Tear Staining

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a problem I've never had before. I'm fostering a 15 year old DLH with lovely pale butter colored fur. His eyes water a lot. He gets regular vet checks at the shelter, and he just had one last Thursday. So no eye infection.

I wash off the crusty dried tears each day with warm water on a cotton pad. Halo doesn't mind this much. But I'm wondering if I should be doing something else, or more. And particularly under his left eye, there is a dark stain from the tearing.

I read about a product called Eye Envy that is supposed to eliminate the staining. Does anyone have any experience with this, or another recommendation? From what I've read there is really no cure for this condition, and a lot of pure bred cats have this problem, as well as many dogs.

Advice will be appreciated.

Robin

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I haven't had that problem with any of my cats, so don't have any advice for you. You might try posting the question in the Breeders Corner. Someone who shows cats may have a solution for you. Good luck.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen something called Angel eyes on the pet sites (petsmart/1-800petmeds) that is supposed to be for that. You might want to check that out.  He sounds beautiful, you should post a picture for us. :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Posting in Breeders' Corner may get some more ideas. Good thought!

I may go to a cat show this weekend, and maybe I can get some advice there.

I did order the Eye Envy stuff. If it doesn't work, I'll try Angel Eyes. Thanks!

My groomer may have an idea, too.

I haven't posted any pictures of Halo yet because the week before he came home with me, the shelter staff gave him a severe shaving. He had mats, and they had to do I it. They left him a mane, but it's a bad lion cut. He's the color of a lion, so it should look good but it doesn't. And he has this tear staining. He had conjunctivitis, but that is over now. He just has eyes that water.

So, I wanted to post pictures when he looks like himself. Soon. His fur is growing. It's been 6 weeks since the shaving. I'll make sure he never gets mats again.

Robin

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't use Angel Eyes or any product similar to it. There was a big thing about it in the dog show world a few years ago. It's apparently a low dose of antibiotic, over time your pet can develop an immunity to that antibiotic so when something serious comes up the medication you get for it may not work. They may have changed their formula, but I doubt it. 

You can add apple cider vinegar with mother to the drinking water, it's supposed to help clear up tear stains. Also take a look at what you're feeding him or what they were feeding him. Beet pulp has been known to cause tear staining and can actually change the colour of the animals fur (I've seen cream coloured dogs turn red when fed it over a long period of time and then go back to cream when they've been taken off of it). Another possible cause could be a food intolerance, Sadie gets water eyes when she eats beef or grains. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, didn't know about that. God to know, thanks!!
I wouldn't use Angel Eyes or any product similar to it. There was a big thing about it in the dog show world a few years ago. It's apparently a low dose of antibiotic, over time your pet can develop an immunity to that antibiotic so when something serious comes up the medication you get for it may not work. They may have changed their formula, but I doubt it. 

You can add apple cider vinegar with mother to the drinking water, it's supposed to help clear up tear stains. Also take a look at what you're feeding him or what they were feeding him. Beet pulp has been known to cause tear staining and can actually change the colour of the animals fur (I've seen cream coloured dogs turn red when fed it over a long period of time and then go back to cream when they've been taken off of it). Another possible cause could be a food intolerance, Sadie gets water eyes when she eats beef or grains. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he ate junk at the shelter - Friskies and Fancy Feast. And lots of it, 11-12 oz. a day.

He has the beginning stages of CRF, so they were very concerned about keeping him eating. I've been gradually replacing this poor quality food with super premium foods. But they have to be slices in gravy, because that is what he likes. We are trying out a lot of cans. At this point, about half his food is the premium food. With the amount he eats, just feeding him these good foods, all the time, will add $90 to my cat food bill each month.

He's been getting an appropriate dose of L-lysine for the last 5 weeks, since I brought him home, in case his eye watering is due to herpes. Still watering, though, but maybe less. And the stains are brown under his eyes, his sweet, sparkling eyes, on his adorable face.

Thanks for the info on Angel Eyes, nerdrock.. I wonder if Eye Envy is like that. You mix apple cider vinegar with what?

Robin

Last edited:

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just put a capful or so in each water bowl that I have around the apartment. I put a tablespoon in the fountain though because it's bigger. 

wendyb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might look at adding Renavast to his diet.  Precious has CRF and I've seen an increase in her activity since I've started her on the suppliment.