Tabby Or Bengal Mix? Jack Is A Big Almost 2 Yo. Very Vocal. Stalks & Wrestles With The Dog.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Few more notes: He has very soft fur, like a rabbit, jumps incredibly high (over the shower door) wants to check out whats going on when you are in the bathroom and hangs out in the highest spots in any room. Very friendly & laid back. Best buds with the dog. Talks up a storm.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
While its not unusual to be friendly and even wrestle with the dog, but he has very nice looks for a common classic black and silver tabby. also his being energetic and intelligent.

My bid is he HAS a fresh marble bengal ancestry, probably even a natural son.

Bengals being energetic and intelligent, I suppose the studs quite often manage to escape - and help to rebuild up the cat population in the country. :)

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the quick reply Stefanz. I'm considering getting a DNA test done just because I'm curious and didn't want to spend the $ if people who would know thought he was obviously a DSH tabby. Found him at the shelter when he was 10 months and vet said he was just a striped cat.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am with StefanZ StefanZ , I think he is 50% bengal, you boy has the looks of a bengal, that is for sure, and by the things you said he also has the behaviour.
A good profile picture of his face, and one from the front can help us to tell how close to the breed he looks.

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Alejandra, Here are a couple of his face. In the profile, his ears are pulled back further than normally. Guess he didn't like the smell of the flowers. I'm new to forums, so I'm trying to figure out how to navigate. I did find how to add media to the gallery tho ;)

Attachments

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is a good skull shape for a Bengal, indeed. I would say his face is a little thinner than what most male bengals are expected to show, but he is, nontheless, gorgeous.
A lovely, beautiful boy. Jack and you are Lucky of having found each other!

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. He has a vet appointment tomorrow and now that he is more grown, it'll be interesting to see if she has changed her mind. I'd really like to see about getting him involved in modeling.

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Appreciate it! There is just sooo much info out there, but that one was too the point. We have been working on tricks. He does sit on command and is getting better at leash walking outside. I'm going to check with the local humane society since that is where we got him. They probably have a calendar.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pretty pattern. Bengals have small heads relative to their body and longer hind legs. He may be a bengal mix, doesn't seem full Bengal. The marble pattern is not exclusive to Bengals but is an old tabby pattern.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pretty pattern. Bengals have small heads relative to their body and longer hind legs. He may be a bengal mix, doesn't seem full Bengal. The marble pattern is not exclusive to Bengals but is an old tabby pattern.
The hypothesis all of us hace been playing with is that one of his parents or a gradfather was a bengal, not that he is a purebreed. Therefore, we cannot expect this cat to show all of the characteristics of the breed because he has obviously some other influence. However, I wouldn't say the head of this cat is big, and bengals are supposed to have moderate to slightly small head in proportion to the body, longer than It is wide.
abyeb abyeb pointed out that his marbling is random, thus distinguishing it from the clasic tabby pattern. Moreover, I see a nice horizontal flow in his marbling. We could see if there is asymmetry in body pattern with a propper picture of each side, but I still insist that, being Jack a bengal X, It is logical if he does not show all the traits of the breed.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico
I don't see what was wrong in what I wrote, I gave my opinion that he is a bengal mix, whether people agree or said similar is not the issue, I was posting my view.

I gave a few areas I think he differs from a typical bengal, that being his head and legs. I think his head is average for a cat, not on the small side per his body, as I understand is typical for a Bengal.

Bengals are a mix of various cats including domestic tabbys. The different lines have some variation in the input but they are bred for certain characteristics, of which he is off on a few.
I would not be surprised if a parent was Bengal though.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is not that what you wrote was wrong in content, S Summercats , but that they way in which you wrote It suggested that either you hadn't read the previous posts and therefore came with the very same conclusion reached by other members and claimed it as yours only, or that you considered previous opinions irrelevant.
Again, I highlight what I previously said, as from the very begining we were talking about a mix, It is just obvious that Jack cannot have all the characteristics of a bengal cat. If he had, he would be either a genetics miracle or a purebreed without papers. No one here has suggested such thing, because purebreed bengals cannot pretend to be any other kind of Cat, they are quite obvious in appearence.

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jack had his check up and he is a big boy. Not quite 2 yo and 11.6 lbs. Dr. said he looks like he may be a Bengal mix, but then asked me if Bengals were a color pattern or breed. I remember reading on this site somewhere that vets know vet medicine, but not necessarily breeds and found that first hand today. There is currently no DNA testing available for cats yet. Tech said there have actually seen conflicting results in dog DNA testing between swab method and blood samples, so buyer beware. Jack does seem to be somewhat symmetrical on his markings between right and left side. His fur is "ticked", not sure if that is a Bengal trait or not. And although he appears silver & black, he has a brown/ cream undertone. Like Summercat said above, the pattern could be tabby. Who knows?? We love him regardless. And yes, it is a dog, lol