Suggestions for high quality soft food that tastes good and has high quality protein in it.

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I am looking for some suggestions for some canned food that has high quality protein in it that also is tasty for a slightly picky eater. I prefer something that is found in stores or perhaps a vet office, nothing that needs to be specially ordered online. My cat is transitioning from hard food and really is only eating fancy feast pate, but I feel the quality of this might be mediocre.

My cat has diabetes (well managed on soft food) and early stage kidney issues. I need a good food for this.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're in the US?

Believe it or not, Fancy Feast pates are just fine. I'd avoid the other varieties as they have more fillers and carbs from the gravies and such but it sounds like you're already doing that. I have 3 picky eaters and here's a list of foods that they like that are available in Petco and/or Petsmart. 

Nutro Natural Choice- available in both Petco and Petsmart. They have a good variety of flavors and textures like minced, sliced, soft loaf (pate)and chunky loaf (pate with bits)

Fancy Feast pates (available pretty much everywhere)

Friskies pates (same as above)

Soulistic Good Karma (shredded white meat chicken in a broth like gravy) and Harvest Sunrise (Good Karma with bits of pumpkin). This is Petco's house brand. It is made by Weruva (which can only be found in specialty pet stores and online) and is a high quality food. They love this one

Nature's Variety Instinct (all varieties of this line are pates).They are very high quality and available at both Petco and Petsmart

Pride by Instinct (another line by NVI mentioned above). These are available in flaked and minced varieties. Mine like the chicken and rabbit best. These are available in Petco- but not much variety. Petsmart no longer carries it in store. BOO Petsmart! 

Sheba pates. Available pretty much everywhere FF and Friskies are sold. 

Grreat Choice- Petsmart's house brand. It is very similar to Fancy Feast and is very reasonable. I have found 13 ounce cans of the mixed grill on sale for .67 cents. I cleaned them out. 

Merrick pates. They will only eat these from this brand. They won't touch any other variety. These are available at Petco

The best food for your cat is one that they will eat and you can afford. If that's the FF pates, go for it. Many of us keep FF in our rotations. They are widely available, moderately priced and most cats like them. 

Can I ask why you don't want to shop online? Once you find foods that your cat likes, you can save time and money by buying by the case online. Sites like chewy.com, wag.com and Amazon offer auto ship features (Amazon's is subscribe and save) where you get a discount and usually free shipping. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I edited my post above, my cat has well managed diabetes and early signs of kidney issues so I want to get him on some really good food. As for online, I just wanted to be able to grab a few cans from the store to test out and see what they like.

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not all vets have this but try Dave’s 95% premium meats cat food. It's very healthy for them with tons of protein. Also here the cans only cost about $1.29 each. I've used their foods to both fatten up skinny cats, and to slim down my chunky butterball before as well.