Suggestions on new kitty please?

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Background on the kitten.

Hello all, I just got a new kitten that I named Sabriel on October 16th. She's about 3 and a half months old, her birth date was June 29th, 2012. She's a sbt savannah, and very active but most kittens are very active lol. She was spayed on October 2nd by her breeder, she was healed by the time I got her on the 16th. She came to me by plane from Oklahoma, I live in South Dakota.

When I got her on the 16th she was taken straight to the vet by me to her rabies shot, to get set up for her future vaccinations to go with the schedule that the breeder already had her on, she was also tested for fiv and felv and thankfully both were negative. Since I've had her in her main room she has been very affectionate and playful with me, but when I bring her into other rooms (which I do sparingly) to try to slowly adjust her to the house she gets all skittish. Hopefully as she gets to know me more she'll settle down with that.

Some history on me as an owner.

I see myself as owning 3 main cats before Sabriel. There were like 2 other house cats but as I was a little kid I didn't really get to know them well and they ran off because I was stupid and brought them outside.

1st cat: Spunky, siamese cat that actually belonged to my grandma but I considered mine as well because I spent a lot of time with him, and my grandma raised me from when I was 8 onward. Anyway I had him from when I was a baby to when I was 17 and a half and he died from old age. He was over 18 by that point I believe but may have been just under it. He is where I got my love of cats, most mellow affectionate cat ever and very bright too. He was an indoor/outdoor cat.

2nd cat: Tigger, I feel very badly about how I treated Tigger, if I had her when I was older I would have been a lot more understanding. I had her from when I was 8 to 10. She was abused in the home she was in before ours, she'd been thrown across the room a few times there I believe is why a family friend had her given to us. Long story there... Anyway I'm assuming because of the abuse in the previous home she was very odd at times... she'd be affectionate and purring at one minute and then biting hard enough to bleed the next. She'd also sneak attack people all the time. She then got fleas. Pretty much I didn't want to be around her after a while. I also wasn't great about changing her litter box. Sometimes I forgot to feed her as well, in my defense at the time I was eight my mom should have done something but didn't. Anyway long story short she ended up going out to live on a friends farm. Out there she was a lot more mellow and when I called her she came to me and would let me pet her without biting. Then when I was 11 or 12 I went out there and called and called but she never showed up. I was told then she likely ran off. I found out years later she was hit by a car and they buried her... At this point though I still had Spunky and loved him like crazy.

3rd Cat: Neka, I didn't get Neka until I was 22 because before that I was living two places where either a) pets weren't allowed or b) my grandma no longer wanted a cat in her home. Anyway I loved Neka very, very much. I got her from the same breeder that I got Sabriel from, and actually Sabriel is Neka's "replacement" cat. When she was alive she had a lot of issues both health and behavior wise. Health issues at first it was giardia, but then also signs of a uri for a long while she seemed to be fine though. I got her when she was 6 months old, she was already very affectionate with me and playful and everything. She knew to use the litter box, and to use the scratching posts instead of furniture. She did have a bit of a pica thing where she would chew on carpet, wires, metal etc. I treated and loved her like a child. Then in August she had quit eating as much, and long story short I found out on September 1st that she pleural effusion in her chest cavity and a few days later that she had lymphoma. I put her on steroids which helped but ended up putting her down on September 10th because she was going down hill fast... Pretty much been heart broken since... 

Getting to the point:

Anyway because of what happened with Neka the breeders offered me a "replacement" cat because of how much Neka cost. I told them I wanted to wait until November or December and they said that was fine just to get in touch with them. Well last week I contacted them via email because I wanted to know if I had to get anything from the vet like proof of what happened and that she had been put down. Long story short they offered me Sabriel then, and it was an offer I couldn't refuse...

Thing is I've never had a kitten this young before, granted she's 3 and a half months, and yes I've been around kittens before but I've never been in charge of training them before.

***She's already litter box trained and has been excellent about using it here.

*** She does use the cat scratching posts but does sometimes start to scratch at chairs to.. So far I've said "hey" or "No" in a loudish voice tone and she stops and runs off then but I'm not sure if I'm getting the message across right... I don't want to scare her.

*** She is affectionate but also a bit skittish sometimes. She does sometimes try to play bite and since I don't want to encourage that behavior I say "ouch" in a loud-ish voice tone and she stops and then licks...

