Sweet mom & daughter kitties need a home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, guys, this probably won't come as a surprise to anyone, but the mother has now decided she wants Lucy back.
She called this afternoon.
Have to admit I came down pretty hard on her, but feel it was justified. Told her it was out of my hands now, that she's in the care of the rescue group. I also told her this has been a huge inconvenience for me, the rescue group, not mention the trauma she's put Lucy through. She did apologize.

So, I emailed the rescue group coordinator, passed on the mother's interested in getting Lucy back and apologized for putting them in the middle of this mess. No response yet. I then told the mother that I'm not sure the rescue group will let her have the cat back. She may need to go through the adoption process like anyone and even then, that doesn't mean they'll let her have Lucy. Honestly, I wouldn't blame them.

I'm just so tired of dealing with this crazy woman. Part of me hopes she does get Lucy back because I believe she really does care about her. Then again, I don't want her getting Lucy back because that sweet girl deserves better.
I thought I was done with this mess and now I'm back in the middle again.
And, poor Lucy. She's probably totally scared and confused. Please send some major vibes that we get this sorted out.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Dear God that woman has serious issues!

She doesn't want Lucy, then she does, then she doesn't.
As my Mother would have said she either needs to "S**T or get off the pot"

It's unfair to you, it's unfair to the rescue group and most of all it's unfair to poor Lucy.

I'll be sure to say an extra prayer for Lucy tonight.
Frankly I hope the rescue group refuses to give Lucy back to her.
Like you said, she more than likely does love Lucy...but I don't think being with her is the best thing for Lucy.

I just have this feeling that if by some chance they do give Lucy back to her, that next week she'll be calling you and saying she's decided that she doesn't want her after all.

Sending lots of hugs to you too, Eileen...I can't imagine how frustrating this all must be for you.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this, fingers crossed a good solution can be worked out for the poor cat.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey, guys, just a quick update. First, though, I have to say, it takes a lot to make me mad a really go off on people, but I did with the mother, especially because of all she's put Lucy through. Suffice it to say that between everyone involved we have worked things out to insure that Lucy will be safe and well cared for.

Meanwhile, Little Lucy went to the adoption fair on Sat. The volunteers say she did much better than last time and wasn't nearly as scared. She generated a lot of interest and quite a few people commented on how pretty she is (especially her beautiful eyes), but she didn't get adopted. So, we'll keep trying. Please keep those vibes coming. I just know the right home is for Little Lucy is out there somewhere.

Thanks, guys!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Hey, guys, just a quick update. First, though, I have to say, it takes a lot to make me mad a really go off on people, but I did with the mother, especially because of all she's put Lucy through. Suffice it to say that between everyone involved we have worked things out to insure that Lucy will be safe and well cared for.
Well, in the end that's the most important thing...that Lucy is safe and gets all the love and care she needs.
You gone above and beyond, Eileen...bless you!

As for little Lucy, I'm so happy that people showed an interest in her so maybe one of them won't be able to get her out of their mind and decide that they just can't live without her in their lives.
Sending lots of "find a good home" vibes for little Lucy.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am glad there will be a happy ending for these two, good on you for doing so much for them

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still sending hugs and prayers from Mississippi for little Lucy and big Lucy, they both need to find forever home where they will be loved.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sadie's heart is beating fast from seeing her Super Pete in all his super glory.

My prayers are with you that both of these innocents get the home that they deserve...ASAP

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey guys, just another update, Big Lucy is continuing to do well, so that really puts my mind at ease.

Now, on to Baby Lu (my nickname for her).
The adoption fair isn't until tomorrow, but I figure if you guys can start sending out some vibes now, maybe the powers that be will send someone along to fall in love with this sweet little girl.

Please keep your fingers crossed that tomorrow is Baby Lu's big day. Thanks!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never read this forum before, because I'm a great big coward and can't handle the emotions that go with cat rescue. But in the past couple of weeks, I've found myself involved with three different rescue situations... so I figured I'd better try to toughen up, and I started by reading this thread.

