Suddenly stopped wanting to eat

meranaldar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not really sure why I'm posting this, just need to get it out I guess. Worried.

I've been feeding a frankrenprey diet for the last 4 months, and it has been going great. She would eat anything I gave her. And then on Sunday night suddenly she didn't want to eat.

I've been getting her to eat most of the meal by cutting it up into small chunks and hand feeding her. Sometimes once I give her a piece or two she'll eat some (cut up) on her own, though rarely finishes the meal this way, sometimes I have to hand feed her every piece, and sometimes she simply refuses, only eating a little. Which she has never done previously, never leaving a meal unfinished.

She has seemed a bit subdued, and generally just stays laying on my bed even when I'm getting her food, whereas usually she'll be up and waiting. A couple of times she has been around waiting for her food, and I think this looks promising... then she'll look at the food, and walk away, or just sit there in front of it.

I took her to the vet Wednesday night, and they couldn't see anything obviously wrong with her. Though there was one surprising thing. My last vet visit 4 months ago, the vet (different one than I saw Wednesday) said she had a 'little extra padding', so I've been trying to get her to lose a little on the raw diet, and I had been sure she had. She looks to me like she has slimmed down a bit, and I was thinking I probably don't want her to lose much more, I thought she was looking quite good now. So I was very surprised when the scales said she had gained a little weight. This vet also said she looked to be a good weight for her size (6kg, or 13.2 pounds).

She was given a mild painkiller and some vitamin B injection which the vet said should help stimulate an appetite, to see how she goes. That night she didn't eat much, about half the meal (all the kidney, she still eats the liver and kidney portions quite well, but only one little piece of the duck). The next morning she ate well though, I still cut it up into small pieces, but she ate it all and licked the plate clean. Then it was back to having to hand feed her every bit for the following meals :(

The vet said I could go back for a blood test, which I'll probably do tonight when I get home from work, though being a Friday night I guess I'll probably have to wait until next week for results. Back to having a shaved section on her neck I suppose, it hasn't long grown back from the last blood test (just a routine check up 4 months ago).

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh, I feel your concern. It's always worrisome when they don't want to eat. Have you tried giving her anything else? Like meat baby food or any treats? My cat went on a raw strike, so I am having to resort to canned right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meranaldar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've only tried giving her some dried treats I had which she usually goes crazy over. 4 little pieces, she ate 3 and left the 4th.

I was planning to get some canned food today, to see how that goes.

Not sure whether I should go in for the blood test, or leave it a bit longer and try the canned. The vet said to give it 24 hours or so and if she still wasn't eating well to consider bringing her back in for the blood test. Tonight will have been 48, since she did eat fairly well the previous morning, so I was hopeful.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she is eating at least 1/2 to 2/3 of her normal caloric intake, I would watch and see. If she's not eating that much, then I think it's more time sensitive as you start getting into risking fatty liver. It's a tough call heading into a weekend. Is your vet open on Saturday?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she is eating at least 1/2 to 2/3 of her normal caloric intake, I would watch and see. If she's not eating that much, then I think it's more time sensitive as you start getting into risking fatty liver. It's a tough call heading into a weekend. Is your vet open on Saturday?
:yeah: Of course these things always happen on the weekends. :hugs:

It seems that every time we took all the precautions of the vet visits, blood work, x-rays, whatever, it turned out just to be a virus that needed a few days to resolve on its own; and every time we waited to see, it turned out to be "something." :rolleyes:

Honestly, I'd do the blood work. I know it was "just" done 4 months ago, but depending on her age, that can be close to a year equivalent in a person. With 8 older cats, it seems we're always worrying about someone... and there are just so many things that can put them "off" for a little while. But for peace of mind.... :rub:

And if you do take her for blood work, maybe ask about something for nausea? It's not a leap to think a cat off their food doesn't feel right in the tummy....

Vibes for you and your girl! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

meranaldar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I have been getting a decent amount of food into her for the most part, it's just a bit of a struggle with a cat who has always been so easy to feed. Even switching to raw food at 13 years of age only took a couple of weeks.

