"supersize Me!" Or At Least My Litter Box!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I will check this out. Hope the bottom is flat. If not I'll pay the $30 at the container store

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I will check this out. Hope the bottom is flat. If not I'll pay the $30 at the container store
Hmmm. Probably not flat. The ones I’ve done for the sanctuary aren’t.

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks good. I'm sure your 2 boys will be happy with their larger facilties. ;)

Another suggestion I've heard, is to get a Rubbermaid container. I've seen them recommended, especially for cats that like to dig and dig and dig, and scatter litter over the sides.
Oh my, yes!!!!!!!!!!
We have multiples and space for multiple boxes can be trying but the biggest rubbermaid containers (clear to prevent sneak attacks) have been a Godsend.
This has also solved the problem of one of our boys who thinks aiming upwards is adorable. Its not adorable. We used to tape puppy pads to the walls but the 'maid boxes catch all pee.
The only downsize to these boxes is anyone with any kind of arthritis. Jumping in and out is easy for most cats but for anyone with arthritis it's not.
The good news is a good pair of metal cutters and some pent up rage combined can help the owner create a nice little "walk in" hole, 1,2,3,4 etc. inches off the ground. Higher holes can be made larger/deeper as the cat ages. If you mess up, it's no big thing. Just make sure there are no sharp edges! If your concerned, a nice thickness of duct tape can soften the edges.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make these for the cat cottage at the sanctuary where I volunteer. One of the kitties up for adoption pees standing up, and after weeks of cleaning pee off the floor around the litter boxes, I went to Target and bought several of these Sterilite bins for $7.50 each. I cut out an opening so it’s easier for the smaller kitties to get in and out.

These bins are brittle and crack easily when you try to cut them. I ruined several before I figured out how to cut them (it involves a drill, a box cutter, and a hand saw). I like the clear plastic so the kitties can keep an eye on their cottage mates while they’re using “the facilities,” but I may try a Rubbermaid bin next time to see if it’s less prone to fracturing.

View attachment 231313 View attachment 231314
Beautifully done!!!!!!
The holes I cut look like angry mouths to rabid cookie monsters :crackup: But I was in a hurry, had a million other things to do....and they work! :hyper:
And yes, again to the clear bins as litter box sneak attacks are a sure fire way to create box avoidance.