Summer heat wave safety

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With the heat wave affecting many parts of the US and Europe and other parts of the world this time of year, please remember to keep your pets cool and safe :catrub: Don't forget the small furry, feathered, scaly, etc ones, too. Many don't do well in temperatures over 80F. If possible, turn on the AC and / or use fans. Keep window shades and curtains drawn during the day to keep the sun from heating up the home.

TCS has these articles with tips:

Other tips:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
In nw houston it is suggested to have the ac up! Who would do that in 102+ weather! What's the weather like in arizona? Also no grilling hamburgers outside

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have only had 0ne measurable rain in over two months in SW Nebraska. Extreme drought. Temps have been well over 100 the last month and more as far as we can see into the future. We had 112 one day and 108 the next, with 40 MPH winds! I have been watering the lilacs early in the morning to give my outside cats some cool earth, refresh their water every day, and have noticed they are going into the corn field too to find some shade. They have gotten thinner, but come out only at night and early in the morning. I feel for them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In nw houston it is suggested to have the ac up! Who would do that in 102+ weather! What's the weather like in arizona? Also no grilling hamburgers outside

Setting the AC on the higher side is supposed to be an energy saving measure. Combine that with other methods such as keeping the shades down is a pretty good way to keep the home cool without costing a whole lot.

Outside grilling, fire pits, etc are discouraged during heat waves because the ground and plants are usually pretty dry. Many parts of the US are currently experiencing a drought and water restrictions. Any spark or improperly disposed of cooking material or just an accident can quickly ignite a fire that will spread.

There's a video here with a vet explaining the signs of heat stroke in pets to watch out for: Animal experts share how to keep pets cool amid heat wave Booties will protect bare feet from scorching hot sidewalks and pavement but getting a dog to keep the booties on is another story and forget about booties on cats who go outdoors :rolleyes:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In AZ our weather is better than in other parts of the country right now. only 106 for the high today. Problem with our weather is that is doesn't cool down at night. I think our low is supposed to be 91! But it's going to warm up tomorrow to 113, which is about normal for this time of year. Oddly, it hasn't been as warm this year as it usually is. At least it hasn't felt like it. And we are getting quite a bit of rain, which is always needed. This is our rainy season...called Monsoon season. Storms roll in almost every other night. Big thunder storms with lots of wind, thunder and lightening and depending on where you are in the "Valley of the Sun", maybe rain (or dust). I've got friends and relatives in different parts of the Valley, within 15 miles or so of us, and it could be pouring at our house and they get nothing, or vice versa.

I understand the suggestion of turning the A/C up because in higher temps outside more people are going to be running their a/c and that could cause blackouts, which really wouldn't be good. 80 degrees inside still feels much better than 102!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here in Ohio, it's been in the upper 90's with heat indexes well over 100 most days with high humidity.
I've been taking my dog to cancer treatments 2-3 times a week. My car AC has been acting up and this scares me even though the appointments aren't too far away, but I don't want to break down on the side of the road with a pet.
If you have to travel with your cat (or any pet) during the heat, here are a few tips I've found can be helpful.
Every trip, I pack an insulated cooler with few old, thin towels, ice packs, and a few plastic water bottles that are frozen solid. I can wrap towels around the bottles and let the two dogs have one or two each to lay against. I cover their crates (this would easily work with a cat carrier) and bungee frozen ice packs (in ziplock bags to prevent leakage) to the crates. I also keep the vent on low with the circulation going. Even if the AC isn't on, it keeps the air moving and keeps pushing that cool air from the ice packs and water bottles towards them. Even without AC, their cage bank is like a little refrigerator.
Obviously, pack a few bottles of cold water and keep in your little cooler, along with a bowl. Make sure there's enough water for you, too :) And always keep your phone charged in case you need to call for help!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Small animals that live in semi-solid enclosures like a large aquarium or those Crittertrail cages with all the tubes need extra cooling / shading. Those enclosures basically act like a mini greenhouse because heat is trapped inside. Hot temperatures also makes the ammonia from the urine extra irritating to the eyes and respiratory system.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone tried a cooling mat? Thinking about buying one for my cat. Half of our ac vents dont really work so it can get pretty warm. Luckily it works in my room!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not but have used a flat piece of stone before. I popped the stone into the freezer for a couple of hours and then wrapped it in a towel before letting my cat lie on it. Pet stores sell such a stone for chinchillas or a scrap piece of stone or large floor tile would work too. A few large picnic / cooler ice pack arranged in a wrapped towel would work too.