Sunday night, first sign of problems, she ate 13g. Part of this meal was the occasional treat of a whole mouse (once every couple of weeks or so). She ate the head and left the rest.

Monday: 107g (36 / 30 / 41)

Tuesday: 118g (39 / 36 / 43)

Wednesday: 78g (36 / 23 / 19)

Thursday: 110g (38 / 34 / 38)

Normal is about 114g, 38x3.

So for the most part it's not too far off that, but it doesn't happen easily.
It seems that every time we took all the precautions of the vet visits, blood work, x-rays, whatever, it turned out just to be a virus that needed a few days to resolve on its own; and every time we waited to see, it turned out to be "something."

Honestly, I'd do the blood work. I know it was "just" done 4 months ago, but depending on her age, that can be close to a year equivalent in a person. With 8 older cats, it seems we're always worrying about someone... and there are just so many things that can put them "off" for a little while. But for peace of mind....
Yeah that's always the way. Perhaps that's a good reason to take those precautions? :)

Never really thought about the time like that. That last blood test was my first visit to a new veterinary clinic, one which caters just to cats, and they were recommending a senior checkup (blood test, urine sample, etc). When they recommended that every 6 months I thought that sounded a little excessive.

I'm also due to be going away on the 22nd of August for 10 days, which was going to be the first time I've been away since starting on raw feeding (no more just having someone put dry food in an automatic feeder for me). But, if she's not back to normal very soon, there's no way I can leave her in the care of a pet sitter like this, so I won't be going.

As for something for nausea, I think that was part of one of the injections she got last visit. The vet said something about it being just a mild pain killer, and something to settle her down.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:nod: Yes, time/aging happen "more quickly" for a cat, which is why it is recommended that older animals are seen every six months.

Interesting - I never thought of a pain killer as an anti-nausea med. :dk: There's a specific anti-nausea medication used here (can be given as an injection or a pill) that works really well if the issue is nausea-based. It's called Cerenia.

I do hope this is just a passing thing, and you'll be able to take your trip! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

meranaldar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, dinner went well. She was up waiting in the kitchen as I got my dinner (I always feed her at the same time I eat), then ate all her dinner (beef heart, cut up into a couple of small chunks, but left the rest as 3 larger chunks when I saw she looked interested in dinner), with only a tiny bit of prompting to get her started (just had to lift the plate up under her nose).

So fingers crossed following meals go as well.

I did buy a couple of 3 ounce cans of commercial food, but hopefully I won't need them. Good to have around as an emergency backup. The veterinary clinic is open on Saturday, but not Sunday, though the vet I saw isn't in until Monday. I'm going to leave it for the moment and see if she continues to eat well. If I need to go back in I'll ask about the nausea thing.

I had a look at the invoice as to what injections she was given. Methone as the pain killer. One page for humans says "Treating moderate to severe pain that is not relieved by other pain medicines.".

Searching for cats just brings up Methadone, same thing I wonder? "This product is contraindicated for use in cats."

"Opioids have an unjustified reputation for causing mania in cats, but with refinements in dosing they are now used successfully in this species."

And Hemoplex, "Supplementary source of iron, vitamins, minerals and amino acids for use in horses.".

"May be used in anorectic, anaemic and debilitated cats especially those suffering from infectious feline anaemia. Hemoplex is ideal to restore deficient iron status and maintain with Ironcyl."

Last edited:

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've experienced twice this with my older cat during our transition to raw. She stopped eating because her body was adjusting to the amount of food she is used to. She ate two cups of kibble a day and when I switched to raw, she started eating only a a "mouseful" per meal. After about 3 - 4 months, she stopped eating for about two days. And then slowly went back to normal. I wouldn't worry too much. After the second day of not eating, I took two steps back (sprinkling some of her favourite treats over her food). 

meranaldar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems I just needed to make a post here 

I got home from work that day and she ate fine as mentioned in my last post, and she has been continuing to eat like normal, and also acting like her usual self. She had a fairly large chicken neck for dinner.

So everything appears to be back to normal, and was just some virus or such that needed a few days.

Perhaps I worried too much, but I'd rather to be on the safe side. I think that may be only her second non-scheduled vet visit in 13 years.