Taking Time Off From Work For Spay Recovery?

Kittie_0413

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I have 2 kittens beyonce and Rosie. They are 4 months and I plan on getting them spayed next month. I’m just wondering if I should take days off from work to monitor them. They like to play fight with each other and jump up on the bed, couch, chairs, window.

I want to make sure that they don’t hurt them selves. Or since they will probably be sore or in pain from the surgery will they not play and jump as much.

I’ve been reading up on the recovery process and it’s recommended that they don’t jump but can you really stop a kitten from jumping lol

Just want to know what to expect with getting 2 kittens spayed at the same time.

Attachments

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only had one female spayed. Doctor gave me pre-loaded syringes of pain medication, which I administered for three days, as prescribed. No collar or onesie. She never bothered the sutures, and the incision healed with no issues. I took out the remaining sutures myself after 10 days.

Keeping her quiet was a chore. I put her in a bedroom with food, water, toys and litter box and although she complained a lot, it didn't go too badly.

Non-recognition aggression was worse, since she was there overnight. The two other cats weren't really bad to her, but it took about five days before all the hissing stopped.

The worst thing was that she came back from the Humane Society with fleas! Took me a month to get those guys under control.

If you can separate your two so they'll be quiet(er) for a few days, you probably won't need to take any time off. Just keep a close watch on the two patients and take them to the vet's office if anything seems amiss. Asking questions here doesn't hurt, either.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had my two girls spayed at the same time. They were fine. It was years ago but they were sleepy the first day, a bit sore the next and the third day they were back to their rambunctious selves. They had no problems. I didn’t separate them but it’s a good idea, if only for your piece of mind. Hope yours do great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittie_0413

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. Vince, that sucks that your cat came back with fleas :( Usually when I separate them by keeping one in the bedroom they stick their paws underneath the door lol but I will try.

Silkenpaw, I hope it goes as easy as your experience. I’m probably just overthinking it and causing myself to worry lol

Kittie_0413

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neko-chan's mama Neko-chan's mama sorry just now seeing your reply. My kittens were spayed this Sunday. When they came home they were up and alert I was expecting them to sleep most of the day lol. They were laying around resting and eating a lot. They kept hissing and growling at one another.

Monday they were back to their normal active selves. Jumping, running and carrying on.

V vince I think I saw a flea on Rosie this morning. She was spayed at a mobile neuter/spay clinic. Idk if my eyes were playing tricks on me but I really do think I saw a flea.

They were sent home with an e collar but I had to remove it so they could eat and it was a fight to get it back on after that so I’ve not put it back on. I purchased onesies but when I put them on they kept walking backwards. I’m off for a week so I’m just going to make sure they don’t lick their incisions.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The flea comb is pretty effective. I use it regularly to remove/ monitor flea population. Easy and non toxic. Just be careful of the incision area.
Whenever I take a cat to the vet I do scent swapping so nobody gets snubbed by the others. They all hate the scent of the vet.
Mine always seem to return with fleas! :( I do the flea comb over a white towel. Any flea that jumps is seen and usually burrows into the terry cloth.

Love the photo. I really would have liked to see them in the onesies but since they didn’t like that, don’t put them back into them. Lol Poor kitties.

Kittie_0413

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird thanks for the info. I’m
Going to go to petco tomorrow and buy a flea comb. Do you only use the flea comb and no topical or oral treatment? If so how often do you use the flea comb?

Rosie lol

Beyonce acting like she can’t move in the onesie

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhhh! The Onesies are soooo cute! Lolololol I have a cat that does the “not walking” if I try a harness on her. One of my cats loves her harness. I love your choice in the fabrics. The kitties just don’t realize they are beautiful in fur and in a onsie. :)

I do use a topical on the older kitties. I am also trying out Seresto collars but they aren’t working too well here. I live in a very warm humid place though. Lots of wildlife around here so I treat my yard this time of year even though my cats are indoor only.

The flea comb is an extra tool and it’s great. I get a deep bowl of Dawn dish liquid in water and as I comb out any fleas, I quickly dip the comb to remove the fleas. They drown in the soapy water. I have a couple of cats I can bathe but you cannot bathe a kitty after surgery. Most of my cats try to escape a bath though.

Thank you for the photos! I almost think Rosie is smiling! I smiled!

Kittie_0413

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird lol thanks. I wish they liked them they looked too cute in them :lol:.

The vet wrote a prescription for comfortis orange but it’s the 6-12 lb and they are currently 5 lbs so I’m not sure if that’ll be a problem or not. I’m still researching the best flea treatment for them, so In the mean time I will use the flea comb.

Rosie was definitely not smiling this was her reaction in motion :devilish:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhhh nooo! So sorry Rosie! :running:
That was not a smile. That was more like,” I want this OFF!” Oh my gosh. That was quite a statement! Sometimes our kitties speak very well without words. Lol Maybe it just wasn’t their style. But they are cute. My Lady would like them but my Banjo prefers fur.

I don’t know about the Comfortis because I think their is a 4-6 lb dose available. I would certainly call the vet to confirm before using it.

Thank you for the video! Even though that was expressing a vehement dislike, Rosie, you are adorable! I hope you didn’t eat your human! :p

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fleas can literally come from anywhere, you can bring them in on your pant leg, the eggs and larvae can lay dormant in your home/carpet/couch/nooks and crannies but months until they feel like coming alive and jumping on. Just throwing that out there. Might not have been the clinics fault.

Also any time one or both pets come back from the vet or out of the house, it is normal for them to hiss or growl at each other. They don't recognize the scent and therefore it is a possible intruder.