"supersize Me!" Or At Least My Litter Box!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any of you who have been on this forum for a while have probably read posts about my two boys...... Greg and Arnold.....see picture.

Both are large cats, arnold even bigger than greg.

Greg can just barely fit in a regular size litter box...it's obviously a squeeze, uncomfortable, but he can fit in.

Arnold can not fit in a regular box. The poor guy has to put his butt in the box and stand with his front feet on the floor outside of the box.

At first I thought this was cute, he seemed to manage reasonably well, never had an accident. There were two boxes and they were cleaned daily....all seemed good. I even thought it cute that occassionally greg would cover up arnolds deposits. Now I realize that was probably because arnold couldn't get into the box to easily cover up his poops.

So I started looking for jumbo sized boxes. I was shocked at the price of them.......over $40 and up. And that is for just a cheap plastic pan. And most werent really much bigger than an ordinary box. Even a highly rated jumbo box on amazon was only about 25 inches long. Stretched out, Arnold is 25 inches from butt to nose, plus his tail.

Today I found a large plastic, sturdily made, under the bed storage plastic bin, that is perfect! It looks much nicer than a litter box and was only $17 dollars and its 31 inches long, and it even comes with a removable hinged lid....perfect for the big guy.

And arnold loves it! I just put it in place, hadnt even had time to put litter in it and arnold ignored the regular box and jumped straight into the new one. He was a bit miffed that I had to hastily usher him out before he could do his thing.

If your cats have need for a really oversized litter box, that isnt going to cost a silly amount of money, you might consider a plastic storage container as I did.

Note: it cant be too big as it has to be lifted, washed and emptied. It must be rigid enough to support the extra litter and the interior must be fairly smooth so the sides can be scrapped clean.

This is going to make their lives better. I should have thought of it long ago.

Here is a pic of the boys newly "renovated" bathroom.....lol

20180303_104807.jpg
20180303_102549.jpg

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
looks good. I also have a few under the bed storage containers i use as well :) not sure mine is quite that long :woohoo:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That looks good. I'm sure your 2 boys will be happy with their larger facilties. ;)

Another suggestion I've heard, is to get a Rubbermaid container. I've seen them recommended, especially for cats that like to dig and dig and dig, and scatter litter over the sides.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my goodness - what good timing of your post and THANK YOU!!
My Big Guy, 14 pounds of lean and l-o-n-g Turkish angora mix, let his furry behinder hang over the box edge the other day and left about half of his 'business' outside the box LOL. I have a good sized box I grabbed from Walmart, but your idea is far better.
tah-dah :yess:
I love this site :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness - what good timing of your post and THANK YOU!!
My Big Guy, 14 pounds of lean and l-o-n-g Turkish angora mix, let his furry behinder hang over the box edge the other day and left about half of his 'business' outside the box LOL. I have a good sized box I grabbed from Walmart, but your idea is far better.
tah-dah :yess:
I love this site :thumbsup:

Ii was from canadian tire.........item number 142-1676-8 $17.43, on clearance....dont wait they will be gone.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks good. I'm sure your 2 boys will be happy with their larger facilties. ;)

Another suggestion I've heard, is to get a Rubbermaid container. I've seen them recommended, especially for cats that like to dig and dig and dig, and scatter litter over the sides.
The rubbermaid containers are very durable and prices good, but the sizes were wrong.

If the box was big enough, the sides were too high.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I looked and they only had dark grey, which doesn't work for my purposes. Not to worry, I was able to see in the description the size of 11 gallons which will make it a lot easier for me to find one that works out - :thumbsup:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked and they only had dark grey, which doesn't work for my purposes. Not to worry, I was able to see in the description the size of 11 gallons which will make it a lot easier for me to find one that works out - :thumbsup:
I can go and buy the beige one right now.

Im in southwest mississauga...let me know

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow that's an awesome option! It looks really sturdy. My mother was using an under-bed storage container for her cats for a long time. I didn't like how it was shaped. It was rectangular; but now smooth sided so I kept thinking more areas to catch stuff and have to wash.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Jumping in late. I bought a sterlite Cracked one trying to get litter out. Gross. Other I was more careful with. I need one at least 14 inch high. What is a good brand? Only storage bins I could find that tall are 30 inches long. A little too long. I do want it at least 24inches long. The Container store bins look more sturdy but expensive. I might have no choice. 3 cats 7,8,and 9 pds

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I make these for the cat cottage at the sanctuary where I volunteer. One of the kitties up for adoption pees standing up, and after weeks of cleaning pee off the floor around the litter boxes, I went to Target and bought several of these Sterilite bins for $7.50 each. I cut out an opening so it’s easier for the smaller kitties to get in and out.

These bins are brittle and crack easily when you try to cut them. I ruined several before I figured out how to cut them (it involves a drill, a box cutter, and a hand saw). I like the clear plastic so the kitties can keep an eye on their cottage mates while they’re using “the facilities,” but I may try a Rubbermaid bin next time to see if it’s less prone to fracturing.

E177D4A5-F7CE-493C-9576-827CE4318E93.jpeg
F855E603-4C7B-41C7-BA05-AA51D7E8D878.jpeg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Like the length but not high enough. My cat Peaches pees right at the 13 1/4 inch marker