Sudden open mouth breathing for 10 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My other cat (who is 15) late Saturday morning suddenly started doing this. Haven't a clue why. All was calm and quiet. It stopped but she will still at times breath fast from her stomach. I will be calling my vets office at 8:00 am tomorrow and see about getting her in and seen. I really don't know what I am doing wrong. All 4 cats now have some sort of health problem going on and I really can't take any more of this. Part of me wants to just open the door and let them be free before their life ends. Won't do it but I just don't want to do this worrying and wondering and then spending more money at the vets. The only thing I can think of that might make this start is she put on a lot of weight when I started to let them free eat dry food again. My other cat needs weight put on and I'm not always here to feed her and vet said I could just let them all free eat the food. It's for diabetics. This cat loves and I mean loves dry food and she has always put weight on with it. I took the dry food away on Friday and back to feeding her just canned 3 times a day. I'm hoping this is the problem, but my gut is telling me it isn't. Is it just me or do other people's elderly cats suddenly become ill almost at the same time???

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you noticed any improvement since you removed the dry food? Has she only done this once? I hope the vet can see her soon. It's scary when they do this :(
And no, it's not just you. These things seem to all come on at once. I've gone through periods where everyone is healthy, happy, life is good and we have this really nice "flow" to life, then all Hell breaks loose and everyone is sick at the same time. I've spent many times feeling like I'm running/living in a home pet hospital. :(
No other changes in laundry detergents, cleaners, etc.? :hugs:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With any luck it is just the weight and getting her to lose some may be the answer. But the best thing to do is a full senior checkup for her, especially if she hasn't had one recently. All cats should have annual checkups, and those over 9 or so, should probably have them twice a year - just to head off problems before they become real issues. Sadly, most cats anymore end up with health issues as they age. Some have it happen quicker than others, and when you have multiple cats that are older, the odds are not in your favor to avoid health problems. I haven't had multiple cats at one time, but each cat that I have taken care of has had some sort of health issue (or multiple issues) as they have aged. I think for the majority of us, it is almost inevitable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She only open gasped that one time and since I haven't had any major problems with her, I never watched her like a hawk like I have had to do with the others and now I feel bad. It's like I let her down. I don't know what her normal breathing rate is. Two of her sisters have a high breathing rate. 4 years ago I changed everything in the house because two have allergies. I only use baby laundry soap/fabric softener that has nothing in it and I only clean with vinegar and a furniture polish that was approved by the lung associate for Asthma. Also changed their litter to one that is made with only Grass. I bought 3 A/C for summer and 3 big air purifiers, and I have two big humidifiers for wintertime. I did get in with her today and saw the vet that owns the place. Got lucky because he is really the only one I trust. She passed her physical. Heart/lungs sound good. No temperature. She only gained 1/2 a lb which surprised me. He said since she is older now it could just be she is losing muscle and her fat is showing more. (Had that happen with her sister beginning of this year. Her hips and back legs look like just bones. ) She had a full blood work up in July this year (Most of the time they have it twice or 3 times a year last few years) and it was good. He did say it could be a mass (but I'm thinking no because if it was it wouldn't be the same amount of "fat" on each side of her stomach. She isn't lopsided) or fluid and the only way to know is an Xray which I had planned on. She will have in house blood work done too just to make sure. He said she is stable and doesn't seem to be in any distress. So, Wednesday morning I leave her for the Xray and hope for the best. She is eating (would eat constantly if I let her) drinking, peeing/pooping so I'm hoping it will just be her getting older and losing muscle.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Xray (which I saw) showed she has a fatty mass on her left side and that has pushed all her intestines to the right side. It isn't a tumor or cancer, but he doesn't really know so he sent it to the radiologist to look at. For now do nothing. Her potassium is way low so she will be on medication for that so now all of my cats have medicine. :gaah: At least with her it should be easy since she will eat anything but watch.....put a pill in it and she will turn away and say no thanks. :rolleyes:

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I let her out of the pen this morning and she can hardly use her back legs! She's been sedated before and not have this happen. Her mother had this happen 2 years ago after I took her for her butt glands to be done and then found out 20 days later she was diabetic and that was because I took her to another place which is the place I go to now. I know the paperwork says 24 hrs for walking but she should be able to use her back legs. She should only be wobbly walking. Does it ever stop???? I thought last year and the year before was bad but this is getting stupid.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did call the vet after they opened. I swear.....I don't think they all know anything. Vet yesterday was all fine with her. Just watch and see and now suddenly I have to rush her to the ER which wasn't going to happen because the ER is closed due to they are full and my vet today told me about another ER (not opened 24/7) would get her in. No, not going to happen there either after I called them when I got home. At the vet visit they first said she could have passed a blot clot. No....wasn't that....could be her heart...did EKG results were sent to radiologist and her heart is fine. They did what little ultrasound they could do (didn't charge me) and could see her kidneys and bladder are fine but that's all they could see. They don't think she is filling with blood because her blood work was good. They don't think kidney problems because of good blood work so they don't know why she is having fluid problem but this vet has me so upset and worried now. I found out while I was waiting for them to come back to the room she was calling the 2nd er place to make an appointment but told them I can't just go. I have one person who can go with me. I can't drive home in the dark and they were having a family emergencey. That's when they told me to call the place when I got home to make the appointment and I found out it couldn't happen today because they are booked plus the cat has to fast for 16 hrs to do an ultrasound. The plan is to call them first think 8:00 am to see if they can fit her in and then go and sit in the ER and wait our turn for a fit in. I'm not sure which doctor to believe. The one yesterday was the one I always trusted because he hasn't been wrong yet. The one today didn't do right with my cat who started having seizures. I do know it can be cancer. My other cat died from cancer and I found out about it 3 days before I had to put her down and she was filling up with fluid too. I'm not holding out any hope at this point and I'm not really sure what is causing the fluid problem but hopefully will find out tomorrow.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a tumor and nothing can be done about it. Surgery is too risky and her age.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear that! Where is the tumor? Why can they not treat it with chemo, or even radiation (depending on the location/organ)?

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's in her adrenal gland. They can't do a biopsy because it is way too risky of a procedure and surgery is too. Most animals never recover from that type of surgery. Lots of major blood vessels there. With her age they are assuming it is cancer so just enjoy her and hope for the best. They could do steroid shots, but her heart is enlarged so that is out. She's almost 16 yrs old and out of all 6 cats I had I never worried about her. She was only sick two times and this is how it will end. I'm trying not to think about it. She's happy right now. Acts normal too and the doc was amazed how well she was acting. Her legs not working right is from the very low potassium which is being caused by the tumor. Hopefully the supplement will help get it back to normal. He redid the blood work and so far just one dose has increased her potassium level some but has a long way to go. She also has inflammation in all of her organs called triaditis. Normally with that they are in the hospital with an IV but she's acting normal. It's like IBS in people. He couldn't tell me how long she has or how fast the tumor will keep growing. It's a waiting game but I'm not going to dwell on it. I am going to let her live a normal life and be happy with her. The end time will come soon enough. I do know my other cat that died from cancer only lived 3 months, but I didn't find out it was cancer until 3 days before the end. The other vet place missed it on the xray 3 months earlier and there was nothing that could be done for her either. She does have pain medicine when needed and the pain is what causes her odd breathing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's in her adrenal gland. They can't do a biopsy because it is way too risky of a procedure and surgery is too. Most animals never recover from that type of surgery.
I am by no means suggesting the same thing, but Feeby had an enlarged adrenal gland in an ultrasound in December, that resolved itself - without treatment of any kind - with her next ultrasound in June. Continue to treat what you can! She has enough issues to work on without worrying about the adrenal gland.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am by no means suggesting the same thing, but Feeby had an enlarged adrenal gland in an ultrasound in December, that resolved itself - without treatment of any kind - with her next ultrasound in June. Continue to treat what you can! She has enough issues to work on without worrying about the adrenal gland.
I'm so glad your Feeby's enlarged adrenal gland resolved itself. I don't think my cats will. She looks very pregnant and both sides stick way out and her insides are being pushed to the one side from the tumor. Her intestines are all on one side and the tumor is on the other side. This is a very big tumor. The adrenal gland is the major problem for my cat. Only thing I have medicine for is her super low potassium.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think she will make it much longer. 😥 Things were going good and then suddenly this afternoon she started breathing fast again. Gave her pain med like doc said but it didn't help. Her tumor has grown quit a bit last couple of days. Nothing I can do for her at all but just hope she will fall asleep and never wake up. I dread making that decision again. Never saw this coming with her which makes it super harder. Out of all 6 cats I only worried about her once last year in February out of her 15 yrs. I feel like I have spent the last 6 yrs trying to keep all of them alive and I'm not winning the battle. 😢 I know they won't live forever, and I can't stop the end from happening but for once I would like to have my pet die naturally. With no suffering. Or with me having to kill them and yes, I see it as killing them. I am so tired of the death watch. Pets and people.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry 😞.

Gave her pain med like doc said but it didn't help.
Can you request something different? Maybe CBD if you're not in Idaho?

I know what you mean, I wish I could change the whole thing for you and for her

❤🌹❤

Last edited:

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think any pain medicine will help at this point. She has gotten so big I imagine the tumor is pushing against her lungs now. Along with everything else. Going to call the place and see if they can do anything for her but I know what the answer will already be. 😢

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry.....I know after attending SO many deaths in my lifetime, both human and cat, they RARELY end peacefully while in their sleep. i have prayed for it so many times.....You cannot let your little one suffer. When life becomes existing rather than living, it is time. It is a decision that takes a little part of your soul, but I always think I would rather have someone help me at the end of my life then to continue the suffering. If you cannot endure that decision, just hold on to her and let her feel your love. All life fights against entering the night, it is not so much the pain as it is that combined with fear. And the feelings of losing control. With a loved one nearby it helps. At the end of life the body begins to shut down, the pain will leave. Get a good oral pain med from your vet and keep her calm. You will be blessed for caring for all of them with love and compassion. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers......

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is no place I can take her. The vet hospital I took her to for the ultrasound has no one there and the big vet hospital is not accepting patients. Nothing they can do for her anyways so why make her do the long trip. I will just keep giving her the pain medicine and hope it does something for her and then call the vet Monday morning.
I won't let her suffer. Didn't with all the other pets so if I have to make that decision Monday I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.