Eileen, you have the patience of a saint! I don't know how you managed to be civil to that woman for so long. And do I understand correctly that she does not have Lucy back? Please say it's so...

I so admire your perseverance in this situation! I hope I can be as strong when it's my turn again.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the vibes, guys. Lucy's currently up at Petsmart and I'm really praying today is her day. If she doesn't get adopted, I'm hoping the space at least opens up for her to stay there as part of this rescue's adoption program. I hate leaving there because she's so scared being in a cage, but it's the best way for to get the additional exposure needed to be adopted. Please keep those vibes coming. Will post an update later. Thanks!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm just catching this thread also. I'm sending huge adoption vibes for Little Lucy Lu (I started calling her that halfway thru this thread). What a great job you have done in calming her down in preparation for an adoption clinic!!

Most rescue organizations require that an owner sign over their rights to a cat when released so they can't do what this woman did to you. I know you probably wouldn't have gotten her to sign. Perhaps if you (or anyone here) get yourself into a situation like this again, let the person know up front that by giving you the cat, they have rescinded all rights to that cat in the future, and would need to pay adoption fees like anyone else to get her back.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I've never read this forum before, because I'm a great big coward and can't handle the emotions that go with cat rescue. But in the past couple of weeks, I've found myself involved with three different rescue situations... so I figured I'd better try to toughen up, and I started by reading this thread.

Eileen, you have the patience of a saint! I don't know how you managed to be civil to that woman for so long. And do I understand correctly that she does not have Lucy back? Please say it's so...

I so admire your perseverance in this situation! I hope I can be as strong when it's my turn again.
I know exactly how you feel. I often question whether I'm cut off for rescue and TNR because I get so emotionally involved. Honestly, what has helped me the most (besides support from TCS, of course), is just reminding myself that it's not about hard it is for me, it's about helping the cats. It's still hard, but that really does help. If I can do it, you can!

It's been a challenge, to say th the least, but I felt like I had to be patient and civil with the family for the sake of the kitties. I actually have a relationship of sorts with this family and have been working with them for almost year to TNR some feral cats in in their neighborhood. I also rely on them to feed and, to their credit, they do a great job.

I've been hesistant to mention this because I was afraid you guys would question my judgement, but Big Lucy is now back with the mother. This was a mutual decision between me, the rescue and the mother after a lot of phone calls and conversation. The daughter, who was the problem to begin with, is moving, so the both the rescue and I felt comfortable in allowing the mother to readopt Lucy. Please trust my judgement on this and rest assured that I will continue to monitor Lucy's situation.

Originally Posted by Momofmany

I'm just catching this thread also. I'm sending huge adoption vibes for Little Lucy Lu (I started calling her that halfway thru this thread). What a great job you have done in calming her down in preparation for an adoption clinic!!

Most rescue organizations require that an owner sign over their rights to a cat when released so they can't do what this woman did to you. I know you probably wouldn't have gotten her to sign. Perhaps if you (or anyone here) get yourself into a situation like this again, let the person know up front that by giving you the cat, they have rescinded all rights to that cat in the future, and would need to pay adoption fees like anyone else to get her back.
Thanks for the vibes, everybody, but no luck today at the adoption fair. I'm disappointed of course, for Baby Lu sake, but we'll keep trying. Another local rescue (we have a quite a few) is helping spread the word about her through their network and even made me some awesome flyers to post (much better than the ones I made!)

In hindsight, I wish I would have gotten the mother to sign something. Sure would have saved me a lot of grief. At the same time, I really feel for the mother because the daugther was putting so much pressure on her to give up the cats and making threats about taking them to the pound. I'm hoping there won't be any situations like this in the future and that I can stick to TNR and finding homes for strays, but if it comes up again, I'll definitely have a better idea of how to handle things.

Thanks again and please keep those vibes coming for sweet Baby Lu. I just know there's a wonderful home for out there for her!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Baby Lu has a nickname.

As you know, I support any decision that you make regarding any kitties under your tender care.

Lots of vibes for all three of you are on the way.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah... so the daughter was manipulating the situation. May Big Lucy and the mom live happily ever after once the daughter is gone!