*** She's in a room that all that is in there when she's unsupervised is: litter box, cat dish, a cat tree, a cat scratching post/tree thing, 2 pet beds, a toy ball thing that spins in a circle, a stuffed mouse that she couldn't possibly choke on and that so far she treats like a ball,  and her cat carrier that still has her blanket and hammock that the breeder put in there for her trip (she held her bladder and bowels for like 7 to 8 hours, when she finally did go she went a lot... i felt bad but kind of proud too..). The flooring is vinyl. The only thing I can see her being able to ingest is either a) if she tore up the mouse, pet beds, or blanket or b) what's already happened is her scratching the cat trees carpet off and then she'll chew on the carpet. I just want her to be safe, and particularly after Neka I'm even more paranoid then I was before. 

*** She meows a lot when I'm in the room and I'm trying to figure out what she wants... 

tl;dr ??: Sum up of questions:

I want tips of how to train my kitten right. So that she doesn't scratch the furniture, so that she doesn't play bite, much less bite for real. So that she doesn't chew or swallow things she shouldn't. 

Also: I'm afraid that she's bored that I'm at work, do you know of any really good, hard, sturdy cat toys that I can leave with her that she can't harm herself with? I thought of getting her a play mate around December or so from the humane society as long as she was settled in fairly well by then. But my vet strongly discourage me from it and now I certainly will not be doing that.... Pretty much told me they'd had health issues going around there for years and if I wanted my currently healthy cat to become unhealthy to get another cat from there. So since I'm not paying the money again for another savannah and I'm not interested in another special breed of cat I'm content being a single cat owner. I'm just hoping that my cat won't be lonely.

+++

For the record I have an awesome vet even if he isn't a fan of the humane society. When the stuff went down with Neka all of her tests (x-ray, ultra sound, blood tests etc) were done at the emergency vet and the results were shipped over to my normal vet... so he didn't really get any money from that type of stuff even though that cost me like 700.00 in tests. But when Neka was put down, he unbeknownst to me had a histopathology report done on a biopsy from my cat to make sure it was lymphoma (there was a chance it could have been wet FIP). Lets just say over the year that I had her I was in there a lot and they thought I was a worry wort more or less, but when she was diagnosed with lymphoma my vet and all of his staff were very sympathetic to me. When I had her put to sleep I was crying like a baby and he was kind and also sent me a sympathy card with a personal note. So when I came with Sabriel on tuesday they understood that I was a bit paranoid and got the fiv/felv which both came out as negative thankfully. I brought up that I was a little afraid that she could potentially develop FIP, even though it had been over a month since Neka had been a live I wasn't sure how many weeks the virus lives on. The emergency vet couldn't assure me that it wasn't both lymphoma and fip. When I put her down I thought she had been through enough and didn't want to put her through more stuff like an autopsy or something - not to mention at that point I had spent around 800.00 dollars or something. So tuesday my vet told me he could assure me, and he showed me the histopathology report that was in the file, which said it was lymphoma carcinoma or something like that. I asked him what the report was because I was a little confused as I know the emergency vet didn't do it. He said he did it on his own because "i had to know... for myself"... are the words he used. To me that is an awesome vet... 

Okay I'm done rambling... I know I practically wrote a book... Can anyone please help me though with training my kitty?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone? Please? I know I wrote a book but it won't let me go back and edit it.. I put a tl;dr section... Please?

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I want tips of how to train my kitten right. So that she doesn't scratch the furniture, so that she doesn't play bite, much less bite for real. So that she doesn't chew or swallow things she shouldn't.
Chewing and swallowing - In my mind, there isn't really training for this, just prevention by kitten proofing things and putting things away that she might chew on.  (For example, if she is a wire chewer, get wire covers.  I have a chewer and had to use Ssscat to keep him away from the Christmas tree last year.  You pretty much put things away or figure out a way to keep them away from them.) 

Biting - Sounds like you are doing pretty well with this.  The only other thing I would suggest is lots of interactive playtime (where you play with toys with the kitty) to help her get some of her youthful energy out in constructive ways.  My young cats just have to "kill" something several times per day.  I provide feather wand toys, mice on strings, etc... so that our arms and ankles stay safe. 
  The key is that you play with the cat to provide a hunting experience for them.  Leaving toys out for independent play isn't enough. 

Scratching - Just make sure your post is really sturdy and tall and one she loves.  I had one who would still scratch the sofa sometimes and I found that Feliway or other calming sprays deterred him from scratching the couch.  (I just sprayed it right where he was scratching, reapplying daily.)  Some use double sided tape, but I have two cats who will eat that stuff. 

Good luck.  By the way, I'd look into rescue organizations that use foster homes if you want a healthy kitten for her to play with.  I've also read that the "oops" litters you find on Craigslist tend to be healthier than shelter cats.  And they need good homes too. (I have nothing against shelter cats, but your post noted that your vet warned you against one.)   A playmate is a great idea.  There are no sure bets for getting a healthy kitten, but you can increase your chances by choosing wisely.  Oh, and I adopted two kittens from our vet and they were in pristine health, of course.  See if vets in your area are trying to find homes for kittens. 

