Suggestion regarding threads

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you should lock threads that have not been used in quite some time so that we no longer have cases of thread necromancy. If the OP comes back and wants it reopened then they can message admins.

I recently saw a thread that had not been used in five years be bumped up to the surface by someone who used the search feature. This is getting ridiculous.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
If it encourages someone to join and participate on the site, I don't see any harm.  If the person needs help, you can report the post so it can moved to a new thread and gets the attention it deserves.  It is actually interesting and fun to see some of the old threads being resurrected.  I think we should be welcoming to these people and not embarrass them by pointing out that it is an old thread.  If the person is expecting an answer from the previous posters, we can gently bring it to their attention that they probably won't get an answer.

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestion :) We don't have a way to automatically lock old threads, and I'm not sure it's something we want to do. Many of these threads get long-tail search engine traffic and bring in new members, and finding a locked thread can be a turn-off, IMO. Also, returning members may want to bring up an old thread they had participated in, and that would be ok too. If you see a thread where you feel the new post is either spammy or off-topic, by all means, please hit the report button and flag it for mod attention!
If it encourages someone to join and participate on the site, I don't see any harm.  If the person needs help, you can report the post so it can moved to a new thread and gets the attention it deserves.  It is actually interesting and fun to see some of the old threads being resurrected.  I think we should be welcoming to these people and not embarrass them by pointing out that it is an old thread.  If the person is expecting an answer from the previous posters, we can gently bring it to their attention that they probably won't get an answer.
I agree. I urge all of us to please keep in mind that this could be a new member's first, and probably only at that point, experience with our community. We need to keep it very friendly and welcoming and be aware that some of these new members may not be aware of how the forums work.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree 100%. I feel bad sometimes when there is a thread resurrected just to be followed by a a short comment, like "thanks for resurrect such an old thread" , or something like that.... I just saw one like that today and made me feel sad for the poster....
Just because something happened years ago, it doesn't mean the issue no longer happens and the thread can no longer be helpful.... I have seen threads being resurrected that were very helpful to the person that was posting, and while the original poster was not the one responding, a bunch of current members came to the rescue to help that member up.
I think we need to remember that there is a reason that person found that thread and is asking questions, and instead of being judgmental, just try to help..... At least that's the way I see it.

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree 100%. I feel bad sometimes when there is a thread resurrected just to be followed by a a short comment, like "thanks for resurrect such an old thread" , or something like that.... I just saw one like that today and made me feel sad for the poster....
Just because something happened years ago, it doesn't mean the issue no longer happens and the thread can no longer be helpful.... I have seen threads being resurrected that were very helpful to the person that was posting, and while the original poster was not the one responding, a bunch of current members came to the rescue to help that member up.
I think we need to remember that there is a reason that person found that thread and is asking questions, and instead of being judgmental, just try to help..... At least that's the way I see it.
I believe I saw that as well, and felt bad for the poster too.  It was a first time post.  Actually the poster brought up a question that I had been wondering myself (if it is the same thread) and I was glad to find it.  I posted on it as well.  That thread appeared to me to be a classic that was time to resurrect, so I couldn't tell if the comment was sarcastic or genuine.  And it served no purpose other than bumping it right back to the top.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe I saw that as well, and felt bad for the poster too.  It was a first time post.  Actually the poster brought up a question that I had been wondering myself (if it is the same thread) and I was glad to find it.  I posted on it as well.  That thread appeared to me to be a classic that was time to resurrect, so I couldn't tell if the comment was sarcastic or genuine.  And it served no purpose other than bumping it right back to the top.
Yeah..... I think we might be talking about the same one. I didn't quote verbatim as I don't want to embarrass anyone.... As to being genuine or sacastic, I have a feeling it wasn't genuine.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah..... I think we might be talking about the same one. I didn't quote verbatim as I don't want to embarrass anyone.... As to being genuine or sacastic, I have a feeling it wasn't genuine.
That was my conclusion but I wasn't sure.  I posted in order to ease any embarassment on the poster, not knowing if I was going to get slammed as well.  That thread is a classic that I have really enjoyed reading.  I wouldn't have found it if the poster didn't dig it up and dust it off.  Too bad, I don't think the poster ever returned. 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
When you see a post which you feel could make someone uncomfortable, there's always the report button. It was used in this instance and I thank you for that! We aim at making TCS very newbie friendly, so that people feel welcome to ask their cat-related questions.