Are the AC vents clogged? You may want to have an HVAC person check out the system and clean the vents if needed. If you rent, it's the landlord's responsibility to maintain the HVAC and vents.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will have to look into this.
They're not clogged. House is tad uneven (mobile home) and caused a problem with the duct pipes or something like that which would make sense since the broken vents are on the unlevel side. It's my parents house. Would cost at least a thousand to level home and fix the duct

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyone tried a cooling mat? Thinking about buying one for my cat. Half of our ac vents dont really work so it can get pretty warm. Luckily it works in my room!
I don't have one, but a close friend of mine had a few for her dogs and cats and she said they all gravitated to the when it was warm. I'm glad you brought this up, thanks! I never thought about having a cooling mat, especially for travel! :)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Will have to look into this.
They're not clogged. House is tad uneven (mobile home) and caused a problem with the duct pipes or something like that which would make sense since the broken vents are on the unlevel side. It's my parents house. Would cost at least a thousand to level home and fix the duct
If it's very warm, try keeping frozen water bottles or freezer packs on hand and setting them in front of a fan like another member mentioned. This is really effective! It's best if you can keep them on rotation so you don't run out. I had a crate fan for my agility dog for when we would trial on hot days, and the fan had a little insert block that you could freeze then pop into the fan. It was really effective.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its def not hot just a little warm but nothing like you have to leave the house. I did use a zip baggy ice pack when i traveled with my cat last week cause he hates the heat (he is the one i would buy the cooling mat for) and it worked, no panting. gonna have to get some actual ice packs incase the power goes out, its monsoon season, even though its super dry this summer. but just incase

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:fuming: I think I jinxed myself when I reported that we were at least getting rain every couple of days because we haven't had any since I typed that. Darn it!!!!! But at least it's only supposed to get to 104 degrees today :cold: ! It's like a nice fall day today :lol:

(but we really could use some more rain here in the Southwest :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: )

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:fuming: I think I jinxed myself when I reported that we were at least getting rain every couple of days because we haven't had any since I typed that. Darn it!!!!! But at least it's only supposed to get to 104 degrees today :cold: ! It's like a nice fall day today :lol:

(but we really could use some more rain here in the Southwest :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: )
Here in Ohio we had a massive storm last night, no damage but a lot of rain and a lot of light and noise from above. I only got a little wet when I was trying to record a cool lightning photo and the downpour hit! I woke up to a zero humidity day in the low 60's that peaked in the high 70's. That felt awesome after this heat wave with air that feels like you're breathing syrup through a coffee straw! But I don't think it's going to last according to the latest weather forecast :(
I haven't been letting my cats outside in their new catio. It has been dangerously hot up until today. (The friend that built the catio had a minor injury and can't work yet but he's getting better. The birds found a way in and I see an occasional sparrow flying around inside the catio, so the cats are inside until we can get that fixed so they don't harm the birds.)

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have one, but a close friend of mine had a few for her dogs and cats and she said they all gravitated to the when it was warm. I'm glad you brought this up, thanks! I never thought about having a cooling mat, especially for travel! :)
Its been about a week since I got my cat a cooling mat, for the most part he lays on it!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
What’s odd is on hot days, my cat goes upstairs (where it is much much hotter) and does a fulllll belly flop on the floor. At first I thought it might be that the contact w/ that floor made him feel cooler….now I’m beginning to think he likes the late sun doze. (Like old men and saunas). I insist he does this with a fan, at least, and all windows open. But it’s a weird behavior.