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your asking for help to "train" your cat not to scratch?  Cannot be done.  Cats NEED to scratch.  If you want to see to it that she doesn't scratch inappropriate places, the best thing you can do is have plenty of scratchers at her disposal.  Some cats only like certain types while others like a variety.  My suggestion is to get a variety of styles and place them at places that would be appealing to her.  As for her being active and bored while you are gone, probably.  Savannah's are known for being very active and bored easily.  If you have a way where she can get outdoor stimulation while you are out, that could help a lot, maybe an enclosed patio or something?  You need that anyway with a Savannah.  Also get another cat tree if possible, different design too.  Put it next to a window. Savannahs like lots of stimulation and ways to get off the floor. I understand not wanting to pay for another kitty from a breeder.  I don't understand your vets concern with getting a kitty from the Humane Society?  Do they have a bad reputation or something?  Awesome as they may be, often vets do not understand cats as well as dogs unless they specialize in cats.  I would look for people with kittens in the paper or something.  Go to Petco or PetSmart and look for ads there, too.  Often, many Petcos and PetSmarts have adoptable cats.  And you can take your cat in to see how they hit it off.  Don't expect too much the first meeting.  Cats need to get to know eachother.  Then just keep them separated until you get the new kitty checked out and cleared at least.  It should be fine. The rest of the behavior is just normal kitty stuff.  She'll learn and calm down as she gets older. 

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just thought of one other thing regarding a possible playmate.  A one or two year old cat from the right rescue group (not the shelter your vet is worried about) would still be super playful and past the delicate health phase that kittens go through.  My vet has a super playful healthy two year old cat (sibling to one of my cats) that they are trying to find a home for.  Nothing wrong with the cat, just hasn't found a home yet.  You might be able to find one like that. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another thing. To keep her from scratching you, trim her nails and don't use your hands as playtoys for her.  I agree that a young adult cat would be a good playmate.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandy-Neka  

Background on the kitten.

Hello all, I just got a new kitten that I named Sabriel on October 16th. She's about 3 and a half months old, her birth date was June 29th, 2012. She's a sbt savannah, and very active but most kittens are very active lol.

Nothing, as crazy as, a Savannah kitten
. We BOTH, know this

She was spayed on October 2nd by her breeder, she was healed by the time I got her on the 16th. She came to me by plane from Oklahoma, I live in South Dakota.

When I got her on the 16th she was taken straight to the vet by me to her rabies shot, to get set up for her future vaccinations to go with the schedule that the breeder already had her on, she was also tested for fiv and felv and thankfully both were negative.

Good good

Since I've had her in her main room she has been very affectionate and playful with me, but when I bring her into other rooms (which I do sparingly) to try to slowly adjust her to the house she gets all skittish.

What, generation is she? The higher the percentage of Serval and or exotic cat, in general, the longer, they take to adjust. However, once, they adjust to your whole home, they will be just as playful and affectionate, all, over. It just takes some time.

Hopefully as she gets to know me more she'll settle down with that.

Settle down, as in, less scared and jumpy definitely.. Settle down, like, a house cat, maybe
. Loki, never ever did

Some history on me as an owner.

I see myself as owning 3 main cats before Sabriel. There were like 2 other house cats but as I was a little kid I didn't really get to know them well and they ran off because I was stupid and brought them outside.

This, is, just my
, I have always had DSH and DLH, that, went in and out. I will not let my Savannah out, because, he would run off. I have NEVER EVER, had a castrated domestic, that, would just run off. For, the first time, in my 30 years, of, cat owner ship, I have a black and white DLH, that was found outside, but, hasn't gone outside in three years, by her OWN "CHOOSING". So, all cats are individuals

1st cat: Spunky, siamese cat that actually belonged to my grandma but I considered mine as well because I spent a lot of time with him, and my grandma raised me from when I was 8 onward. Anyway I had him from when I was a baby to when I was 17 and a half and he died from old age. He was over 18 by that point I believe but may have been just under it. He is where I got my love of cats, most mellow affectionate cat ever and very bright too. He was an indoor/outdoor cat.

