Taking In A Stray (advice Required!)

IfYouSeeLaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I'm just looking some advice.

My friend has had a stray cat that has been visiting her daily since June, I'm thinking about taking her in. My friend has been feeding her and built her a shelter outside, and has also been trying relentlessly to find the cat's owners (trying a paper collar, knocking on neighbours doors, posting on social media, speaking to the vets, contacting animal charities and regularly checking lost pet sites) but no one has come forward and she is not chipped. We think the cat was abandoned by a neighbour who hasn't been seen for many months. As it has been over 6 months since she turned up, and with no contact from an owner, do you think we are ok to presume she does not belong to anyone? The cat is extremely friendly and is always asking for attention, so I am still concerned she does belong to someone. Is this normal for a stray?

I knew about the cat when she originally started showing up, however I had no idea that she was still hanging around many months on. Unfortunately, my friend is unable to take her in as she has cat allergies, however I've decided to look after her (assuming she does not belong to anyone) because I can't bear the thought of her sleeping out in the cold. Hopefully this will be permanent and we will be her forever home, but if she does not like us we will look after her until we can find her somewhere else as all the local shelters are full and will not take her in.

We're hoping to catch her tomorrow and bring her home (she's super friendly and doesn't mind being picked up) and I have set up a room to keep her in over the next few days as she gets used to us and her new home. Please can someone give me some advice on helping her adjust to her new lifestyle? My sister's cats (who no longer live with me) have been exclusively indoor cats so I have no idea how to look after an outside cat. Obviously she will need to stay indoors for the first few weeks anyway, but would it be cruel to make her an indoor cat? I am concerned as there are lots of other cats and busy roads in the area so I think I would be constantly worried about her while she is out and panicking that she wont come back.

We know she is female as she has been taken to the vets before to try and find her owner, but we have no idea how old she is, if she has been spayed, if she has fleas/worms etc. I am planning on taking her to a vet again asap, but do you have any advice on what I should ask the vet or what injections/treatments will she need to make sure she is healthy? She has nothad kittens in the time she has been hanging around so is it possible she could have been spayed already or could it just be luck she has not had a litter yet? Is there a way to tell if a female has been spayed? I am also extremely concerned about her eyes as one pupil is slightly larger than the other and I know this can be serious, however when the vet looked at it before they said it was nothing to be worried about but I am not convinced.

Thank you for reading all of this, I just would love any help at all. I am probably just being overly cautious but I just want to make sure she is healthy and safe and make up for whatever her old owners did to her.

Laura x

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Laura-

I'm not technically qualified to answer your vet questions (others will chime in) , but will offer encouragement in that you *are* doing the right thing taking her in.
She being an obvious stray, I'd not blink, hesitate nor worry about any other (or prior) owner.

The cats safety, security and health is your foremost and primary concern. Let the ownership details settle in the dust thereafter. Sounds like you've done all you can to this point.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To add...her friendly and attention seeking indicate (IMHO) she's an ex housecat...in some level of distress and actually seeking ownership and a home.

Yes...take her in....sooner the better.

Re integration into a household...they do differ. The feral, "intact", violent Bug fought me for weeks....11 months now indoors he transformed wonderfully, though initially a rocky road. You'd never know he's the same cat...no more violence, very calm.
Princess...another stray...was in obvious distress....brought indoor happy, comfy in no time...she a a very willing participant.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she's yours now. :) I don't think it's cruel to make her an indoor only cat. I did it with my two ferals. My boy cat cried for 2 weeks, but he's fine now. I think the vet might be able to check for a spay scar. I would get spay and the 3 year Purevax rabies vaccine. There is also the 3 year Purevax FVRCP Distemper vaccine, which I think they recommend spacing out two or three weeks from the rabies one. Also ask about flea treatment like Frontline Plus, and Drontal de-wormer. For the eye, if it's runny, ask the vet about either oral antibiotics or Terramycin eye ointment.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Laura, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for having this interest in taking in this kitty and giving her a fur-ever warm and loving home. Bless your heart.

Looks like she’s an abandoned kitty else she won’t behave in this manner and also there no one coming forward to claim her. It could be from the home that had moved or she’s simply being dumped and no one wants to admit it.

It is not cruel to make her an indoor cat but it is cruel to leave her outside to defend for herself against the weather, wild animals and animal abusers. That is the best thing to do is to make her an indoor cat n

Since she’s super friendly and I assume she’s quite used to you, it should be no problem for her to adjust to your home, though it may take awhile as I believe that she has stayed in a house before.

Since she allows you to carry her, I suggest that you bring some towels and or blankets and wrap her up as you carrying her or lay the towels on the dry ground and feed her on it somas to het her scents on it and bring back the towels and put it in a safe room where you are going to contain her for the initial stage before you let her roam free in your house. This will make her more comfortable and have confidence as there are familiar scent around.

Once you can get her home, next step is to make an appointment with the vet to have her checked and vaccinated and if possible have her spayed Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

Here are some articles for you to read :-
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
First-time Cat Owner's Guide
Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
10 Essential Cat Safety Rules You Need To Know
Cats & Lilies: Avoid The Danger Lurking In Your Home
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat

Christmas is around the corner :-
11 Must-know Tips To Keep Cats Safe During The Holidays
Cats And Christmas Trees
Cats And Christmas - Tips For Cat Owners
Make the room and house cat safe and plug up any hiding holes like under the bed or holes behind the walls.

