Tempest Is Completely Terrified ... We're Mystified

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So for the past week or so, Tempest has been behaving as though something is completely terrifying her. All the time. All she wants to do is hide beneath things. In tiny boxes, way back in the corners of cupboards, under furniture. When we coax her out, she just sits in one spot, in a little ball, tail and paws tucked beneath her, literally trembling with fear.

We simply cannot figure out what is causing this.

Should we take her to the vet? Does anyone have any ideas how to figure out what might be causing it? Any experience with sudden, longish lasting, mysterious fear? We're really concerned at this point, but have no idea what to do.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Did any loud noise or sound frightened her? Or did she see some unfamiliar people or are there new things in the house that looks intimidating to her or any blasting sound from power too.s, banging, loud stereo/tv sounds?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, there has been absolutely nothing new. No new people, no new sounds, no new food, no new furniture, no new habits, nothing at all. We've examined her safe room to see if maybe something had happened there, and we don't see anything that looks different or out of place. Sinbad has even been on his best behavior, no chasing in a while and she displays no greater response to him than usual, so it's not him either.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet. Pain could cause her to act in the way you describe. Is she eating/using the litterbox the same as always?

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, same eating, drinking and litter box habits. Any real change in those and I'd take her to the vet immediately. I hadn't considered pain as a possibility though, because we've manhandled her a little bit examining her for possible injuries, and she's not reacted with anything other than happiness at the attention.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So apparently it was a week long process of gathering her courage and determination and conquering her fears. Those of you who have followed my several year long saga of Tempest and Sinbad will likely appreciate the marvel that just happened (and I'll be updating that thread in a moment). We came home from grocery shopping and found Tempest grooming herself in the hall, as though it was a perfectly normal place for her to be.