thanksgiving and introducing cats

cat mom 2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my uncle is coming for a couple weeks and has to bring his cat and dog (both i think 3 years old)

i have two cats (6 months and 5 years old) that’s will be here too. seperation isn’t possible. any tips?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly sounds like a terrible idea with a lot of potential to go very bad. There is no introduction method that doesn't require separation. You can create separation in situations where it seems impossible sometimes, using a bathroom, dog crate or playpen, but with this many animals I dunno. Even just putting the animals together and hoping for the best requires the possibility of separation as a backup plan unless you are introducing two kittens to each other (which is always fine in the long run). Just putting the animals together and hoping for the best seems dubious with this many animals, and only one of the cats at the most adaptible age (kittenhood). You never know, but I'd be surprised if you don't have some degree of significant problems.

You can at least have someone leash the dog and restrain him during the initial meeting. Since even if its a chill dog and your uncle is saying he is sure there is no risk, this may be the dog's first time in a situation with cats growling and hissing, possibly screaming (cats scream even when there is no fighting sometimes), and possible fighting between the cat the dog knows and one of yours. So who knows how the dog will act. Unless its some little 10 pound thing, there is risk there.

I suppose introducing the cats a few hours before the dog is brought into the picture would be better than nothing. If they aren't inclined to fight, maybe they will have settled down enough that bringing the dog into the picture won't stress them out so much that fighting occurs.

Bottom line, if this has to happen, best come up with an emmergency backup plan if there is actual fighting between cats, or the dog seems like it wants to fight. Even better, if it has to happen, get creative and find a way to create separation, either for the duration of the visit, or at least for a bit so some sort of introduction process can occurr.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but its not likely to be a peasant process. If its just a lot of noise, hiding and stress, that should be considered a good result.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat mom 2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly sounds like a terrible idea with a lot of potential to go very bad. There is no introduction method that doesn't require separation. You can create separation in situations where it seems impossible sometimes, using a bathroom, dog crate or playpen, but with this many animals I dunno. Even just putting the animals together and hoping for the best requires the possibility of separation as a backup plan unless you are introducing two kittens to each other (which is always fine in the long run). Just putting the animals together and hoping for the best seems dubious with this many animals, and only one of the cats at the most adaptible age (kittenhood). You never know, but I'd be surprised if you don't have some degree of significant problems.

You can at least have someone leash the dog and restrain him during the initial meeting. Since even if its a chill dog and your uncle is saying he is sure there is no risk, this may be the dog's first time in a situation with cats growling and hissing, possibly screaming (cats scream even when there is no fighting sometimes), and possible fighting between the cat the dog knows and one of yours. So who knows how the dog will act. Unless its some little 10 pound thing, there is risk there.

Bottom line, if this has to happen, best come up with an emmergency backup plan if there is actual fighting between cats, or the dog seems like it wants to fight. Even better, if it has to happen, get creative and find a way to create separation, either for the duration of the visit, or at least for a bit so some sort of introduction process can occurr.
the dog is 8 pounds

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the dog is 8 pounds
Well, that is one less thing to worry about. However, a dog is still likely to induce more stress in your cats than merely meeting new cats, and make it more likely that the cats will be hostile to each other. Maybe the dog should stay in the car or the garage for a few hours if its warm enough.

You never do know. I had two adult cats react really well to a 10 pound dog years ago. I just wanted to see how they would act before separating them, and was shocked that they were only curious. I just think you have too many animals in the mix for that kind of result to be likely.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would presume your uncle will have a room of his own to sleep in? That would be where both his dog and cat should be, at least initially. Hopefully, he plans to bring their 'worldly' possessions with them? That will help them adapt to their new temporary home.

Smaller dogs tend to be pretty 'yippy'. If your cats have not been around dogs before, this will likely be a shocker. Two weeks is hardly enough time to get past the issues I expect you will experience. It might be better to keep your uncle's pets in his room for the duration. He just needs to spend lots of time with them, to help them feel more secure.

You can test whether or not they might more quickly adapt, but be prepared for that not working out.

Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles

Hope I am being overly pessimistic. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I'm afraid I'm going to be pessimistic too, and say I fear this won't go well. Cats don't generally welcome new cats, let alone dogs, into their home with welcome paws. Most times separation and slow introductions are required. Sometimes, even cats that are siblings, can become aggressive the other if one goes to the vet and comes home smelling different.

I just worry that this visit is going to be extremely stressful for all the fur babies, as well as the humans. And, unfortunately, stressed cats can develop behavioural issues, such as litter box avoidance.

Really sorry to be so pessimistic, but just want you to be aware of what to expect.

Here's a couple TCS articles that explain how to introduce cats to cats, and cats to dogs. Maybe there might be something helpful in one of them.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles

Also the one on stress, so you know what to watch out for.
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

Good luck.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is going to be fraught. Any way you look at it. Now, don't be surprised if your cats actually tolerate the dog better than the other cats. My girl certainly does. She sees dogs as "lesser beings not worthy of my attention." Other cats are...a no-go. I wish we had better news for you, but there it is. Of course, cats being cats, you never know, and the whole milling mass of them may get along like gangbusters...but it's more likely that they'll get along like two gangs fighting over turf.