Teeth Cleaning

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I am trying to be really vigilant about cleaning my two kitties teeth. I have poultry and also tuna flavored toothpaste meant for cats...I also have the finger bristle brush that I haven't tried yet and a soft bristled toothbrush as well.

I would love to hear some suggestions or techniques on how to brush their teeth because we are at the point where now they run and hide under the bed when they see the toothbrush :poop::poop:
And when I do finally manage to get them to lay down They move their hard back and forth and its really hard to brush anything other than the front teeth...What I would like to get to is the back teeth because I know those need to be cleaned.
Should I maybe try the rubber bristle brush that you put on your finger and try it that way? Also I'm scared I'm going to choke them or something because they act so dramatic like I'm doing something horrible and it makes me feel bad :seesaw:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really important to be extra patient with training cats to brush their teeth. It can take weeks for them to accept it. I would start out really small. For example, for the first few days just open the toothpaste tube and bring it up to them to smell, maybe rub their lip with your finger and then immediately give them a treat. You want them to associate the smell of the toothpaste and you touching their lips with the treat.

Once they start to make this association (you will know when they do because they will start to perk up and expect a treat when you approach them with the toothpaste) then add another step where you actually lift their top lip and touch their teeth with your finger. Again, go slowly with this until they associate it with the treat. Then you can add some toothpaste to your finger and just rub the front canines with it. Once they have accepted that you can move onto trying to rub their back teeth with toothpaste on your finger. I wouldn't introduce the tooth brush until after they are okay with your finger. Actually, you don't even need to introduce a tooth brush if you don't mind just using your finger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's really important to be extra patient with training cats to brush their teeth. It can take weeks for them to accept it. I would start out really small. For example, for the first few days just open the toothpaste tube and bring it up to them to smell, maybe rub their lip with your finger and then immediately give them a treat. You want them to associate the smell of the toothpaste and you touching their lips with the treat.

Once they start to make this association (you will know when they do because they will start to perk up and expect a treat when you approach them with the toothpaste) then add another step where you actually lift their top lip and touch their teeth with your finger. Again, go slowly with this until they associate it with the treat. Then you can add some toothpaste to your finger and just rub the front canines with it. Once they have accepted that you can move onto trying to rub their back teeth with toothpaste on your finger. I wouldn't introduce the tooth brush until after they are okay with your finger. Actually, you don't even need to introduce a tooth brush if you don't mind just using your finger.

That's a good idea actually, so maybe I will just use my finger and if needed I can see if that rubber finger brush works well too :)
Thanks!

Ali Vixen

cat freak
Kitten
Purraise
MM, I never brush my cat's teeth--Am afraid she would bite me!! I take good care of my cat, it just never entered my mind to do this until now..:p