Spunky, sounds like, he, had a fine life to me

2nd cat: Tigger, I feel very badly about how I treated Tigger, if I had her when I was older I would have been a lot more understanding. I had her from when I was 8 to 10. She was abused in the home she was in before ours, she'd been thrown across the room a few times there I believe is why a family friend had her given to us. Long story there... Anyway I'm assuming because of the abuse in the previous home she was very odd at times... she'd be affectionate and purring at one minute and then biting hard enough to bleed the next. She'd also sneak attack people all the time. She then got fleas. Pretty much I didn't want to be around her after a while. I also wasn't great about changing her litter box. Sometimes I forgot to feed her as well, in my defense at the time I was eight my mom should have done something but didn't. Anyway long story short she ended up going out to live on a friends farm. Out there she was a lot more mellow and when I called her she came to me and would let me pet her without biting. Then when I was 11 or 12 I went out there and called and called but she never showed up. I was told then she likely ran off. I found out years later she was hit by a car and they buried her... At this point though I still had Spunky and loved him like crazy.

3rd Cat: Neka, I didn't get Neka until I was 22 because before that I was living two places where either a) pets weren't allowed or b) my grandma no longer wanted a cat in her home. Anyway I loved Neka very, very much. I got her from the same breeder that I got Sabriel from, and actually Sabriel is Neka's "replacement" cat.

I know and Neka knows, you loved her VERY MUCH!

When she was alive she had a lot of issues both health and behavior wise.

I can't comment on the health issues, other then, to say, she didn't have any breed specific ones.

Health issues at first it was giardia,

That, isn't a Savannah thing. That, is a cat thing, in my experience.

but then also signs of a uri for a long while she seemed to be fine though.

My F3, Loki, had a horrible URI, for a while. At almost two, it is nonexistent, with, the help of L-Lysine. While, I have NEVER had a domestic cat, with, this issue. It is very very common.

I got her when she was 6 months old, she was already very affectionate with me and playful and everything.

Good good

She knew to use the litter box, and to use the scratching posts instead of furniture.

Good good

She did have a bit of a pica thing where she would chew on carpet, wires, metal etc. I treated and loved her like a child.

Now, that is part, of, owning/working with exotic cats and hybrids. With some hybrids, that, gets better with age. With some, it doesn't. It is NOT, something, you can "train them not to do". You did the right thing, RE: her pica issues.

Then in August she had quit eating as much, and long story short I found out on September 1st that she pleural effusion in her chest cavity and a few days later that she had lymphoma. I put her on steroids which helped but ended up putting her down on September 10th because she was going down hill fast... Pretty much been heart broken since... 

I am VERY sorry. Loki, drives me a tad crazy. But, I can't imagine my life without him. It would be too quite now

Getting to the point:

Anyway because of what happened with Neka the breeders offered me a "replacement" cat because of how much Neka cost. I told them I wanted to wait until November or December and they said that was fine just to get in touch with them. Well last week I contacted them via email because I wanted to know if I had to get anything from the vet like proof of what happened and that she had been put down. Long story short they offered me Sabriel then, and it was an offer I couldn't refuse...

Awe, hun, glad you got Sabriel

Thing is I've never had a kitten this young before, granted she's 3 and a half months, and yes I've been around kittens before but I've never been in charge of training them before.

I have done shelter work, foster work, and such things.I have worked with exotic cats and hybrids before. Well, I got Loki, at, almost four moths old. I can say this, and mean it one hundred percent, NOTHING, prepairs you for a hybrid kitten, in, YOUR OWN HOME! Don't stress, you did GREAT, with Neka. So, you will do just fine with Sabriel.

***She's already litter box trained and has been excellent about using it here.

That, is most important, in my humble  opinion
!

*** She does use the cat scratching posts but does sometimes start to scratch at chairs to.. So far I've said "hey" or "No" in a loudish voice tone and she stops and runs off then but I'm not sure if I'm getting the message across right... I don't want to scare her.

1) Try double sided sticky tape. That, tends to work.

2) Clip the nails, so that way, A) she gets used to it and B) she can't damage your furniture.

*** She is affectionate but also a bit skittish sometimes.

Explain, what you mean by, "skittish". In general, kittens tend to be more skittish, then, adult cats. Also, the higher generation hybrids, can be more skittish. Last, but, not least, all cats have individual temperaments!

She does sometimes try to play bite and since I don't want to encourage that behavior I say "ouch" in a loud-ish voice tone and she stops and then licks...

That is the perfect response, IMHO. My higher percentage F3, does that same behavior. At, almost, two years old, he play bites far less. But, now, I just say, "kindly quite it", in a normal tone and he licks me. At the start, I used Bitter Apple(http://www.petcarerx.com/1/3/bitter-apple-cats) and clapped. Then, if, he didn't let go, I also, basically screamed no. I don't recomend screaming, since, it didn't scare my Savannah. It just made him, jump on my head and grab my hair.

*** She's in a room that all that is in there when she's unsupervised is: litter box, cat dish, a cat tree, a cat scratching post/tree thing, 2 pet beds, a toy ball thing that spins in a circle, a stuffed mouse that she couldn't possibly choke on and that so far she treats like a ball,  and her cat carrier that still has her blanket and hammock that the breeder put in there for her trip (she held her bladder and bowels for like 7 to 8 hours, when she finally did go she went a lot... i felt bad but kind of proud too..).

That, sounds like, a GREAT, "cat safe" room. You, may need a room, like that, for, a while and possible forever. I need it forever. But, I don't think, most, lower generation Savannahs or F3's for that matter, are, nuts like Loki!

The flooring is vinyl.

That, is good, again, in my humble opinion!

The only thing I can see her being able to ingest is either a) if she tore up the mouse, pet beds, or blanket or b) what's already happened is her scratching the cat trees carpet off and then she'll chew on the carpet. I just want her to be safe, and particularly after Neka I'm even more paranoid then I was before. 

One, with any hybrids, it is ALWAYS GOOD, to be mindful, of, what is in the cats environment. Now, having said that, most exotics and hybrids, have, some form of pica issues. Grant you, some, have it way worse, then, other. If, you are very lucky, she, will have none at all. But, what happened to Neka, to the best of my recollection, and that can be poor, but, it wasn't pica related. If, I am wrong, A) I am sorry and B) refresh my memory please

*** She meows a lot when I'm in the room and I'm trying to figure out what she wants... 

My Savannah, will, "meow" (it sounds more like, a domestic cat, screaming, when, it has been steeped on) when, me or Panda, my DLH, leave him alone. As in, I go to work and she wants to be left alone. Loki, is incessant. Panda, is terminally ill. So, how, they bonded so well, is, beyond me. But, they did. It seems, this breed, can just be vocal. Just like, a, completely domestic breed, like, a Siamese.

tl;dr ??: Sum up of questions:

I want tips of how to train my kitten right.

Please, define, the term "right" for me. Thank you, in advance.

So that she doesn't scratch the furniture,

Like, I said, above: A) get plenty of scratching posts. Ideally, with Sisal rope. B) Find out, what, surfaces your Savannah wants to scratch. Mine, loves to scratch plastic. So, I let him scratch a dustman. Last, and most important, IMHO, get her used to getting her nails clipped. My, F3 Savannahs nails, are, clipped as short as I can. It is great, cause, he can jump on me, and cause minimal inury. He, can't hurt the furniture, with, his nails so short.

so that she doesn't play bite,

They play biting is a kitten thing. I would recommend, A) not using your hands a toys. B) when she bites you, shove a sock, a stuffed animal, or two fingers, into her mouth, so, she gags. C) If, that doesn't work try Bitter Apple. D), If/when, she play bites, simply and calmly get up and leave the room. That will teacher her not to get too rough!

So that she doesn't chew or swallow things she shouldn't. 

much less bite for real.

My Savannah, as, wacko as he is, not an aggressive bitter, like, many pure domestics I worked with, owned, and fostered. My F3, is just a hyperactive, accident prone, tame cat

Also: I'm afraid that she's bored that I'm at work, do you know of any really good, hard, sturdy cat toys that I can leave with her that she can't harm herself with?

Depends on, the, generation of the cat. F1's and F2's there not much. Some dog toys, like Kong, and only the black ones, are FAIRLY safe. But, again, cats in general, and hybrids and pure exotics most of all, have much sharper and stronger teeth, then, the typical domestic dog.

I thought of getting her a play mate around December or so from the humane society as long as she was settled in fairly well by then. But my vet strongly discourage me from it and now I certainly will not be doing that....

I can tell you this, I am VERY sorry, I have domestics, with, my F3. My domestics are very very healthy, immune system wise. My Savannah, seems to not be. I am SURE, EVERY CAT, I have owned, had/has, the feline herpies virus. Even my, terminally ill, DLH, is asymptomatic, just like, my two DSH. I would recommend, another Savannah, a Chausie or Bengal. I wouldn't get a shelter cat. Since, you only have Sabriel, right? Again, this part, is just my

Pretty much told me they'd had health issues going around there for years and if I wanted my currently healthy cat to become unhealthy to get another cat from there.

I agree, with, your vet

So since I'm not paying the money again for another savannah and I'm not interested in another special breed of cat I'm content being a single cat owner.

You can get a BST Bengal or Chausie, much much less, then, any Savannah. I am not sure, if, any of those breeds, interest you, but, you may want to look into it. However, there is NOTHING wrong, with, being a single cat owner.

I'm just hoping that my cat won't be lonely.

