Suddenly Stopped Eating Wet Food

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Roman suddenly stopped eating wet food last night after he ate it all yesterday morning. I tried both american journey and tiny tiger. Nothing. He really needed to eat for his meds, so I ran to the vet and got some samples of Hills c/d UTI. I don't understand. I have not been putting medication in his food. I did that one time and stopped because it wasn't working, he went back to eating wet. What the heck do I do? I don't want him to regress to dry that totally defeats the purpose here.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If all else fails, you can moisten the dry food with either water or a little of the juice from a can of tuna. Other than that, I'm at a loss just now. I'll put my thinking cap on, and be back if I come up with another strategy to try!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If all else fails, you can moisten the dry food with either water or a little of the juice from a can of tuna. Other than that, I'm at a loss just now. I'll put my thinking cap on, and be back if I come up with another strategy to try!
or just go back to the half wet/half dry approach? i have literally ~100 cans i hauled from chewy on BF. this sucks! lol

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried adding warm water to the food to enhance the aroma? If it wasn't a fresh can, it could be that it's too old for his liking. We have to open a can and put half in the freezer for one of my guys.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he's always following me into the kitchen when im preparing his wet food. i tried water (not warm) but this all started last night. i opened a fresh can for dinner. i woke up to feed him his morning and he didn't even take a single bite. wth?? hes eating hills dry now.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Roman suddenly stopped eating wet food last night after he ate it all yesterday morning. I tried both american journey and tiny tiger. Nothing. He really needed to eat for his meds, so I ran to the vet and got some samples of Hills c/d UTI. I don't understand. I have not been putting medication in his food. I did that one time and stopped because it wasn't working, he went back to eating wet. What the heck do I do? I don't want him to regress to dry that totally defeats the purpose here.

What meds. is he taking and what for? You can try sprinkling a little Parmesan/Romanoff cheese on his food, maybe that will get him to eat. Have you asked Vet. about an appetite stimulant?

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What meds. is he taking and what for? You can try sprinkling a little Parmesan/Romanoff cheese on his food, maybe that will get him to eat. Have you asked Vet. about an appetite stimulant?
clavamox for crystals
he's peeing fine but thats cause i was giving him wet day and night

no not yet, but weird how he just stopped eating wet suddenly. im going back monday.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know vets really push prescription food but they’re all at premium prices and full with grains (which I know he’s not intolerant to, but he eats grain free better than “ground corn” I’m annoyed about this.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tried gravy food today with hills. Seems to be eating. Maybe this means he hates paté now. Gonna have to start using toppers or mixing that wet tube treat in there. Not sure why he suddenly changed his mind about paté.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm late here. So an update I found something that works Purina ProPlan UTI Chicken & GRAVY + Royal Canin (Chicken/Gel)

It's the gravy. Will I continue to buy Royal canin? Heck no, not when I have 5x cases of 24-packs of different wet food. Just gonna mix this Gravy in and hope he eats it all.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A very wise member here once told me, "The very best food is the one that your cat will actually eat." The "best" food in the world does no good sitting in the bowl.

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you ever figure this out? My cat is not eating wet food suddenly now too. Once in a while she'll take a few licks and that's it. Maya is an anomaly in many ways, I figured I'd just add this to the list. But interesting it's happened to someone else.