Thank you for not adopting our cats!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BernardtheWT

The worker in the room came over and said, "That's a BAD cat in there! Evil!" He went on to describe how the cat bit the finger off of a pair of leather work gloves, then added, "He's getting put down this evening - some of these cats just won't tame."

My immediate response was, "I'll take him!" They must have asked me if I was really, truly sure I wanted that cat at least a dozen times, and then they wouldn't even let me be in the room when they took him out of the cage and wrestled him into my cat carrier. I walked out struggling to carry the box full of thrashing, yowling, beast wondering, "WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

All I can say is, take chances on these cats! Sometimes, the cats that seem the hardest to love (at first) are the ones who need you the most.
I have one of those 'don't touch the mean cat' cats at home and while she has her moments, she settled very quickly. The shelter can be a stressful place for kitties and is not representative of how a kitty will be in a home.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirage_202

Because nobody wanted them, we were the ones that became truly blessed with two of the best cats we could have ever asked for.
I am always drawn to the long-termers too, I guess because I get to spend so much time with them.

But I actually cry when they go home, I miss them and can't imagine why people who would make a great home turn them down because they are not cuddly enough etc - either would I be living in a shelter for a year!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mirage_202

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are doing so extremely well! The fact that Kinney (Momma's Boy) STILL wants to cuddle with me in the morning even though it's 30 Degrees outside, Taylor still wants scratches on his tush, etc. They're amazing - I love them to pieces!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every time I go down to the shelter, I am amazed at the wonderful pets we have there that, for some reason beyond their control, have ended up in the shelter. I can't tell you how many have notes on their papers saying, "No longer have time for this cat." "Child developed asthma." "Moving, can't take him with us." "Going to have a baby." "Boyfriend doesn't like him."

We end up with many beautiful animals that were also strays, running free. Declawed cats! Thorobred dogs!

And you're right about appearances. I've seen some scary-looking cats who turned into cuddlebugs when I took them into the playroom. Our two cats came from there, and neither had much to recommend them. Punkin was painfully skinny, and Sterling was aloof. Punkin is the best-behaved cat we've ever had, and Sterling is Dottie's company when I'm out of town.

Punkin

Sterling

As someone else said, working at a shelter will make you love animals more, and people less.

But I have to admit that Juno was adopted today by a lady who specifically asked if we had any cats who were on their last day. Fortunately, we don't work that way. But Juno is a great cat, just a tabby (declawed) who is unprepossessing. She took him in the play room for a while, came back out, and said, "This boy is definitely a keeper!"

Juno

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That really made my day, and its only 7:49 am here! Great story, very cute kitties indeed

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love happy endings and beginnings.
There is a cat languishing at our shelter but only because he is such a brat. He is a big ole buff Tom that lays at people's feet and charms them only to out of the blue scratch the devil out of them. We try to warn people but they get lured every time. We let him out a lot as he likes to watch and follow but he will live there forever if he doesn't quit it.
We are hoping someone who is not in the market for a lap cat will take him.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

I love happy endings and beginnings.
There is a cat languishing at our shelter but only because he is such a brat. He is a big ole buff Tom that lays at people's feet and charms them only to out of the blue scratch the devil out of them. We try to warn people but they get lured every time. We let him out a lot as he likes to watch and follow but he will live there forever if he doesn't quit it.
We are hoping someone who is not in the market for a lap cat will take him.
We have one like that, a gorgeous orange tabby who was abused as a kitten (it makes me cry to think of the state of him when we got him) but someone is finally interested in him but has to wait until they move house in August so fingers crossed

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

We have one like that, a gorgeous orange tabby who was abused as a kitten (it makes me cry to think of the state of him when we got him) but someone is finally interested in him but has to wait until they move house in August so fingers crossed
I will put in my thoughts like I do our hard case.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great thread! I love the stories of cats that were losers, becoming winners. All the cats look adorable and lots of fun to have at home!

Lots of vibes for all cats to find homes just as loving.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You did such a good thing taking these two adorable pals ! They look so cozy under the duvet !

They are really lucky to have you !

kitten_smitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My questions were answered when I went to visit them the very next day. They were feral. They had been found in an abandoned house back when they were just babies.
Feral cats do take a lot of time, mine took the equivalent in hours of a full time job but nothing compares to at feeling when I heard Ferocious purr for the first time, or when Tom kitten first "demanded" food with a loud meow.

I have learned from my feral babies

Relationship are time spent - there aren't any short cuts but there isn't any greater feelings than being head butted for the first time either.

I also enjoyed the claustrophobic cat story - what a lovely story.

I bet those shelter workers who were wrestling the cat into your carrier thought you would be bringing the cat back the next day. Glad they were wrong

kitten_smitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But I have to admit that Juno was adopted today by a lady who specifically asked if we had any cats who were on their last day. Fortunately, we don't work that way. But Juno is a great cat, just a tabby (declawed) who is unprepossessing. She took him in the play room for a while, came back out, and said, "This boy is definitely a keeper!"
Horray for Juno on finding a home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mirage_202

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kinney opened right up the next day - he had updated vaccinations the day we took them home so he had the obligatory post-vaccine lethargy. He was all cuddly and purrs the next day.
My heart literally MELTS now everytime Taylor meows and purrs when he wants to be petted. The second I stop he lets out this small meow/purr and kneads the carpet.

They are just my loves.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a lovely thread. My latest kitty is one that has been at the rescue since last MArch, they weren't actually looking to rehome her, but I persuaded them!! She apparently has litter tray issues, but not seen any signs of that since SAt, but her snuffles are worse than they made out, and her fur is dull and she is on the thin side - I am sure a true home will sort her out.