressing

Vegetarian dressing for me

Green bean casserole

Mashed potatoes

Corn pudding

Cranberry sauce

Home made bread

Apple pie

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As usual, it's just me, and of course, Hekitty.  Who doesn't touch people food.  Keeping it simple.  I have my turkey breast in the freezer (must remember to take it out and put it in the fridge on Monday), then I'll have homemade cornbread dressing, gravy, sweet potato soufflé, green bean casserole. mashed potatos, and broccoli casserole.  Biscuits (I like them better than rolls, and they're SO good with cranberry sauce) and the cranberry sauce.  Pumpkin pie for dessert. 

And, since it is only me, I'll have that, in some combination, for the next week after Thanksgiving.

And THAT is why I'm doing a lasagna for Christmas!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to my cousin's as I do every T-day... regular stuff, turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes (instant--yuck), plain roasted sweet potatoes, corn, green beans, butternut squash, cranberry sauce, and a spiral baked ham.   There is usually 20 of us there. 

custard pie, hopefully pumpkin pie, cookies, fudge, and the Italian Cookies I bring--that is my speciality!! I live near a great Italian Bakery and the entire family loves their cookies. 

Plenty of beer, wine, cider, soda to go around..and coffee, tea for dessert.

and the appetizers are easy.. just cheese, crackers, veggies with dip and some hummus...

It is really an easy menu, but it is a lot of food. Nothing spectacular about the food, just regular stuff.

My cousin's husband does all the cooking. He is a really good cook.

My cousin does the cookies..

and the house will, of course, be decorated for Christmas, with at least one tree..My cousin is a Christmas freak.. she has about 5 Christmas trees with different themes..

and lots of football on the TV... stinks for someone like me who does not care about football. That is why I usually try to help with the clean-up....

I only have one or perhaps 2 glasses of wine because I have an hour's travel time to get home..

I did buy a small turkey breast for me to make the next day; Yes, Black Friday. I do not leave my house that day, cannot stand the stores or the traffic. I will have all the stuff I like and make it the way I want to.. and I will have a nice bottle of wine with it..watch some nice movies on TV, and relax with Artie...

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Going to my cousin's as I do every T-day... regular stuff, turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes (instant--yuck), plain roasted sweet potatoes, corn, green beans, butternut squash, cranberry sauce, and a spiral baked ham.   There is usually 20 of us there. 

custard pie, hopefully pumpkin pie, cookies, fudge, and the Italian Cookies I bring--that is my speciality!! I live near a great Italian Bakery and the entire family loves their cookies. 

Plenty of beer, wine, cider, soda to go around..and coffee, tea for dessert.

and the appetizers are easy.. just cheese, crackers, veggies with dip and some hummus...

It is really an easy menu, but it is a lot of food. Nothing spectacular about the food, just regular stuff.

My cousin's husband does all the cooking. He is a really good cook.
My cousin does the cookies..

and the house will, of course, be decorated for Christmas, with at least one tree..My cousin is a Christmas freak.. she has about 5 Christmas trees with different themes..

and lots of football on the TV... stinks for someone like me who does not care about football. That is why I usually try to help with the clean-up....

I only have one or perhaps 2 glasses of wine because I have an hour's travel time to get home..

I did buy a small turkey breast for me to make the next day; Yes, Black Friday. I do not leave my house that day, cannot stand the stores or the traffic. I will have all the stuff I like and make it the way I want to.. and I will have a nice bottle of wine with it..watch some nice movies on TV, and relax with Artie...
Your Thanksgiving Day will be kind of full, but your day after sounds like a great time. Have fun, chill out, enjoy the turkey, cat and wine. :nod:

I bought my collards yesterday for dinner at my son's. I am probably going to clean them tonight and cook them tomorrow. I will put them in the freezer with the pecan pie and be done with cooking. Actually I have a cranberry relish recipe I found that is wonderful. I am thinking about making that too.

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may be going to my sister's for Thanksgiving. She has the same thing every year:

Turkey

Dressing

Vegetarian dressing for me

Mashed potatoes

Corn Pudding

Green bean cassarole

As usual, it's just me, and of course, Hekitty.  Who doesn't touch people food.  Keeping it simple.  I have my turkey breast in the freezer (must remember to take it out and put it in the fridge on Monday), then I'll have homemade cornbread dressing, gravy, sweet potato soufflé, green bean casserole. mashed potatos, and broccoli casserole.  Biscuits (I like them better than rolls, and they're SO good with cranberry sauce) and the cranberry sauce.  Pumpkin pie for dessert. 

And, since it is only me, I'll have that, in some combination, for the next week after Thanksgiving.

And THAT is why I'm doing a lasagna for Christmas!
That sounds delicious. It reminds me of the year I first had my cats. I was dog sitting my sisters two Boston Terriers that Thanksgiving and I brought a turkey roast for my cats and my sisters dogs.  I cooked it and none of my 8 cats would touch it. I found out then that none of my cats would ever eat human food. I could not eat any of it because I'm vegetarian but the two terriers loved it. 

I may go over my sisters or I may just stay home this year. If I stay home I'm just going to have some Mac & cheese and a green bean casserole. Muffy is the only cat I have left and like I said she won't share my meal with me. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
This year going to my dad's new gf's house-they have 4 adult children and the grand kids plus my sister/her partner and their 4 kids-total 12 kids?! Not sure what is on the menu-I asked what they want me to bring they said the green bean casserole. Jon will go to Aldens or whatever it's called in Beverly-the Cheesecake factory and get some fancy cake.

I will cook our turkey on Friday. We don't do black Friday.

I prefer stuffing in the bird so we will cook it that way. I like the crunchies from the stuffing so instead of just putting it in the bird-I layer it around the sides and top of the bird and make a shelf out of tin foil-so it stays out of the meat droppings. Oh it's SO good this way. I use a lot of butter and veggies in the stuffing.

Once the bird is done-I make home made gravy with flour/water and stir it for 15 minutes on low. Oh this is MY favorite part of turkey dinner=home made gravy on top of stuffing. I make mashed tators for the potato head Jon. He can eat these all the time. YUCK. I will probably buy some exotic rice to make-I saw some black rice in the store this week-I will cook that-with a cup of gravy in the water in place of regular stock-probably come out yummy.

We don't do veggies-I don't like sweet potatoes but that mixture you made Winchester I would eat but mr Picky nope nadda won't touch it. He hates root veggies. I LOVE all  veggies. Except sweet potatoes..umm no I just can't eat it. Squash with butter and sugar-brown suger that is-yes.

My mom who is no longer with us used to make those pearled baby onions..personally I told her put those in turkey soup with rice-that's how I would eat it.

yup I eat 3 boxes of stuffing myself-but I use an entire thing of celery for each box and big onion so it's 50/50. Yeah I tend to cook too big of a meal.

Not sure how relaxing it will be on Thursday but at least it won't be a long affair..probably get there at 1ish and take off at 6ish. Can't leave the Honeybee too long. When I am off work I tend to spend as much time as I can with both my cats...Honeybee seems to like using me as her couch...and I am happy to confer.

I don't do shopping-retail YUCK, I don't need anything. Probably read some of my books, play on facebook and watch movies then go outside and let the girls get some fresh air...I don't usually leave the house on my days off. I prefer to stay in my PJs and lounge. I think last thanksgiving or the one before we had snow?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work 8 hours on the day after Thanksgiving so I don't lose money as I don't get holiday pay; I'm part time. My back is going to be sore though since I have scoliosis. I'm glad it's just one day only, I only work 20 hours a week but with Christmas coming up I don't want to lose hours.

Luckily I only work at Goodwill and just the Goodwill tags are 50% off... from 8 am - 7 pm. I'm a cashier and the people who price stuff in the back will bag as needed.

There's a winter coat I want with cats on it but I am sure it will be gone before I get a chance on it Friday. Plus it's way too big. I really don't think people are going to fight over used items.. but I hope I get more nice customers than rude ones. People can be greedy on "Black Friday". I don't envy Walmart employees or any other business that opens up early on Black Friday. My work shouldn't be too hectic. It probably won't be different than any other day and I am getting good with people having their carts full and not wanting half of it lol. I just hope we don't get those customers next Friday or it will be a PITA. And I always polite no matter if I get a rude customer or not. I really do enjoy my job and glad we're off on holidays!

Last edited: