Taking Care of Strays Outside in the Cold - Need Suggestions!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're very welcome!!
Are the strays well fed? If they have plenty of weight and coat, they should be fine provided they can get out of the wind and cold.
Maybe move the boxes a tiny bit each day so it's not a huge change for them. I'm glad you're looking out for them. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're very welcome!!
Are the strays well fed? If they have plenty of weight and coat, they should be fine provided they can get out of the wind and cold.
Maybe move the boxes a tiny bit each day so it's not a huge change for them. I'm glad you're looking out for them. :)
Yes very good idea. The cats thank you!

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S sil , I'm not sure how the cats would react to fan heaters due to the noise and air movement.

You might be better off with the heated cat beds such as the K&H Extreme Weather Heated Kitty Pad which is what I am using in my outdoor cat house. They also make a smaller version K&H outdoor heated small bed which I'm using in a styrofoam cooler cat house.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm looking for a means of warmth for. In my building is a storage room made of brick and mortar with no door with cardboard boxes and food for these strays. This room has the dimensions of 12 x 8 x 4. Cold winter air enters in there since theres no door. I was thinking of buying 3 heating fans to blow hot air to circulate in the storage space. Do you think this is a good idea?
Your best option for warranted in this type of weather is straw. You can use those Styrofoam coolers and pack them with straw. The kitties will go inside. If you lay them on their side, try to redirect the opening away from any drafts of air. But the kitties will borrow down in the straw, you could even get a very tall cardboard box and just fill it full of straw. Flip it on its side so they can just crawl in they'll make their own nests. that's your best option. Good luck. This weather is brutal.

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your best option for warranted in this type of weather is straw. You can use those Styrofoam coolers and pack them with straw. The kitties will go inside. If you lay them on their side, try to redirect the opening away from any drafts of air. But the kitties will borrow down in the straw, you could even get a very tall cardboard box and just fill it full of straw.
But a small heating fan would direct heat towards their cardboard boxes. That way heat is focused into their space. But I can add a heating pad also for extra warmth.

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
S sil , I'm not sure how the cats would react to fan heaters due to the noise and air movement.
Its worth a shot.

You might be better off with the heated cat beds such as the K&H Extreme Weather Heated Kitty Pad which is what I am using in my outdoor cat house. They also make a smaller version K&H outdoor heated small bed which I'm using in a styrofoam cooler cat house.
Those heating pads are expensive. Do you know of other less expensive heating pads which are weight triggered?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S sil if you try the heater fans, make sure they have an automatic tip over protection so if they would fall over, the heat would automatically shut off. We have a pet friendly space heater in our cattery for extra warmth (and it has been getting quite the work out lately) and it has this feature. I've tested it a few times. It's worth the extra peace of mind.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S sil , I haven't really looked at other cheaper options than the 2 I listed that had great reviews, longevity and deemed safe for pets.

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
S sil , I haven't really looked at other cheaper options than the 2 I listed that had great reviews, longevity and deemed safe for pets.
Thanks dude! I think I got this situation under control. I covered the entrance to the storage room with a tarp and added a space heater which looks like its doing the trick!!!

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
S sil if you try the heater fans, make sure they have an automatic tip over protection so if they would fall over, the heat would automatically shut off. We have a pet friendly space heater in our cattery for extra warmth (and it has been getting quite the work out lately) and it has this feature. I've tested it a few times. It's worth the extra peace of mind.
Apologies again for my late reply.

Yes! The heater fan or space heater I bought (for cheap btw) has 2 modes of protection: tip over protection and auto overheat shut off. I'm way ahead of you partner! The heater has been on for 2 days straight now and I haven't turned it off. This is a bit of concern since I dont want to risk damaging the heater. But I think the cold per se mitigates any overheating of the unit. But as soon as it gets warmer I'm turning it off just to be on the safe side.

Today, I managed to cover the entrance of the storage room with a large tarp, tucking extra tarp into the recesses of the gate to prevent as much outside cold from seeping in. The gate is crazy rusty and old, btw.

The tarp, coupled with the space heater, surprisingly produces a warmer storage room noticeably warmer than the outside cold. For specifics, its presently 27 degrees now. After I covered the entrance, the storage room felt 15 - 20 degrees warmer. Assuming the heat further builds up from the space heater with the tarp keeping that heat from escaping, its possible it can get 20 - 30 degrees warmer which is very impressive. This is subjectively based as I'm no expert in this area. Btw, when it gets hot in the summer, I assume the cold gets trapped in there as brick and mortar do a great job of absorbing heat, leaving the area cool.

I'm sure the crazy little cats will enjoy themselves better now! So lets see what happens tomorrow. I'll report any changes.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Apologies again for my late reply.

Yes! The heater fan or space heater I bought (for cheap btw) has 2 modes of protection: tip over protection and auto overheat shut off. I'm way ahead of you partner! The heater has been on for 2 days straight now and I haven't turned it off. This is a bit of concern since I dont want to risk damaging the heater. But I think the cold per se mitigates any overheating of the unit. But as soon as it gets warmer I'm turning it off just to be on the safe side.

Today, I managed to cover the entrance of the storage room with a large tarp, tucking extra tarp into the recesses of the gate to prevent as much outside cold from seeping in. The gate is crazy rusty and old, btw.

The tarp, coupled with the space heater, surprisingly produces a warmer storage room noticeably warmer than the outside cold. For specifics, its presently 27 degrees now. After I covered the entrance, the storage room felt 15 - 20 degrees warmer. Assuming the heat further builds up from the space heater with the tarp keeping that heat from escaping, its possible it can get 20 - 30 degrees warmer which is very impressive. This is subjectively based as I'm no expert in this area. Btw, when it gets hot in the summer, I assume the cold gets trapped in there as brick and mortar do a great job of absorbing heat, leaving the area cool.

I'm sure the crazy little cats will enjoy themselves better now! So lets see what happens tomorrow. I'll report any changes.
This solution sounds MORE than ideal! Bless you for taking such wonderful care of these cats!! Not only will it be warmer but keeping the drafts down is going to help tremendously.
I'm sure these little cats are feeling pretty smug in their new "house"! :)