Taking My Cat To The Vet

Running Matches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got a kitten from a friend of mine who was giving them away. She’s 12 weeks old and her name is Adina but my question is how do I register and does she need to be registered in order to go to the vet. Adina's mother is not registered nor has she ever gone to see a vet. Everyone keeps telling me that I need to bring pet records with me to the vet clinic but how can I do that when I just got her. My friend isn’t a breeder by the way her cat got out of the house when she was in heat and she came back pregnant. Anyways this has really been frustrating me for the past week and I can’t seem to find anything about this topic.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you can just take your cat to a vet. Only pedigree cats are registered with a cat association. Other than that, you can put your cat in your name with a microchip registry, but that would only be done after the vet.

She needs vaccines now, and you can set up a spay date. Thank you for taking her in!

Please encourage your friend to spay her cat, too.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
When you make an appointment with a vet, tell them it's a new kitten and she and her mother never had vet care. They'll have to start her on her kitten shots, etc. and will simply need to know what has or hasn't been done. As far as registering her, you'll want to have her microchipped, and the vet clinic will give you instructions on how and where to register the microchip. That's a pretty simple matter that is done online - your name, address, phone/cell phone numbers, the cat's name and sex. Some vets wait until the cat is being spayed to implant the microchip, while others do it immediately. It's done by injection in the left side of the neck or between the shoulder blades, and most pets don't even flinch. Microchipping is very advisable in case a pet is lost.

How To Save Your Cat's Life With Proper Identification

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure they test her for Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS (FeLV and FIV). This is very important if her mother just got out of the house and got pregnant. Please please encourage your friend to spay her poor cat too. There are low cost options all over the place if that is an issue.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Next step is of course, if you want to have an insurance on her. I suppose the insurance company wants to have a clean bill of health from the vet.

If you insure, its of course on vet costs. Dont take any insurance of unexpected death or similiar. It just add the costs for you. And as you arent no breeder, dont take any breeder insurances either...

In USA it isnt that common people take insurances on domestic cats. In Sweden its quite common. It helps much if there is a medical issue, and you dont need to hazzle, do I afford the X-rays, the operation??
If you think the operation will really help, you just do it, withouth needing to think about money.