Taking a step back …. Advice welcome

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update time! The cats have settled in, but Bandit is still sometimes stalking Lion, so we don’t do any unsupervised visits. Venom gets the run of the house most of the time, since he’s good with both Bandit (his mom) and Lion. Lion is delighted to have a playmate, and they get on very well. We just never know with Bandit. Sometimes she’s fine hanging out in the same room with Lion, other times she’s got laser focus on him, and though we don’t let her, she keeps trying to run at him. When she’s in that mood, of course, we end that session right away. It’s been almost 6 months since we took them in, so it looks like they’ll be on the longer side of adjusting.

On another note, Venom is growing! He’s about 10 months old, and getting long and lanky. He’s a snuggler! You just have to look at him, and he starts purring! He got neutered about 6 weeks ago, and all went well.

Bandit now has a soft coat…her fur was very short and wiry when we first brought her in, but it has grown in nicely. She hasn’t grown much bigger (though she has filled out), and Venom is already bigger than she is. I’m wondering if she’ll always be small, since she was underfed as a kitten. She’s a lap cat on her own terms. If she initiates an interaction, she’s all for pets and scratches. If not, she looks at you like you’ve offended her and she walks away. Such personality!

Lion is his usual relaxed self, and while he’s wary when we set up an interaction between him and Bandit, he knows we’ll remove her if she runs at him, and he stays where he is. If she’s in an ignoring mood, he’ll relax more. He’s been asking for extra cuddles, which he always receives. I swear, that one would be perfectly happy if we had a baby carrier for him! 😄 He loves his time with Venom, and they are great playmates.

Whichever cats are in the main part of the house when we get home, greet us at the door, so us humans have been accepted as family…even my husband, who Bandit was originally wary of. She’s still cautious with strangers, and may always be, but that’s ok.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is wonderful. I'm so happy they found you. It's a precious home willing to stick with cat rotations long term. I still have hope she will settle in further for you in the future. It can take a long time to unlearn street behaviour for cats.