As long as, you, interact with her a LOT, she will be fine. I can say this, I want to get Loki, a playmate, of, his own caliber. I just can't keep up and neither can my home
. Again, my F3, is way worse, then most F2's-SBT. I have been told, F1's are this wacko.

For the record I have an awesome vet even if he isn't a fan of the humane society.

Having,
worked in, vets offices, I am not always a fan of them

When the stuff went down with Neka all of her tests (x-ray, ultra sound, blood tests etc) were done at the emergency vet and the results were shipped over to my normal vet... so he didn't really get any money from that type of stuff even though that cost me like 700.00 in tests.

I see and wow.

But when Neka was put down, he unbeknownst to me had a histopathology report done on a biopsy from my cat to make sure it was lymphoma (there was a chance it could have been wet FIP). Lets just say over the year that I had her I was in there a lot and they thought I was a worry wort more or less, but when she was diagnosed with lymphoma my vet and all of his staff were very sympathetic to me.

I can just say this, I worry about Loki, more then any cat, I HAVE EVER OWNED. So, I see your point

When I had her put to sleep I was crying like a baby and he was kind and also sent me a sympathy card with a personal note.

That, is a great vet, in my humble opnion

So when I came with Sabriel on tuesday they understood that I was a bit paranoid

I would be too!

and got the fiv/felv which both came out as negative thankfully.

Yay and
!

I brought up that I was a little afraid that she could potentially develop FIP, even though it had been over a month since Neka had been a live I wasn't sure how many weeks the virus lives on.

It is, HIGHLY unlikely, that, Sabrial, could get FIP from what Neka had touched. 

The emergency vet couldn't assure me that it wasn't both lymphoma and fip.

I would ask your vet. I don't see why, medically, it couldn't be both. But, I think it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be BOTH!

When I put her down I thought she had been through enough and didn't want to put her through more stuff like an autopsy or something - not to mention at that point I had spent around 800.00 dollars or something.

The breeeder, didn't require the Necropsy? A lot do, so, the fact, you din't need one, makes, that a very kind and understanding breeder, IMHO!

So tuesday my vet told me he could assure me, and he showed me the histopathology report that was in the file, which said it was lymphoma carcinoma or something like that. I asked him what the report was because I was a little confused as I know the emergency vet didn't do it. He said he did it on his own because "i had to know... for myself"... are the words he used. To me that is an awesome vet... 

Wow, that is a GREAT VET!

Okay I'm done rambling...

I like, your "rambling".

I know I practically wrote a book...

I like and miss your "books". So, I am glad, you, wrote one for me to read
!

Can anyone please help me though with training my kitty?

I tried, let me know, what, you think and of course, if, you need any clarification, PLEASE, let me know

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you live in the Sioux Falls area? If so, try All Cats Rescue. . .they test all their kittens for everything so you have a better idea that they're healthy. I've never heard of any health problems from the HS but of course any kind of shelter situation can lead to URIs and other nasty bugs. Or try to find a kitten from someone whose cat had kittens and they've been taking good care of them (not just a neglected farm cat or anything like that). Those would your best chances for a healthy kitten, I think. Because, personally, I do think it's important for kittens to have a kitty friend. And much easier for us humans if she has another kitty to play with and get out all her energy!

As for training, for scratching you need to have some good sturdy scratching posts. When she scratches anyything else, interrupt her and bring her to a scratcher, tickle your fingers on it (or whatever will get her to scratch it), and praise her when she uses it. If you're consistent she'll get the idea soon. For biting, keep a big stuffy toy around, and when she tries to play-bite you, stick the toy in her face so she bites that instead. Never use your hands for playing, always use a toy.

Chewing. . .not all cats chew. And pica is frequently caused by health issues, so possibly that's why Neka was like that. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless Sabriel proves to be a chewer, too. Most chewing prevention is management, not training. Cover cords, keep chewable things put away, etc.

Is your vet Dr. Williams (I kinda think so since he's the exotics vet)? I agree he's pretty awesome :D.

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Txcatmom - Thank you for responding! Also I do play with her to with a laser toy, feather toys, and little toys that I throw for her and also drag around that she chases after. I'll definitely look into vets potentially putting cats up for adoption. Good suggestions. I might try the feliway or cat nip on her scratching posts. =)

P3 and The King - I know they need to scratch, I just want her to scratch her scratching posts and not my furniture. Also I had a savannah before this I know what they're like, I just wanted help training this one as I've never had a young kitten before. Thanks for replying. :)

catspaw66 - Thanks for responding. I will be trimming her nails. She doesn't scratch me, just furniture. She's got toys that she usually goes after. Just every now and then she play bites me as well..

