Teeth Brushing - Should There Be A Routine (same Time Daily Etc)

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with that brand P phobebon but if marketed specifically for cats hopefully it should be safe. Zinc chloride is used in some human mouthwash preparations to freshen breath and reduce bacteria breeding in plaque. What this paste is less likely to do than the enzyme pastes available is to prevent /remove plaque in addition to bacteria reduction. It would mean more brushing required which can be difficult esp if there isn't something your cat likes about the paste and the contact. CET and Logic are two readily available enzyme pastes for cats.
Mouse loves pretty much any attention and loves the poultry and fish flavour tooth pastes so I'm pretty lucky.
Oh thanks ~ enzyme pastes is new to me! I have to explore options here where I can find them. Is there any specific brand or website I can find references to these flavored ones you have mentioned?

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hilos! I am also thinking of how to improve on brushing my cat's teeth. Now I brush him with a soft toothbrush which i use to play with him like brushing his forehead and face and then gently move to him mouth. He don't seems to mind for the first few brush, then he will push away.

I was looking for a honest review of those gel I saw in the pet shops - Tropiclean gel for cats:
Fresh Breath by TropiClean: Oral Care Gel for Cats

which only requires me to make a few drops on the gums to work.
Any users before and is it safe for my cat?
Hi P phobebon

This was one of the options I considered for my kitties but ultimatly decided against it (for now) for two reasons. Most of the reviews say the cats hate it and foam and spit it out. So I thought to myself - well if it works that's great but if the cats hate it and spit it out how is it going to work? Also - if they hate it that much how much of a warzone is it going to be to get it to them. So I've paused for now.

I like that you play with the brush with him so he's got a positive association! What a great idea. I get around 10-20 seconds before kitties decide - wait - no - stop! and I have to struggle to get to finish. *sigh*

I'm not familiar with that brand P phobebon but if marketed specifically for cats hopefully it should be safe. Zinc chloride is used in some human mouthwash preparations to freshen breath and reduce bacteria breeding in plaque. What this paste is less likely to do than the enzyme pastes available is to prevent /remove plaque in addition to bacteria reduction. It would mean more brushing required which can be difficult esp if there isn't something your cat likes about the paste and the contact. CET and Logic are two readily available enzyme pastes for cats.
Mouse loves pretty much any attention and loves the poultry and fish flavour tooth pastes so I'm pretty lucky.
*nods* Everything I've read says that too.

You are so lucky that Mouse loves it! :-) Good kitty!

Oh thanks ~ enzyme pastes is new to me! I have to explore options here where I can find them. Is there any specific brand or website I can find references to these flavored ones you have mentioned?

Thanks!
I just bought some of the CET enzyme paste to try and it's arrived today. I bought it off Amazon. It comes in 5 flavors so maybe one your kitty will love?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Something that works for me is to lay out a heat pad. My cat’s lay on top of it and get super comfortable to the point that they don’t want to move. They don’t mind me brushing their teeth at all when they’re laying on it. :D

It’s become a nightly routine for us.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Something that works for me is to lay out a heat pad. My cat’s lay on top of it and get super comfortable to the point that they don’t want to move. They don’t mind me brushing their teeth at all when they’re laying on it. :D

I love it. Anything that convinces our cats they are being pampered when we look after them, even if there's a bit they don't like so much. :clap:. Mouse might actually think I'm treating him in the way he deserves if I added a heat pad to his tooth routine. :catrub:
I bet that could work well for claw clipping too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

:worship: Absolutely GENIUS!

I bet that could work well for claw clipping too.
:rockout: Two birds with one stone. Oh wow. Doing both teeth and nails on a heating pad could be a total game changer!

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here’s a video of me brushing Baguette’s teeth :D Im using CET and he really likes the flavor

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
mine doesn’t seem to mind. I just grab him and brush whenever i remember. It helps to have the toothbrush ready with a dollop of toothpaste on it :)

As for the getting used to finger in mouth thing, I think it’s more of getting used to having *my* finger near his mouth and trusting him not to chomp down on me. I started off doing it super gingerly... afraid that he would instinctively bite me. It took me a while to realize that I can just pry his mouth open and he doesn’t really mind. Your cat may differ!
I tried the seafood flavored toothpaste. I have the finger thing that I put my finger into and brush the teeth. Then I have this pointed brush.
On mistake I bought dog toothpaste and toothbrust=do not try this, waste of time and money.
I tried brushing her teeth for the first time. Her teeth are still yellow. Her breath doesn't smell AS MUCH. How long to I have to do this before I see change?

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried the seafood flavored toothpaste. I have the finger thing that I put my finger into and brush the teeth. Then I have this pointed brush.
On mistake I bought dog toothpaste and toothbrust=do not try this, waste of time and money.
I tried brushing her teeth for the first time. Her teeth are still yellow. Her breath doesn't smell AS MUCH. How long to I have to do this before I see change?
For Baguette, it took me some time before I realized that it was his back upper row of teeth that was attracting all the plaque. So when I brush, I try to focus in that area, you can see this in the video. I’m careful to get the actual teeth, because previously, even though I thought i was brushing the teeth, I was actually mostly getting his gums. It wasn’t until I opened his mouth an took good look that I realized where the problem was.

I really like the brush I’m using right now, sadly I don’t know where it’s from. I got it from a cat rescue lady who was moving out of town and posted some cat stuff on craigslist. When i went to pick up the item I wanted I mentioned to her that i’m having trouble finding the right toothbrush for baguette. The lady was like, oh you can try this one, and gave me the current tooth brush i’m using. I’ve tried to do some googling, but i’ve came up empty handed. I dont think it’s a toothbrush for cats :(

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
nunnc84 nunnc84 I think that plaque that has already built up significantly probably needs a vet to do a full clean. If teeth are just a little yellowed and some plaque you would see results pretty quickly. It's great to get your cat used to you doing some brushing either way so well done for getting started.

If your cat's breath has an unpleasant / strong odour it is unusual and indicates either an infection in the mouth or some other health problem. If you do smell bad breath and your cat hasn't seen a vet to check it out my advice is to take them along for a check up.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
nunnc84 nunnc84 I think that plaque that has already built up significantly probably needs a vet to do a full clean. If teeth are just a little yellowed and some plaque you would see results pretty quickly. It's great to get your cat used to you doing some brushing either way so well done for getting started.

If your cat's breath has an unpleasant / strong odour it is unusual and indicates either an infection in the mouth or some other health problem. If you do smell bad breath and your cat hasn't seen a vet to check it out my advice is to take them along for a check up.
Thanks she just saw the vet, she mentioned a cleaning. I'm trying to put it off with brushing.

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here’s a video of me brushing Baguette’s teeth :D Im using CET and he really likes the flavor

Wow, he is well-behaved! i bet mine will flip and smack by the second brush ahahah

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh recently I've been cooking bits of chicken for baguette. it seems to have helped with his stinky breath immensely, to the point where I haven't needed to brush for past week...

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got some stuff from the vet today for once a week. Just rub it on the gums.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I got some stuff from the vet, rub on the gums once a week.