Thanksgiving 2023

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh--- may change up my menu... Long story; bottom line: I had an extra box and a tub of litter in the closet... No longer have them.
These were my emergency supplies.. This was discovered after I completely switched out litter boxes.. ugh
Have to run up to Petsmart after Mass and pick up a couple of extra boxes... sigh..

So, instead of getting fresh green beans, I may just get a frozen veggie from Trader Joes--- right next to PS... sigh...
It is Sunday. I am not sure if fresh green beans will keep until Thursday..

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ugh--- may change up my menu... Long story; bottom line: I had an extra box and a tub of litter in the closet... No longer have them.
These were my emergency supplies.. This was discovered after I completely switched out litter boxes.. ugh
Have to run up to Petsmart after Mass and pick up a couple of extra boxes... sigh..

So, instead of getting fresh green beans, I may just get a frozen veggie from Trader Joes--- right next to PS... sigh...
It is Sunday. I am not sure if fresh green beans will keep until Thursday..
I store fresh green beans unwashed in a dry produce bag with a paper towel sheet jammed in there to absorb any moisture. I've found they keep longer this way. A few times I've washed/snipped the ends off and stored them that way but I find they don't keep as long.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We are also skipping the family gathering this year but mostly because I am lazy and don't want to go out.

The boyfriend is the cook in our house and he's been sick for a couple days so I picked up some Asiago chicken cutlets, packaged scalloped potatoes and just got finished making homemade whole berry cranberry sauce.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The run up to turkey day went like this: power out on Tuesday at 10:30 p.m. Despite power company frequent updates saying otherwise it did not come back on until 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday. Got to love the generator that meant I could keep on baking.

Off to family gathering on Thursday morning. Traffic was light and moving well.

We had a terrific time on Turkey Day. Including host family and counting guests there were 24 people. Himself and I spent the night at a motel. Then brunch on Friday. After which we drove home, again with good traffic.

As you can see
no chance any of us were left hungry.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Got to love the generator
We've been seriously thinking about getting one. Is yours noisy?

Now, that's the kind of Thanksgiving I remember from back in the day, as does Dean, -- football, good food and lots of it, and the ladies in the kitchen and the guys hanging out elsewhere lol. Thank you for sharing :)

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Our Generac brand generator is what's called a whole house generator. It is fueled with propane, which works out very well for us because there is a 1,000 gallon propane tank buried in the ground partway up the driveway. Generator is automatic - turns on once a week for a few minutes just to convince itself that all is good.

If power goes out it waits a few seconds then starts itself up. If power comes back on, it shuts itself off. If we have a lengthy outage Himself goes out and shuts it off (like if it has run most of day, then turn off for night), then turns it back on if power is still out or back to automatic to prepare for next outage. And yes, where we live there are outages more frequently than we think is reasonable.

If I'm indoors, windows closed, and generator turns on yes I can hear it but not objectionable so. More like "Oh, what's that humming noise? Oh yes, it's the generator. Oh, good."

We moved a portable generator from Connecticut when we came here but it could not handle the well pump going on if anything else was operating. Also, the smaller one was fueled with gasoline and when Superstorm Sandy blew through gasoline was limited as to when you could fuel up.

Jahpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_3243.jpeg

Sadly I had to miss thanksgiving this year due to gallbladder surgery:( it really sucked and Lilys first thanksgiving too! Anyways my cousin made this charcuterie board of a thanksgiving turkey! Missed out but it looks so good!!
We usually do thanksgiving first at my husbands parents house. I try to eat light because then at like 3pm we go to my familys house which is usually my cousins house and do thanksgiving there! My mom usually has all her dry and fruity wines she brings like blueberry and cranberry wines!
I don’t really like turkey i prefer ham but my favorites are the green bean casserole and alot of the sides and salads. Pumpkin pie is great too!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
View attachment 464896
Sadly I had to miss thanksgiving this year due to gallbladder surgery:( it really sucked and Lilys first thanksgiving too! Anyways my cousin made this charcuterie board of a thanksgiving turkey! Missed out but it looks so good!!
We usually do thanksgiving first at my husbands parents house. I try to eat light because then at like 3pm we go to my familys house which is usually my cousins house and do thanksgiving there! My mom usually has all her dry and fruity wines she brings like blueberry and cranberry wines!
I don’t really like turkey i prefer ham but my favorites are the green bean casserole and alot of the sides and salads. Pumpkin pie is great too!
That platter is amazing! They did an awesome job :)
I hope you're feeling better after your surgery!