Cat Person - Oh how I have missed you. You always seem to know what to say and you respond to everything I love it lol.  She's either an F5 or F6 even, pretty much the same as Neka was. I know she will never settle down completely, I just don't want her running around half wild half frightened that's what I meant by skittish. 

-I'm scared of using double sided sticky tape because Neka would always try to eat the stuff… I'm afraid the kitten will to.

- I designed that cat safe room around Neka, including the vinyl flooring because she would chew carpet. At the apartment I had so many things to learn with Neka that when I moved into my new house I pretty much new what to keep out of her reach. So all the normal cat proofing is already done for Sabriel. I also don't let her be around wires, metal, or normal carpet right now unless she's supervised.

-Neka's pica issues did not contribute to the lymphoma. Also she may have had some of the pica issues because of it… Digging up the carpet at the very end may have had to do with the lymphoma.. 

Thank you hun for coming back to the site and replying to me =)  (hugs)

Willowy - Thank you for replying and for being from South Dakota too! =) I'll ask my vet Dr. Brost (Animal Medical Clinic) about All Cats Rescue. From what my vet said the humane society has had upper respiratory issues for years along with other things at different times. As for the pica thing - apparently it's more prevalent in exotic/hybrid cats - but normal domestic cats can have it to and it is not always a health issue thing. With all the things Neka did get into from what I've read it's perfectly normal for savannahs but I also hope she won't be a chewer lol :)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I would recommend, another Savannah, a Chausie or Bengal. I wouldn't get a shelter cat.
I tend to agree with this, another breed of similar energy and personality would most likely suit her better than a shelter cat.

A lot of shelters do have URI issues, I'd be more concerned about the energy levels than the possible health issue, since you could isolate a newcomer and add lysine to it's food ensuring the symptoms don't flare up. 

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I might try the feliway or cat nip on her scratching posts. =)
Just to clarify, you would put the feliway where you don't want her to scratch....the couch.  Never spray it near a litter box or on a scratching post....it could deter them from using the box or post properly.   I'm pretty sure you only meant you would put the cat nip on her post and try the feliway elsewhere, but I thought I'd clarify, just in case. 

Good luck with your kitten!

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify, you would put the feliway where you don't want her to scratch....the couch.  Never spray it near a litter box or on a scratching post....it could deter them from using the box or post properly.   I'm pretty sure you only meant you would put the cat nip on her post and try the feliway elsewhere, but I thought I'd clarify, just in case. 

Good luck with your kitten!
Yeah I phrased it wrong. Anyway this morning without either went to start scratching at the corner of my couch and I said No in a loud voice tone and she backed off and ran behind the couch (which is a big open space) but didn't run all the way across the room which I consider good. I then picked her up and brought her to her scratching post and had her scratch on that a few times. By dragging my nails across it she gets territorial and she drags hers across it after that. 

Also this morning she went to play bite at my finger and I said no and she quit and then I gave her the toy mouse that I always keep with her and she started wrestling with that... I need to get her a strong toy that has a tail to it... something she can wrap her whole body onto. I know what they are, I can see them in my mind I'm just forgetting the name to them at the moment. That might help get some excess energy off of her as well. 

Her interactive toys with me don't leave her feeling drained at the end even if I play with her for 30 minutes plus. With the laser toy I have her running all over and I swear to god she is the energizer bunny of kittens lol =)

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
.... Anyway this morning without either went to start scratching at the corner of my couch and I said No in a loud voice tone and she backed off and ran behind the couch (which is a big open space) but didn't run all the way across the room which I consider good.

I agree, that, sounds good

I then picked her up and brought her to her scratching post and had her scratch on that a few times. By dragging my nails across it she gets territorial and she drags hers across it after that. 

Now, if, you can "emotionally handle" using the scratching post, in front of her frequently, she, will just copy you. All, domestic cats, copy each other. That, can be good or bad, depending on the behavior. Hybrid cats, however, seem, to be able to copy us. The way, I taught Loki, to scratch his cat tree's was by "showing him". I.E., I got down, on all fours, and "scratched" the cat tree. After, him, watching me do this, three or four times, he "got it". Now, in the case of Loki, ALL, that "teaching" was for NOTHING. I keep his nails, so short, that, he can't damage the furniture. But, it is the only way, to keep him, from, damaging my skin.

Also this morning she went to play bite at my finger and I said no and she quit and then I gave her the toy mouse that I always keep with her and she started wrestling with that...

