Switching to Scheduled Feedings/Feeding Cats with Urinary Issues

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! This post has 2 parts:

1). How to switch my cats with different eating patterns to scheduled feedings?
2). Is urinary specific food really necessary for my cat who developed a bladder stone? (Bladder stone is gone now).

Part One:

I have 2 female cats that I need help developing a new feeding schedule for. The older cat (Mayo) was recently diagnosed with a bladder crystal, which we were luckily able to dissolve with a prescription diet. Since her diagnoses, I have decided to switch her to a wet food only diet to increase her moisture intake and prevent future stones. I would like to switch both cats to a wet food diet for convenience sake, and put them on an eating schedule of 2-3 times per day.

My struggle with this is that Mayo is a grazer. I struggle to even get her to finish 2 cans a day. She eats probably 8-10 times a day, in small quantities. Brian (yes, she is female :lol:), on the other hand, loves wet food and would eat 5 cans at once if I let her. Brian is the more dominant cat, and will push Mayo out of the way to eat her food if I wasn't watching. I work from home, so I am around to watch the cats when they're being fed, and I also have the convenience of being able to feed them multiple times a day. Is there a way I can train Mayo to be on a eating schedule instead of just allowing her to eat throughout the day?

Part Two:

Mayo's vet recommended I put her on a prescription diet for the remainder of her life. It's too expensive, and I simply cannot afford it, even if I wanted to. I expressed this concern to her vet, who told me the most important thing to prevent future stones was to make sure she is getting enough water because the minerals cannot over-develop with antiquate moisture intake. When I was treating her stone, I was mixing water into her wet food 2-3 times a day to increase her water intake, which I plan on continuing. I know there are over-the-counter urinary diets for cats, but they are still pretty pricey, especially considering I want to keep both cats on the same diet. Both cats really like Fancy Feast, which her vet has recommended in the past as a good and affordable wet food option. If possible, I'd like to switch both cats to Fancy Feast, and mix water in to up the moisture content. Has anyone had any positive/negative experiences switching their cats back to a regular food after a urinary crystal? I believe switching from a dry diet to a wet diet, as well as adding water to the food, is a good compromise to the expensive food, but I want to see if anyone has had experience with this.

Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi (again)! I won't belabor you with all the details/history, but I think perhaps you could do a combination of the prescription canned food and FF which will lower your overall costs. Feeby has long been past her oxalate stones (for which she had to have surgery), but I think getting her off dry, and then eventually adding FF to her prescription canned food seems to be a success for her/me. I do add a bit of water as well, although she is a pretty good water-drinker on her own. If I were you, I would keep up the combination for maybe a year, or at least until her next senior check up to see how she is doing.

As far as the feeding schedules, without timed feeders and separate feeding locations, I wouldn't know how to accomplish it. Feeby has been, is, and always will be a grazer - even with canned food only. There is no way I can get her to eat enough if I don't allow her almost continual access to food. She generally wants to take a couple or three bites, walk away, come back, repeat, repeat, repeat. If I deny her access to food - well, then, she just doesn't eat as much as a result. If you could feed them with timed feeders in separate locations, you could also consider only giving Mayo the prescription food, thereby lowering your costs even more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi (again)! I won't belabor you with all the details/history, but I think perhaps you could do a combination of the prescription canned food and FF which will lower your overall costs. Feeby has long been past her oxalate stones (for which she had to have surgery), but I think getting her off dry, and then eventually adding FF to her prescription canned food seems to be a success for her/me. I do add a bit of water as well, although she is a pretty good water-drinker on her own. If I were you, I would keep up the combination for maybe a year, or at least until her next senior check up to see how she is doing.

As far as the feeding schedules, without timed feeders and separate feeding locations, I wouldn't know how to accomplish it. Feeby has been, is, and always will be a grazer - even with canned food only. There is no way I can get her to eat enough if I don't allow her almost continual access to food. She generally wants to take a couple or three bites, walk away, come back, repeat, repeat, repeat. If I deny her access to food - well, then, she just doesn't eat as much as a result. If you could feed them with timed feeders in separate locations, you could also consider only giving Mayo the prescription food, thereby lowering your costs even more.

Thanks (again), for your response! Unfortunately, even feeding both cats exclusively FF will be a strain on my budget, so the prescription food is not an option at all. I wish it were. I'm going to continue feeding the prescription diet for another month or so, but then we've got to come off it. I can't afford to keep it up, even mixing it with FF.

For the timed feeders, do you know if they have anything like that for wet food? I've seen it for dry, but didn't know that was an option for wet. I do currently feed them in separate rooms. Brain will eat her entire can literally within 1-2 minutes, and when she's done, she goes over to where Mayo is fed and tries to push her out of the way to get to her food. I feed Mayo in my office, so I can watch her, but I can't always been watching when it takes her 4-5 hours to finish one can, especially when she needs access to it overnight as well to get her full caloric intake. I'm really stressing on how to accomplish this because it seems impossible.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here are some examples of timed feeders for wet food (see link below). There are also chip operated feeders that you could use for Mayo. That won't stop Brian from trying to shove her way to Mayo's food, but Brian's timed feeder could have less in each section, and allow her eat a lot of times, but just less at one time?
Best 7 Automatic Wet Food Feeders For Cats | Comparison & Reviews

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are some examples of timed feeders for wet food (see link below). There are also chip operated feeders that you could use for Mayo. That won't stop Brian from trying to shove her way to Mayo's food, but Brian's timed feeder could have less in each section, and allow her eat a lot of times, but just less at one time?
Best 7 Automatic Wet Food Feeders For Cats | Comparison & Reviews
Thanks, that's helpful! I was looking into getting each cat their own microchip feeder. That way, I can keep Brian on the dry diet (she gets a little canned food once per day too), and Mayo can have her special diet. They're a little expensive, but might be worth the initial investment if it saves me money down the line.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure for FF you are not feeding any fish type ones. Wet food really is better then dry food by far so the more wet food you can feed the better. Sometimes you can get some brands of wet food in the very large cans for cheap to. Cats do get bored on wet food sometimes, so what I did was buy the still good quality wet food that was on sale. It saved quite a bit of money. You could even look into DIY raw, it can be even cheaper then dry food but has to be done correct lol. Its great for cats with urinary issues due to the high water content in the raw. Some that switched to raw had no issues since :)

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Make sure for FF you are not feeding any fish type ones. Wet food really is better then dry food by far so the more wet food you can feed the better. Sometimes you can get some brands of wet food in the very large cans for cheap to. Cats do get bored on wet food sometimes, so what I did was buy the still good quality wet food that was on sale. It saved quite a bit of money. You could even look into DIY raw, it can be even cheaper then dry food but has to be done correct lol. Its great for cats with urinary issues due to the high water content in the raw. Some that switched to raw had no issues since :)
Is there any reason in particular I shouldn’t be feeding the fish ones? Those are her favorite. She’s not always a fan of the chicken or beef flavors and sometimes outright refuses to eat them. I’ve been thinking of going raw as well. Any suggestions on raw brands?

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I have never heard of that. I’ll look into it. Thanks!!

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you live in the USA , Tractor Supply has a house brand called Paws and Claws that works well for me too.

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I’ll have to check that one out too. Not sure where the closest Tractor Supply is to me.