Sudden open mouth breathing for 10 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you both. Part of me is so angry and the other part wants to just cry and run away.
Towards the end of Tag's life, I wanted desperately to be home with him at all times. When I was home, I desperately wanted to be somewhere else because it was just so upsetting. I wish there was something I could do to help you. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Towards the end of Tag's life, I wanted desperately to be home with him at all times. When I was home, I desperately wanted to be somewhere else because it was just so upsetting. I wish there was something I could do to help you. :hugs:
This is how I feel. I'm trying not to think about Monday. Guess live in denial for a little while longer but she is no longer wanting to eat/drink. She is hungry/thirsty but won't take any of it. She has thrown up 3 times today. Twice food and once liquid. Hard to watch TV with all the Christmas stuff and knowing she won't be here for it. She won't be with me next Saturday this time. 😢 Won't be with me starting next year. I think the waiting death watch is the hardest part of it all and not knowing if she is suffering or what she would want me to do.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you were to take some water in a bowl, dab your finger into it, and touch her nose to encourage her to lick it off, do you think that would spike her drive to drink some fluids? Could you maybe mix that water with chicken or tuna broth to make it taste better to her?
Pedialtye
Here is an easy recipe Furballsmom Furballsmom posted for home made pedialyte to keep her electrolytes balanced. I hope this helps. :hugs:

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She stopped throwing up at 3:00 am and has finally started drinking small amounts of water around 6:00 am. Maybe she was just sick and this isn't the end? Will find out if she eats at 7:30 am. They get canned in a small amount then because the other two have insulin at 8:00 am. I'm starting to hope she was just sick and nothing more.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you were to take some water in a bowl, dab your finger into it, and touch her nose to encourage her to lick it off, do you think that would spike her drive to drink some fluids? Could you maybe mix that water with chicken or tuna broth to make it taste better to her?
Pedialtye
Here is an easy recipe Furballsmom Furballsmom posted for home made pedialyte to keep her electrolytes balanced. I hope this helps. :hugs:
She is very skittish around me so doing that won't work. Not sure why she is that way. I've had her since she was born. You would think I was mean and beat her all the time sometimes the way she runs away from me when I am just walking in her direction. If she doesn't eat any canned this morning I will open a can of tuna and see if she will drink the water from that. She normally will.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She ate some breakfast (canned food) drank more water and went outside to their play area twice. (It's fenced in attached to the house. They have a doggie door). Maybe the pain medicine I gave her didn't sit well? If she is still the same way tomorrow morning no vet visit and I will still have her with me for however longer it may be. I'm hoping for at least Christmas

Last edited:

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She just threw up her breakfast. Only stayed down for 2 hours. 😢 Will take her tomorrow and see what the vet says. I'm thinking the tumor is pushing on her lungs and stomach. If she can't keep food/water down she will just slowly starve to death. Even though she looks like she weighs 20 lbs. 😢 I don't know why I keep getting my hopes up when in my head I know.........I know the out come....and I can't change it. 😢😢😢

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can I ask something that I couldn’t find mentioned? What was she doing physically before noticing her breathing like this.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can I ask something that I couldn’t find mentioned? What was she doing physically before noticing her breathing like this.
When it all first started? She was sleeping and just got up and did the open mouth breathing.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure she will make it through the night now. She will lay there, and her head will drop down to the floor like she is going into a really deep sleep. I should have put her down long ago, but she was doing good until late Friday afternoon. Something always happens nights or weekends when the vet office is closed. Now I'm not sure if she is suffocating or just losing strength from not eating much and will just fall asleep and not wake up. She just threw up a lot of water that was either greenish or yellowish and where did all the water come from? She hasn't had that much to drink today. No place to take her until I can call the place at 8:00 am and they might not have an early appointment. Why can't everyone just die quickly and fast. Why always having to linger?

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When it all first started? She was sleeping and just got up and did the open mouth breathing.
I think I know what’s going on. The medical term for low potassium is called Hypokalemia. Potassium is the electrolyte responsible for muscle functioning and when it’s chronically low all the supportive muscle weakens and so everything that needs muscle function, including the lungs start struggling. The vet has her on potassium supplements so he/she knows that it’s the only medication that will help, you have to get the electrolytes balanced again for her to get well. When you see the vet have her potassium levels measured, if you can start getting them back to normal most of those symptoms will stop.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I know what’s going on. The medical term for low potassium is called Hypokalemia. Potassium is the electrolyte responsible for muscle functioning and when it’s chronically low all the supportive muscle weakens and so everything that needs muscle function, including the lungs start struggling. The vet has her on potassium supplements so he/she knows that it’s the only medication that will help, you have to get the electrolytes balanced again for her to get well. When you see the vet have her potassium levels measured, if you can start getting them back to normal most of those symptoms will stop.
When I took her after this all started x-ray and ultrasound was done and found out she has a tumor in her adrenal gland. Nothing could be done and it's been growing since. Her potassium level was going up with the last blood work but it's the tumor that is the problem. Or she has fluid buildup from something else. She's been throwing up since Saturday morning.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She made it through the night but has now started that meowing. Vet opens in 1/2 hour and hopefully they can get her in right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.