Tabby Or Bengal Mix? Jack Is A Big Almost 2 Yo. Very Vocal. Stalks & Wrestles With The Dog.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
donnae donnae you are right, even though vets have to study cat and dog breeds, most of them do so from a theoretical perspective, and they may never see an individual of the breeds they study.
As regards to your question about pattern, yes your cat is a tabby, just like all bengals are tabby. They just happen to have their very own kind of tabby, being It rosetted, spotted, marbled or a mixture of them.
Ideally, bengals' patterns should be:
-random
-asymmetric
-showing horizontal flow
-clearly defined
-showing great contrast
Note that I said "ideally". I have seen purebreeds from good breeders that lack one or more of these characteristics. They are pet quality, but not less bengal for that.
As regards to ticked hair, It is not a desirable trait, but it occurs even among purebreeds (southern ALC do not have this trait, but the others do, and siempre of the domestic cat breeds used un foundation bengals have this trait too, so is something not that easy to get rid of). Is his ticking very obvious in person? In the pictures he seems to have mostly a well defined pattern. The softness of fur you describe, on the other hand, is one of the distinctive traits of bengal breed.
Finally, I would say Jack is a cool toned brown marbled tabby, rather than a tarnished silver, but this is something difficult to judge without the cat in front of me.
Of course, all my observations about you cat are just my opinion, so don't take them as anything else than that ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a lot of great info that I didn't know. Thanks Alejandra! When I say ticked fur, I believe it to mean 3 colors on one strand. Is that correct? You don't notice it in his coat, I saw it on a loose fur in the sunlight. In the sunlight, his coat looks shiny. I saw one of your cats in the tabby forum. That would be rosette markings or spotted?
1mkrkh.gif

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Such a lovely video!
I see what you mean, you are refering to the structure of the hair, not to the global effect, but usually ticking leads to a blurry pattern, that is why I asked if It is more obvious in person.
You saw Freya! She has rosettes (the center of the rosettes must be different both from background and outline colors, ideally showing great contrast, thus rosettes have two colors plus the background; while spots are a second color over the background, so only two colors), clouded type rosettes, to be more precise.
I'll share a link to a breeder's page where many interesting facts about bengal patterns and colors are explained brilliantly.
Kingsmark Bengals & Serengeti Cats
There you can see different colors, spotts, rosettes, marbling types and some other effects, such as glitter and patina.
If I can be of any help, don't doubt to ask me ;)
Here you can see better Freya's rosettes. The light is terrible, as my night table's lamp is the only source of light in the picture, but her pattern is still visible.
IMG_20170830_022548.jpg

Last edited:

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Such a lovely video!
I see what you mean, you are refering to the structure of the hair, not to the global effect, but usually ticking leads to a blurry pattern, that is why I asked if It is more obvious in person.
You saw Freya! She has rosettes (the center of the rosettes must be different both from background and outline colors, ideally showing great contrast, thus rosettes have two colors plus the background; while spots are a second color over the background, so only two colors), clouded type rosettes, to be more precise.
I'll share a link to a breeder's page where many interesting facts about bengal patterns and colors are explained brilliantly.
Kingsmark Bengals & Serengeti Cats
There you can see different colors, spotts, rosettes, marbling types and some other effects, such as glitter and patina.
If I can be of any help, don't doubt to ask me ;)
Here you can see better Freya's rosettes. The light is tero le, as It is my night table's lamp the only source of light in the picture, but her pattern is still visible.
View attachment 198189
Beautiful baby! Thank you for the link, I'll check it out.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico
Sorry, I did not claim it was only my thought that it was a mixed Bengal. How did you decide tha? In responding to the OP I don't have to acknowledge every pervious poster and am perfectly capable of forming my own thoughts. I wrote my opinion. I did not drag others into my post. It seems you have control issues, I will keep in mind to ignore further posts of yours in the future. Don't let your imagination get carried away.

