Tapeworm Eggs

Sarahsunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello cat people. Today I noticed little sesame type eggs all over my cats tower. My cats don’t seem to have fleas and their stool is clear but I’m not sure what to do or how severe this is. I’ve scheduled a vet appointment in two days but is that all I can do?

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Tapeworm eggs are too small to see with the naked eye. What you can see is segments of tapeworms themselves, which look like grains of rice. From your picture, I think it looks like they could be tapeworms, but I can’t tell for sure. I’m happy to hear that you have a vet appointment scheduled. Ask them if they would like a stool sample, as they might want to run a fecal flotation test. Tapeworm eggs don’t always float on fecal tests (they’re larger than other parasite eggs), so be sure to show your vet that picture as well.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found this image that might help you decide:

Sesame seeds on the left, tapeworm on the right.

They do look very like tapeworm segments, don't they? Just take that picture with you to the vet's office. Nothing much to do in the mean time, but do institute a good hand washing regimen after handling the cats till this is resolved. Don't make yourself paranoid over it, but wash your hands.