sutures on side of neck

Beebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Today peanut had to go to the vet's because of a small puncture wound that got infected. The vet cleaned it all up and sutured his wound together.

Has anyone had to deal with stitches in this particular location? I'm having a hard time keeping him from scratching it. It's right there on the side of his neck and I can't put him in a collar because I'm worried the edge would brush against the site, or maybe I should?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try some triple antibiotic salve, not with pain meds added, to keep it moist and not scratchy. It may keep him from scratching if it is kept moist. The first day it is bound to be really bothering him and some scratching is to be expected. He will get used to it soon. Just distract him as often as you can with throwing a toy or treats. Just watch it so he doesn't tear the stitches, although they are very tough. I have had several cats even open the wound a little and they still healed fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! I was so worried because he's a bit warm to the touch (but still very vocal). He was sedated for it (at around 2pm today, now it's 5pm) but looks like his back legs are still a bit wobbly...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he may not even know what he is doing yet, and may not be feeling any pain. Try to keep him quiet and /or distracted for a while. He may be warm from the anesthesia or possible from the infection himself. i take it teh vet put him on an antibiotic or gave him an antibiotic injection? if not keep a close watch for swelling and any pus that may be colored form the site. It may drain a clear watery liquid that may have a little blood mixed in, and that may be for a few days. That is normal. If the vet didn't put a drain in, he must think he got all the infection. One of the first signs of an infection is a cat that refuses to eat and hides. All teh luck!

Beebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!! I feel so much better after hearing that it's normal.The vet only gave us antibiotic salve. I'll keep a very close eye on him, especially on the warmth and coordination thing. Thank you!

Beebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sooo he ripped his stitches and we're back in square one. The vet said she doesn't think stitching it back together again would be best so we're caring for the wound now.

In the process I boarded peanut for 4 days so they can monitor him better. Now he's home and he's got the sneezes. He wasn't sneezing before! The meds make him drool and he's so much more miserable than before the hospitalisation.

I'm so upset :(