Super Affectionate? Or Am I Missing Something?

projectsyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I worry that perhaps I am not understanding my cat as much as I would like to. She's nearing 8 months old now, she is always super cuddly and always crying for my attention. She is next to me 24/7 when I am at the house. When I am in bed she is dancing on top of of me, crying at me, and bonking her head into mine.

Occasionally she will calm down and grab my hand and rest her head on when we take naps in the bed (I say we but It's mostly me trying to sleep as shes trying to get my attention.)

We play lots through the day, I have a bunch of different toys for her. She likes her laser the best, she will often find the laser pointer and knock it on he ground when I'm not using it. She isn't a huge fan of chasing balls. She will chase the fishing rod toys, but prefers to chase the stick end for some reason.

Also when we take her to visit my dad's four cats she basically ignores me the entire time and plays with the other cats or sleeps. It's weird.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is about at the age when MOST cats become less affectionate. They get mature and don't crave the closeness with their family members. Some stay affectionate, I have a 16 year old that still loves to lay close and grab my hand. It sounds to me like she enjoys the company of other cats to play with, a companion would bring her pleasure. A young male with the same personality would be perfect! :itslove: Two are really no more than one to raise. If that is not possible, maybe a few more trips to your dad's would tire her out and give her excitement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

projectsyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've taken care of 8 cats at a time, and given medication to cats that needed it (my aunt has a little bit of a sanctuary.) I'm not so much concerned with the work of 2, the apartment is rather small. She just spent two weeks at my dads while we were on vacation.

It's too bad too because there's three adorable kittens under my dads deck that we are working on trusting humans so that we can capture them and the mother and find them forever homes.

My dad's 17 year old cat still constantly wants cuddles and attention and is always bringing dirty underwear or socks to us around the house.

He likes to go outside too which is too bad because of the kittens. So he hasn't been able to go out on his leash :(

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone who has had one cat for awhile and then brought one or more cats home will tell you that if you have a single cat he or she will be focused on you and will be more like you. If you have two or more, they will act more like a cat and be more focused on the other cat/s.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

projectsyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone who has had one cat for awhile and then brought one or more cats home will tell you that if you have a single cat he or she will be focused on you and will be more like you. If you have two or more, they will act more like a cat and be more focused on the other cat/s.
I mean, my sisters cat was a Lone Ranger before she moved back in with my dad. Never saw a behaviour change in her. She still only cares about my sister and nothing else

But yeah I've never lived with 1 cat, 26 years and we've always had 3+