First of all, GREAT WORK, on the displacement activity. I.E., giving her the toy to play with, instead of your fingers. Just keep doing that. Or, you can simply, end the play session, when, she tries to bite your fingers. However, it is important to remember, that, all species/types of kittens "play hard". It is natural and goes away with, to a point. But, with, hybrids and pure exotics, they will play "much harder", for, much longer.  

I need to get her a strong toy that has a tail to it... something she can wrap her whole body onto. I know what they are, I can see them in my mind I'm just forgetting the name to them at the moment.

I would LOVE, to see the toy, you, are talking about. I have NEVER, seen, such a toy. At least, that, I can think of

That might help get some excess energy off of her as well. 

Pure exotics and hybrids, until, about a year old, will have way more energy, then, you (the human) can hope to drain. I am only mentioning, this, so, you don't worry about, her, "hyperactive" behavior. It is VERY normal and a good indicator, of, her health

Her interactive toys with me don't leave her feeling drained at the end even if I play with her for 30 minutes plus.

VERY normal, for, a three and a half month of hybrid!

With the laser toy I have her running all over and I swear to god she is the energizer bunny of kittens lol =)

Just, my
, and please do NOT worry too much about, what, follows, I am just throwing it out there. I had the pleasure of working with/fostering a Pure Jungle Cat (Felis chaus). The previous owner, "play with" the cat, using, a laser light. It made the cat, a "little crazy". The cat would case shadows and light, that, came in from windows, to the point it was obsessive. Just like, a dog, can/would do.

Now, hybrid kitten, that, are healthy, both physically and socially, are like the "Energizer Bunny". If, you are "unlucky" like me, then, you will have a two year old hybrid, that, is like that

Cat Person - Oh how I have missed you.

I missed you too
. Don't you have my personal e-mail, phone number, and such? If not, just ask

You always seem to know what to say and you respond to everything I love it lol. 

Not sure, about, always, knowing the right thing to say. But thank you
. I do, answerer, EVERYTHING that is for sure
. Glad, you like it

She's either an F5 or F6 even, pretty much the same as Neka was.

Neka, looked more like, an F3-F4. She, was a very exotic looking girl. Plus, she looked long and lean too

I know she will never settle down completely,

Okay, as long as, you KNOW, that part

I just don't want her running around half wild half frightened that's what I meant by skittish. 

Only F1's run around half wild
. I am sorry, I was just joking. Anyway, the skitish, just goes away with time. As long as, you, continue to socialize her to new places, people, objects, and experiences. However, it is important to remember, that, most hybrids have an exaggerated "fear response", that, is NOT always, clear to us humans.

-I'm scared of using double sided sticky tape because Neka would always try to eat the stuff… I'm afraid the kitten will to.

Even, crazy Loki, NEVER, tried to eat the sticky tape. I am surprised Neka did. That proves, that, all hybrids are VERY different. Plus, the percentage, of, "wild blood" is not the only limiting factor
. If, you are scared to do that, with the kitten, I completely understand. When, I did that, with Loki, I was in the room at first. But, he NEVER tried to eat it and we all KNOW he isn't a rocket scientist

- I designed that cat safe room around Neka, including the vinyl flooring because she would chew carpet. At the apartment I had so many things to learn with Neka that when I moved into my new house I pretty much new what to keep out of her reach. So all the normal cat proofing is already done for Sabriel. I also don't let her be around wires, metal, or normal carpet right now unless she's supervised.

Good good

-Neka's pica issues did not contribute to the lymphoma.

. But, the pica issues, in general, had NOTHING to do with the lymphoma. Hybrids and pure exotics, are "prone" to pica issues. I can post, some links, if, you wish. That, is, just part of the "charm" of hybrid exotics. Or, the misery, depends on how you look at it

Also she may have had some of the pica issues because of it… Digging up the carpet at the very end may have had to do with the lymphoma.. 

Maybe, if, she NEVER did that before. But, if, she did, then, not very likely, IMHO.

Thank you hun for coming back to the site and replying to me =)  (hugs)

Not a problem hun. Just, contact me, via, E-mail, phone (call or text) or PM and I will GLADY return.
(hugs back)!

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I need to get her a strong toy that has a tail to it.
Are you thinking of a Kong Kickeroo....

http://reviews.petsmart.com/4830/4152468/kong-kong-r-kickeroo-teaser-catnip-toy-reviews/reviews.htm

My cats just loved wrestling those when they were younger.  Very much like wrestling a littermate, because they can bunny kick it and really wrap their paws around it. 

And I hear you about the double sided sticky tape...two of my four cats will eat it.  50% of cats surveyed at this house say "Double sided sticky tape is YUMMY!" 
  They will lick it and lick it until it is loosened then try to eat it.  (Needless to say we don't try to use it anymore.)