Get her a cat tree and some kitty toys. Ping pong balls or plastic practice golf balls, those with holes in them is good as she can chase them around the house and also get a feather wand with a long string. Play time is important to cats :-
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know

Get her a cardboard box too 52 Reasons Why Cats Must Get Inside Boxes

I hope I did not miss out on anything but please feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them under the appropriate forum headings and and do check out the many informative articles we have here too Articles | The Cat Site

Please keep us posted :wink:

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, great job, I think everything important has already been said!

Please, let us know how thing go with getting her inside your home and how she adjusts to it. If she is attached to you, she may want to be with you all the time during her adapting fase, my feral cat was terrified when I was not around. Just let her tell you what she needs, some cats require a lot of space and time, while some other just need a ton of love and attention. Mine was from the later kind, and she seemed to need physical contact to feel safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IfYouSeeLaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it.

The cat is now in her new home and I've booked her in for a vet appointment on monday night. I'm still a bit worried about her eye, but it doesn't seem to be running and she doesn't seem fussed about it. Her fur is a little matted on her belly and on her back legs (but her bum does seem to be clean). Any tips on how I can sort this out or is it something she will do on her own?

She's definitely an ex house cat, she's been so relaxed. I thought maybe the move would freak her out but she seems more curious than anything. Shes been eating and grooming herself so I'm presuming this is a good thing and that she feels safe. She keeps wanting more food but I'm trying not to give her too much as I don't want to upset her stomach.

To be honest, I'm worried that she's been *too* easy to settle in...she is so calm and keeps snuggling down in her cat bed. She doesn't seem scared and is still very friendly. Im not sure if this is just because she was a house cat or if maybe she's sick?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it.

The cat is now in her new home and I've booked her in for a vet appointment on monday night. I'm still a bit worried about her eye, but it doesn't seem to be running and she doesn't seem fussed about it. Her fur is a little matted on her belly and on her back legs (but her bum does seem to be clean). Any tips on how I can sort this out or is it something she will do on her own?

She's definitely an ex house cat, she's been so relaxed. I thought maybe the move would freak her out but she seems more curious than anything. Shes been eating and grooming herself so I'm presuming this is a good thing and that she feels safe. She keeps wanting more food but I'm trying not to give her too much as I don't want to upset her stomach.

To be honest, I'm worried that she's been *too* easy to settle in...she is so calm and keeps snuggling down in her cat bed. She doesn't seem scared and is still very friendly. Im not sure if this is just because she was a house cat or if maybe she's sick?
You are already doing everything you are supposed to do :) If she was a house Cat as we believe, she must be feeling extremelly relieved of being safe at home again, and that can be the reason why she is adjusting so well.

Unless she is letargic or showing pain, I wouldn't worry, just wait until you vet apointment ;)

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm convinced some wandering, "dumped" cats actively seek homes, in their own way. They sense they'll be fed, secure and in a caring environment....based on their past experiences.

Sounds like she's "HOME". You're doing a fine job. Put your trust in the vet for the health issues...you concentrate on providing the warmth, security, food and affection.

Pics?

IfYouSeeLaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm convinced some wandering, "dumped" cats actively seek homes, in their own way. They sense they'll be fed, secure and in a caring environment....based on their past experiences.

Sounds like she's "HOME". You're doing a fine job. Put your trust in the vet for the health issues...you concentrate on providing the warmth, security, food and affection.

Pics?

Thank you for your help, I'm glad you think she's doing well. This is her:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Laura-

I'm not technically qualified to answer your vet questions (others will chime in) , but will offer encouragement in that you *are* doing the right thing taking her in.
She being an obvious stray, I'd not blink, hesitate nor worry about any other (or prior) owner.

The cats safety, security and health is your foremost and primary concern. Let the ownership details settle in the dust thereafter. Sounds like you've done all you can to this point.
:yess: :yeah:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley::hithere::welcomesign::noob: She is adorable! Bless you for saving this lovely girl. Has she let you know her name yet? I do believe she had been abandoned and please give your friend a great big hug for all they did to take care of her and try to find if she belonged to someone. Personally, I think it was probably the people who moved away. Let us know how the vet visit goes and post lots and lots of photos.:camera: With those beautiful white against the black, the one you posted would go great in the 'Show us the Whiskers" thread. She looks totally comfortable in her new home with you. Our Gypsy was a stray when she first adopted us. Since we live in a quiet safe neighborhood we allowed her to still come and go as she pleased for a few months until she showed up limping from what the vet said was a healed puncture wound. She only goes out now in her walking jacket with one or both of us.:hellocomputer: :bicolorcat:
HUSniff.jpg

Last edited:

IfYouSeeLaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, just thought I'd post quick update...we've been to the vets today and the little lady is perfectly healthy! I'm so relieved I've been so worried about her since we caught her on Friday. The vet had a look at her eye and it looks like she has some scar tissue under her eyelid from an old injury which is causing it to water. The vet said that it should be ok. She also had her first lot of vaccinations and shes going back in 3 weeks for another one and to get chipped.

Belle (as she is now known) is doing really well and is settling in great. Shes already litter trained which is such a relief and has even been napping on my lap so I think she's comfortable.

Thank you all so much for your kind words xxx