Temperature Drop?

Potato_ish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my friend’s co-worker found this cat about 55 days ago and could not find the owners. So I took her in because they couldn’t. She was a super skinny cat when we got her but she grew a lot. We now know she’s fat and should be due within the next two weeks. She’s a Siamese and I’ve read their gestation period is longer than other cats. She’s currently 5.2kg and has been nesting for about 2 weeks. I’ve also been able to feel her kittens move around for about 2 weeks also. Took her to the vet on Wednesday and the vet said she could have them any day now. At the vet, her temperature was 100.4. I took it again Friday night and it was 99.5. And last night it was at 99.2. Could this be a sign that she’s going into labor soon? Her nipples have also grown significantly in the past week. They look like they’re starting to have milk in them. She’s not showing any other signs. I’ve attached a picture of her laying on her side. We are very impatiently waiting for these kittens.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Temperature is not a reliable indicator. It sounds like she may have another week to 10 days to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Potato_ish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for tell me about the temperature thing! I didn’t think it’d be that long. What are the odds that she got pregnant the day she got picked up off the street, you know?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s hard to know since she was stray. If she’s getting milk the kittens may come sooner.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer: Welcome to TCS! Since cats ovulate AFTER mating, she could indeed have been conceiving after she got picked up. She is a beautiful Siamese. It is sure a good thing that you have given her sanctuary and she is not alone on the streets in her condition. Are you feeding her a good quality kitten food? You can also offer her some kitten milk replacer, to keep her calcium up.

Potato_ish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has 3 adorable kittens. I believe 2 are boys, the other I’m not sure. I have tried to disturb her as little as possible. The first one was born at 10:50, second one at 11:20, and the third one at 1:25. I believe she may still have one more in there. I think I feel kicking in there but she isn’t in distress. Called the vet and the receptionist said to take her to the ER but I’ve read that as long as she’s calm she should be fine and that it could take up to 48 hours for her to deliver them all? She’s still has a round and firm belly.

Attachments

Potato_ish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awe, I'm waiting for my girls babies still. Congrats. Jeep us updated.
How far along is she? Ever since we found out blue was pregnant, We’ve been so impatient.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! I agree with monitoring her closely but if at all possible, do not risk taking her to the vet hospital. She needs the calm and peace that you are wisely already providing. The babies are adorable and a good size for newborns.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Congrats on the kittens. :bouquet: She could have another kitten to deliver, however, quite often I've seen posts where the "human parent" thinks they can feel another kitten, but it is just normal swelling and contracting from the pregnancy/delivery.

Potato_ish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, both! Well, she hasn’t had another kitten yet. Since she’s being calm, I’m trying not to make it such a big deal by taking her to the vet because maybe I am just imagining it. However, it really felt like there was another one in there. The third one, she delivered I could feel it in there, too. She delivered a few minutes after my husband accidentally kicked her box and scared her. I don’t know if that caused her to start having contractions. Is it normal for her to have bloody discharge, though? It’s only slightly bloody and has no foul odor as far as I could tell.

Whitney_erin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen several people on here think there was another kitten but wasn't. Just cause their belly stays lumpy and swollen right after. Hopefully she had all her kittens
No kittens with Sassy still. I'm not sure if we are supposed to post pics on others posts. But the name of ny post if you wanna follow Sassy's progress is "advice on my pregnant kitty"

Potato_ish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: so I ended up taking her to the vet because I wasn’t the only one feeling the kitten. Turns out she still had one inside. She got a c-section and the baby was stillborn. He was he biggest one and got turned the wrong way. Vet says he was probably suffocated by the contractions.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry about the stillborn kitten. :( But glad you realized something wasn't right and took mama to the vet. Is she still there? Or back home? Can she nurse?