Thanksgiving 2023

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
OK, kids! What are you making for Thanksgiving this year?
We're hitting the grocery store on Friday for either a small turkey or a turkey breast, whichever we can find. (We wanted a smoked turkey, but the store we wanted it from ran out.) I have all my recipes figured out and am ready to start cooking! :woohoo:

Menu is pretty much the same as every other year:
Bone in Turkey Breast or Turkey (if the weather is nice, Rick will grill it again)
Crock Pot Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes with Gravy
Sagaponek Corn Pudding
Candied Yams (with OJ and vanilla)
Mom's Cranberry Relish
Junior's Apple Cheesecake (for Rick)
Pecan Pie (for me)
Iced Tea and Coffee
Autumn Harvest Blush (Shade Mountain Winery)

What are you making?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're having turkey, stuffing, and green beans that were canned a few months ago. Simple and easy, and the turkey will feed us all (cats and dogs included!) for awhile. :)

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We get our Thanksgiving dinner from Bob Evans every year. I just have to heat it up for a few hours and it's ready.

Turkey, bread & celery dressing, corn, mashed potatoes with gravy, mac -n- cheese, rolls, green beans with ham, cranberry relish, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Was talking to my uncle in Cali the other day.
Plans were up in the air because the cousins who usually host it had booked a cruise this year. So all the elders of the family were hodgepodging something because nobody wanted to take on the turkey. I joked with him that they should just keep it simple and grill up some turkey burgers.

Then he called yesterday to say that traditional Thanksgiving was on because the cruise had been canceled. 🤪

So we’ve been invited down, but not sure we can do it because we are also taking a trip right after Christmas. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Regardless, I’ll most likely be making cheesy scalloped potatoes at some point .

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We get our Thanksgiving dinner from Bob Evans every year. I just have to heat it up for a few hours and it's ready.

Turkey, bread & celery dressing, corn, mashed potatoes with gravy, mac -n- cheese, rolls, green beans with ham, cranberry relish, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie
Bob Evans makes some good food. :yummy:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanksgiving is long over for us (was in october) but we had our usual butterball turkey with vegies and scalop potatoes.

My cousin made a pumpkin pie but IDK what she did to it because it tasted like plastic. Only ate one pice to be polite. But was the worst pumpkin pie i ever tasted. Like plastic with spices.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure. It's just the cats and me so nothing fancy. I have a turkey thigh in the freezer. I could roast that for us to share and have a baked potato and salad or veggie with it. Publix has ribeye steaks on sale this week. I'll see if they have a good one and grill it up for us if they do. One or the other. The girls would be very happy with either.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm bucking the tradition this year and we're having baked salmon (with onion,lemon and sumac),Demaris Phillips green bean "casserole", and I'm just now thinking baked potatoes of some sort.I'm trying to think healthful as we now have a 3rd diabetic at the table out of four,so eliminating carbs and sugars wherever I can,so probably no dinner rolls.I'm making a pumpkin cheesecake...no crust and half sugar, half swerve sweetener.I'm sure there'll be the usual abundance of cheeses, crackers,olives,pickles and salamis...there always is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Anybody want to join us for dinner?

Our 11-pound (or so) turkey breast turned into a 19-pound whole turkey! A turkey breast went into our shopping cart yesterday. At check-out, Rick put a whole turkey on the belt. He just looked at me and shook his head. But here's the thing: leftovers. We'll have turkey on Thanksgiving with turkey sandwiches on Friday. Turkey noodle soup or a deep-dish turkey pie on Saturday. The rest will be Food-Saved and frozen in one-meal increments for soup or whatever later on. I'll cook the carcass down on Thursday night and the broth will go into the freezer, too. It will work. And it makes easy meals later on.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm bucking the tradition this year
:yeah: So am I - DH doesn't care for turkey that much unless it's his beloved turkey burgers so I'm making a roast and onion roasted potatoes for him. Our oldest is coming over and since I'm vegetarian and she's vegan we're making Chana Masala. But we will have our traditional pumpkin pie, one of my favorites at Thanksgiving.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it is just me and Geoffrey; I am going non-traditional. I am not a huge fan of turkey. One or two meals are enough for me. I prefer all the sides; except green bean casserole. That was never a 'thing' in my family.

I am going to have chicken thighs, (in freezer) with a savory whole cranberry sauce. The recipe was posted a few years ago. It is just sautéed chicken, braised in a savory cranberry (in freezer) sauce.

I think I will make my own rice pilaf, and grab some fresh green beans early next week to round out the meal...pretty easy...
I may try roasting or sautéing the green beans, after a quick boil.. Or I may bake a butternut squash.
Need to pick up a couple of shallots also, or scallions... just my own thrown together stuff.

Dessert is up in the air. If I make it up to Trader Joes for the last minute items, I may pick up some pumpkin ice cream, (if still in stock)-- or will hit the bakery for a pumpkin pie, or some type of dessert. I will go Tuesday.. Or Monday afternoon. The stores will be mobbed.

I also have a bottle of sparkling cider to drink or the usual bottle of Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay.

It all depends on how I feel and when I get up..

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: So am I - DH doesn't care for turkey that much unless it's his beloved turkey burgers so I'm making a roast and onion roasted potatoes for him. Our oldest is coming over and since I'm vegetarian and she's vegan we're making Chana Masala. But we will have our traditional pumpkin pie, one of my favorites at Thanksgiving.
I thought of you last night as I was watching a Jamie Oliver video,and he was making his own falafel,several different pickled veg and sauces and put them all in a toasty split pita.Looked so good,and so easy!I am quite tempted to try making them myself!Have you ever?We adore pumpkin pie,but also cheesecake,so that's where I came up with the idea for a pumpkin cheesecake.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I thought of you last night as I was watching a Jamie Oliver video,and he was making his own falafel,several different pickled veg and sauces and put them all in a toasty split pita.Looked so good,and so easy!I am quite tempted to try making them myself!Have you ever?
Thanks, I'll have to try and look up the video. I've never made them myself but have several favorite mediterranean/mideastern restaurants I like to go to for them. I buy the frozen falafel at Trader Joe's but they recalled the one I like and I don't really care for the new replacement so maybe I should try to make my own. If you try it please let me know how they turn out.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll have to try and look up the video. I've never made them myself but have several favorite mediterranean/mideastern restaurants I like to go to for them. I buy the frozen falafel at Trader Joe's but they recalled the one I like and I don't really care for the new replacement so maybe I should try to make my own. If you try it please let me know how they turn out.
It was really simple...all mixed in his food processor into a dough that just came right out of it.I believe he divided it into 16 little balls,flattened them and sauteed in a skillet.And the recipes for his goodies that he put on his pita are on his video as well.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It was really simple...all mixed in his food processor into a dough that just came right out of it.I believe he divided it into 16 little balls,flattened them and sauteed in a skillet.And the recipes for his goodies that he put on his pita are on his video as well.
Unfortunately I don't have a food processor. :frown: