Switching to EVO, then maybe raw.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow - that is just GREAT news!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Running, happy, playing active kitties with shiny, silky coats sounds just fabulous! :lol3: :bigthumb:

About the weight loss... I'm sure a vet would be more comfortable with a loss of about 3 oz a week or so at those starting weights. So those numbers are a little higher than complete comfort level... but you know the risks, and you're there watching them. :) I expect the rate of loss will taper with time anyway. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well fudge, I can never expect things to go as planned. I'm highly irritated tonight. This may be long and blog-like so I will apologize in advance.

We have increased our efforts in ensuring the cats get lots of playtime and have even gotten them lots of new toys. We got da bird, a wand with shiny, stringy mentally looking strands at the end and a new laser pointer. We've been very busy playing with all them. I watch the stringy wand very closely and clean up any stray strands when they fall off so the cats won't eat them. I mean literally, as soon as they break off I pick them up mid-session.

So, last night I was playing with the toys and went to the kitchen to get the laser pointer, I was carrying the stringy wand and bird and Simon was chasing them since I let them trail behind me. Kept playing, everyone had fun and then we put everything up and settled in to watchout shows. That's when DH found it, a HUGE wad of the strands from the stringy wand that had vomited up behind the couch! How the heck one of them got a wad that huge is beyond me. I can NOT figure it out.

The other issue is that Simon won't eat the wet food. I just weighed him and he's lost 2 oz since Saturday. So now I'm all paranoid that the stringy toy is wrapped around his intestines, even though he hasn't wanted to eat real well since Saturday.

Therefore, I gave him some dry food tonight. But before he ate, he was doing that dry heave thing cats do but didn't get anything up. He did however get a hairball up yesterday afternoon. At least I'm pretty sure it was Simon, he's the only one that throws up the texture that it was. He ate the dry OK but he didn't devour it. Oh, and someone got the lid off Riley's dry food last night and ate all of it too.

So, either he's got strings wrapping around his intestines or a really upset belly due to hairballs. Or, he has decided, after I bought a case online, that he doesn't like the food anymore. Or, he just hates me in general. :(

I feel like giving up today.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, you obviously haven't read any of our threads if that's your definition of "long." :hugs:

And :wow: can Lauren and I relate to that string problem or WHAT? On the SAME DAY, each of us had a kitty eat at least a foot of string of the SAME wand toy! Her kitty (Presley? I think it was Presley) threw up that night, and seemed OK after that. I'm pretty sure the culprit here was Spooky, and I examined poop for four days. But she kept eating OK - they all did. Never did find any signs of that string. :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like he got it up, and he's having an issue with hairballs. Of course... if Spooky had been off her food, I probably would have hauled her off to the vet for another x-ray. :rolleyes: (She'd just recently had one because she was constipated, and I was worried she was blocked).

I suspect Simon is just doing his job trying to drive you to the looney bin. There are quite a few of us there, don't worry, it's fun! Really! When you're not focused on the fact that you're losing - or have lost - your mind! :jump:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren-I do want Claire and Fred to lose more weight, Claire needs to get to between 10-12 pounds, she is SERIOUSLY overweight. And Fred should also be in that range but he doesn't have as much to lose as she does. They seem happy and satisfied so I guess we'll keep going and see where we are next week. I think they are fine, I really do.
WELL then.... your doing just great here. :clap::clap: You are setting these goals and attaining them little by little. We all are learning together, btw, with this raw transition stuff. OH this reminds me too, I need to do weigh-ins also this week :doh3:

Well fudge, I can never expect things to go as planned. I'm highly irritated tonight. This may be long and blog-like so I will apologize in advance.
We have increased our efforts in ensuring the cats get lots of playtime and have even gotten them lots of new toys. We got da bird, a wand with shiny, stringy mentally looking strands at the end and a new laser pointer. We've been very busy playing with all them. I watch the stringy wand very closely and clean up any stray strands when they fall off so the cats won't eat them. I mean literally, as soon as they break off I pick them up mid-session.
So, last night I was playing with the toys and went to the kitchen to get the laser pointer, I was carrying the stringy wand and bird and Simon was chasing them since I let them trail behind me. Kept playing, everyone had fun and then we put everything up and settled in to watchout shows. That's when DH found it, a HUGE wad of the strands from the stringy wand that had vomited up behind the couch! How the heck one of them got a wad that huge is beyond me. I can NOT figure it out.
The other issue is that Simon won't eat the wet food. I just weighed him and he's lost 2 oz since Saturday. So now I'm all paranoid that the stringy toy is wrapped around his intestines, even though he hasn't wanted to eat real well since Saturday.
Therefore, I gave him some dry food tonight. But before he ate, he was doing that dry heave thing cats do but didn't get anything up. He did however get a hairball up yesterday afternoon. At least I'm pretty sure it was Simon, he's the only one that throws up the texture that it was. He ate the dry OK but he didn't devour it. Oh, and someone got the lid off Riley's dry food last night and ate all of it too.
So, either he's got strings wrapping around his intestines or a really upset belly due to hairballs. Or, he has decided, after I bought a case online, that he doesn't like the food anymore. Or, he just hates me in general. :(
I feel like giving up today.
:lol3: UMMM that was not a long, blog-like novel :rofl: OMG have you seen some of our threads.... I think we are all getting to the point of "trying" to shorten them, inch by inch :flail: BUT, man, we are writing books in this forum!!!!!!!!!! :bigthumb:

YEP - Laurie's Spooky and my Perkins (don't worry, Laurie, Presley Perkins... and Perla.... I still get then all mixed up. Larry is forever complaining about the cat's names, they are all too similar - at least the siblings.... heck, Larry can't even remember Walden and Wendall or who is who. So he just calls Walden - Fuzzy (cause he looks blurry - his coat markings) and Wendall he calls Focus (because his coat is quite distinguished in markings) WOWSA...... see I am rambling :bigmouth: What was I saying :scratch: :think: OH YEAH..... Laurie's Spooky and My Perkins both ate some Neko flyer string on the same exact night and the same exact amount - about ONE FOOT :eek: I guess Neko string is eaten in one foot increments. Perkins barfed his up, like you Simon. We never knew what happened to Spooky's string :dk: :nervous: Maybe the raw meat she ate, ate the string :flail: I wouldn't worry about Simon, because he did barf up the string. I bet he got it all up.

SORRY about the case of food. Honestly, we all have been there with the throwing money out the window issue. BUT before you give up on that food.... try it again in a few days. I have found that what my cat's refuse one day they love the next and then hate it the next, so on and so forth!!!! OH and welcome to the Raw Feeding Nuthouse..... yep..... our cat's have made us all a bit loopy and looney.... BUT IT IS FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!! once you accept it... that is..... :D :D :D Don't give up!!!! We are all :soldier: here!!!!! One for all, and all for one! :winkblue: Giving up is not in the vocabulary but starting over :redx: - yep - that is definitely part of this process!!!!!!

Last edited:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for listening. Work is super busy right now, in fact, I have to go in at 3 am tomorrow because I've got a crew not doing their job so I have to go in and help them understand job expectations again, my old dog has a new growth that we are 'watching' for another week before we decide how to proceed with that, the little dog has hot spots, which makes me insane considering the amount of money we spend on her food and training and care yet she looks like a homeless mangy pup. We finally get Riley eating consistently and now Simon is being difficult. I just need a break.

Have you heard of 'Party Animal' cat food? It is the first USDA certified organic pet food. Well, I've got a couple cans so I gave some of that to Simon and he ate it pretty good. :clap:

Eh, I'll be OK, the cats are fine, Abby's spots will clear up and Charlie's foot will be what it is. I think I just need sleep. ;)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw.... :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Yes, sleep is a VERY precious commodity!!!!! Hope things settle down at work soon!!! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Great you found a food for Simon! Let's hope he continues to like it for a little while. :lol3: :cross:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just sending some
your way.  I know what it's like to worry about one thing or another.  (If it isn't one thing, it's ALWAYS another, right
)

I might have to check out the Party Animal food, since my fussies are not liking their canned food anymore.  My counter is overflowing with cans on the "no momma" list right now.  I'm stymied as to what to try next.  Luckily they ARE eating some raw, so they aren't starving

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So...I just googled Party Animal Cat Food, and all I can find is DOG food.  Is that what you are feeding Simon? (I know you have dogs too)  I see they sell it at Whole Foods, which we have here, but still, there is no mention of CAT food. 

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So...I just googled Party Animal Cat Food, and all I can find is DOG food.  Is that what you are feeding Simon? (I know you have dogs too)  I see they sell it at Whole Foods, which we have here, but still, there is no mention of CAT food. 
They do not have the cat food on their website, why I have no idea, but they do make it. We get it from the local Farmers Market/General Store here.

I emailed them after I got the food to get some more info on it but they didn't email me back, that or I deleted it without realizing what it was, which is totally possible.

The kitties are hit and miss on it but it did work to get Simons appetite going again so that's good.

Let me know if you don't find it at Whole Foods.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good grief I need to clean out my fridge. :lol3:

And what is a 'cuddly chicken'. These people must not know chickens. ;)

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:flail: WHO comes up with these cat food brand names :rofl: I have NO idea what a "cuddly chicken" is and it certainly sounds to sweet to serve up to the kitties :lol3: Have never heard of that brand of dog or cat food before. :scratch: HMMMM wonder if that would be a hit with my old dog Wilbur :heart3: YEAH - I hear ya on the "I NEED A BREAK".... lots of sick babies all at once at my house too. Just one thing after another.... such is life! One day at a time. :nod: Hope you get some much needed sleep :sleep: :9: :vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
.  My counter is overflowing with cans on the "no momma" list right now.  I'm stymied as to what to try next.  Luckily they ARE eating some raw, so they aren't starving
Sally, we certainly both are going through the same thing... NO MOMMA - NOT THAT EITHER :nono: ....... :lol3:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the 'no momma' wouldn't be so bad if they didn't make the most disgusted face and then look at you like "what the H are you thinking, like I would ever eat that!" and then dart off the counter like I just tried to serve them arsenic. Even though they ate it like they hadn't eaten in days the last two times you gave it to them.

We call this the 'dance momma, dance' routine. They just want to make sure we know who is really running stuff around here. Even my mom didn't treat me like I treat these cats, if she put dinner on the table and I turned my nose up, there was no rummaging through the cabinets offering me multiple meal options. I think it's a good thing I didn't have children. :lol3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the 'no momma' wouldn't be so bad if they didn't make the most disgusted face and then look at you like "what the H are you thinking, like I would ever eat that!" and then dart off the counter like I just tried to serve them arsenic. Even though they ate it like they hadn't eaten in days the last two times you gave it to them.
We call this the 'dance momma, dance' routine. They just want to make sure we know who is really running stuff around here. Even my mom didn't treat me like I treat these cats, if she put dinner on the table and I turned my nose up, there was no rummaging through the cabinets offering me multiple meal options. I think it's a good thing I didn't have children. :lol3:
TOTALLY TRUE!!!!!! My momma NEVER did the "dance" for me and definitely did not use "topper's" on my peas, lima beans and liver :barf: GEEZ - maybe I would have eaten it IF it were drizzled in chocolate OR cake frosting :lol2: I never heard "AWWWWW, sweetie pie, please come back to the table" all the while chasing after me with my plate and saying "I promise, I won't ever serve you that again and you can eat cake and frosting for dinner from now on..... " :shocker: Can you believe that is exactly what I have done on occasion, especially with my :princess: Perla. :rolleyes: except the cake and frosting for dinner would be.... let's say Fancy Feast, BFF or TUNA something or another .......

Last edited:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
BIG NEWS!!! Simon has been difficult on the EVO here lately so I just put the Rad Cat Raw Lamb in his dish and he is devouring it. :clap:

Fred isn't so sure but is working on it. Well, he ate about half the sample and was done. Simon is finishing Fred's leftovers.

:nod::D:nod:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And now this morning, Simon has devoured the Rad Cat Turkey. :clap:

He has eaten more in the past two meals than in the past couple of days. I guess I'll swing by the cat store tonight and get some more. :D

But news is always a mixed bagged around here.....those hot spots I thought Abby had, well, turns out its Adult-onset Demodex Mange. Adult-onset is very difficult to treat or cure and is indicative of an underlying immuno-suppressant disease. So, we have to give her a medicine for 30 days, get a skin scrape, more medicine for another 30 days, another skin scrape and so forth and so on until it's gone which could be as short as a month or as long as 'we don't know' according to the vet. He says it takes a puppy about 5-6 months to recover from this type of mange. However, it's not contagious to the cats or our other dog. I feel so sad for her having to deal with this. I sat in the vet's office last night and just cried. She's supposed to get tested to become a therapy dog at the end of June but she can't now because of this. And since the medicine she is taking is so strong she can't have flea control while she is being treated. She LOVES to go run at the dog park, it's what she lives for, but I can't take her without flea control, she'll cause an infestation in the house so I have to figure something out. I have a tea tree oil shampoo, since its aversive to fleas, I may just have to bathe her before I bring her home from the park each time. I'll need to figure it out. And we've read that baths of borax/hydrogen peroxide solution helps, as does the shampoo Selsun. So, looks like we have a whole new journey ahead of us.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the local Yahoo B.A.R.F. group I joined, there's been a lot of chatter about natural flea treatments. Most appear to be using a combination of raw apple cider vinegar and a small amount of garlic (apparently not toxic to cats or dogs at the right amount) - and the garlic helps the immune system function as well. I'll see if I can find more info for you.

Colloidal silver (500ppm, liquid, used EXTERNALLY - not internally) has proven to be very effective at treating skin problems - whether from parasites (like mange) or fungus (like ringworm). You might want to ask if you can use Colloidal Silver (dabbing it on the spots 3-4 times a day with a soaked cotton ball) in conjunction with the prescribed treatment.

I'm so sorry!!!! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Laurie - you are so kind. I'll look into the vinegar/garlic. I have no idea what Colloidial silver is, more research.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm in shock! I gave Simon some more turkey tonight and had a sample of chicken left. Well, Riley walked over to the turkey containers and started licking them. I figured I'd give it a try and shockingly, he ate almost the entire sample (about an ounce). He seemed to really like it too. Simon left a bit of the turkey but polished off the chicken. He literally licks the bowl clean.

Fred wasn't all that into the turkey. I had the turkey in one bowl and EVO in the other, he licked the turkey but went after the EVO. Claire won't come out to eat tonight so I don't know if she'll eat the raw. There is some turkey left so I'll give it a try when she finally comes out.

I'm so happy with them tonight.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
for RadCat!  I've got some in my freezer that I have been saving for when I really need to pull out the big guns!  Gosh, what am I thinking...I really needed those big guns yesterday