Surgery on a cat with HCM

DianaChimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Friends, i wanted to ask if any of you has had any experience with your HCM cats going under general anesthesia, my baby boy has vaccine induced fibrosarcoma so he must have the lump removed. We're currently getting all the tests done to know if he will be able to resist it. Have any of you went through something like this to give me an advice?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have an HCM boy who is going on eight years old, diagnosed at two years old. He has never had a surgical procedure, but he can be very fractious with the vets, and he has had to be sedated in order to do blood tests, which I allow. Depending upon where you live, you might look for a specialty Surgery Center where they can more easily work with high risk patients and have everything set up in case an emergency were to arise. I am absolutely not an expert on anesthesia. However, there are safer anesthesias, and I would certainly have a discussion with the vet about what they would be using.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Magnus has a LVL 1 heart murmur and he's gone under anesthesia (age 2) for a biopsy and for teeth cleaning. The vet uses heart monitoring and a safer anesthesia though I've never requested the name of it.

Nobel also had a heart murmur and did a teeth cleaning with two extractions at age 14.

I think it would depend on your cat's level of murmur and if he also has congestive heart. The vet will help you weigh the risk vs reward of the procedure based on your cat's specific case.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat in my avatar was diagnosed with HCM at the age of 16. It is likely she was like that before, the diagnosis came in early 2016, when she was close to 16.
Since the diagnosis, she went under anesthesia at least 15 times, three times were for surgeries (one of these was particularly heavy), two were for CT scans, the other ten times were for radiotherapy treatments.
She went through them no problem. My Lola was also a CKD cat.