Mango's Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Mango ( born July 1,2017) from our local animal shelter last September. My baby is now 6 months old.
He made me so curious about his background because of things like, he looks quite a bit different that cats I have seen, he is long and with silky sleek coat, he moves like in a hunter mode with his head jutting and he is sooo agile, sits on my lap on the throne, chirps/meeps quite a bit ; coat feels sooo slick but most of all becUse my daughters keep saying to me --what kind of exotic animal did you get mom?! He looks weird.( I guess different from the bicolour and orange tabbies we have had)
I know there is a chance you won't even be able to answer my question but if you do, you would give me a lot of joy! ( I have spent so many hours scouring the internet until I finally ended up on your site). I guess I just want to know if you think Mango has a little Bengal in him. This way I can try and read more into what makes them a little different and maybe be able to love and take care of him better and more individually.
I have attached some photos of my cutie
The last photo which consist of 3 on left side ( disclosure: photos of a two toned marble Bengal cat I found on a breeder site on the internet --after hours and hours of perusing! And the photos on the right side are Mango's.
It just seems uncanny ...
Thanks for any feedback!

Mango's mama

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adopted Mango ( born July 1,2017) from our local animal shelter last September. My baby is now 6 months old.
He made me so curious about his background because of things like, he looks quite a bit different that cats I have seen, he is long and with silky sleek coat, he moves like in a hunter mode with his head jutting and he is sooo agile, sits on my lap on the throne, chirps/meeps quite a bit ; coat feels sooo slick but most of all becUse my daughters keep saying to me --what kind of exotic animal did you get mom?! He looks weird.( I guess different from the bicolour and orange tabbies we have had)
I know there is a chance you won't even be able to answer my question but if you do, you would give me a lot of joy! ( I have spent so many hours scouring the internet until I finally ended up on your site). I guess I just want to know if you think Mango has a little Bengal in him. This way I can try and read more into what makes them a little different and maybe be able to love and take care of him better and more individually.
I have attached some photos of my cutie
The last photo which consist of 3 on left side ( disclosure: photos of a two toned marble Bengal cat I found on a breeder site on the internet --after hours and hours of perusing! And the photos on the right side are Mango's.
It just seems uncanny ...
Thanks for any feedback!

Mango's mama
Hello Mango's Mama Mango's Mama welcome! Mango is very beautiful. How wonderful that the two of you found each other. He looks like my boys. I was very curious about whether Capt KitKat Jack might be part bengal. I'll never know for sure, but love him the same anyway . My little guy, Major Tom Snickers was born July 10th, 2017 so he is close in age to Mango. You can see in the picture below that he has the tabby markings too and although the vet says he is almost full grown, (1st picture) you can see the difference in size between him and Jack. Jack's size compared to other kittens at the shelter was part of what made me curious about his heritage. Maybe StefanZ StefanZ or Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico would offer an opinion on Mango. Hope to see more pics of Mango around the site!

Snapchat-997573263.jpg
IMG_20171119_212437.jpg

Mango's Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Mango's Mama Mango's Mama welcome! Mango is very beautiful. How wonderful that the two of you found each other. He looks like my boys. I was very curious about whether Capt KitKat Jack might be part bengal. I'll never know for sure, but love him the same anyway . My little guy, Major Tom Snickers was born July 10th, 2017 so he is close in age to Mango. You can see in the picture below that he has the tabby markings too and although the vet says he is almost full grown, (1st picture) you can see the difference in size between him and Jack. Jack's size compared to other kittens at the shelter was part of what made me curious about his heritage. Maybe StefanZ StefanZ or Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico would offer an opinion on Mango. Hope to see more pics of Mango around the site!

View attachment 213954 View attachment 213955
Awwwww Capt KitKat Jack is sooo handsome! I'm excited to see Mango grow up too. Our babies warm our hearts so much ❤don't they?--I just can't help but fall in love with him every day. You are soooo right, it doesn't matter his 'heritage' I adore my little furball so much.
Major Tom Snickers looks like a good fwend to Jack and just as handsome .