Sudden loss of appetite

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have four cats. They are 13 (in less than two weeks), 11, 2, and 2. The seniors always have a big appetite and are in fact overweight, which I have been working on slowly by just cutting back portions for gradual weight loss. Suddenly yesterday and today, they are not eating much at all. They usually get dry and wet food each day. They aren't eating the kibble at all. They both licked a little gravy off the wet food and stopped. I offered them their favorite crunchy treat - Whisker Lickins and they ate a few of those. They were willing to share a Churu tube. Then I tried tuna, which they always want a little of when I am making it for myself. They ate a little bit, but both walked away before they were done. This is unheard of. It's like they're interested until they get started and then they don't want it. I have an appointment this evening with the vet to take the 13-year-old in because they didn't have time for both. I am quite concerned. So far the younger two seem unaffected. I've been wracking my brain to figure out what it could be that it is affecting both of them at the same time. I'm trying to prepare for the vet visit thinking through if they could have gotten into something poisonous, etc., but I can't think of anything. Has anyone had this happen with their cat?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it shedding season where you are? They could have hairballs waiting to be thrown up if it is. A cats digestive system becomes lazy when they age just like humans and the hair doesn't move through as easily.

Is lack of appetite the only symptom or has litterbox behaviour changed at all? Both number 1 and 2 (Appearance, amount, frequency etc.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it shedding season where you are? They could have hairballs waiting to be thrown up if it is. A cats digestive system becomes lazy when they age just like humans and the hair doesn't move through as easily.

Is lack of appetite the only symptom or has litterbox behaviour changed at all? Both number 1 and 2 (Appearance, amount, frequency etc.)

IndyJones, thank you for replying. I'm not sure about shedding season. It probably is, though I've never noticed anything like this before, though as you say, they are aging. The 11-year-old is just a vomit-er in general, though not daily, so finding a puke spot is not usually a big surprise, but I would say that there have been an excessive number of very small vomit spots yesterday and today that I found in the morning. They are the only two out in those areas at night so it is one or both of them. (One young cat sleeps with me with the door shut; the other young cat has to be closed off by herself due to behavior issues).

There are no issues with using the litter box. Everything is fine there. I did notice last evening that one of them had a #2 that was exceptionally smelly and when I scooped the box a little while later, it seemed somewhat softer than usual, but not diarrhea. I think it's too soon to judge frequency, especially with four cats sharing the boxes.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you changed their food recently? Do you rotate food varieties? Have you opened a new bag of dry food or cans of canned food?

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
stephanietx, thank you for replying. I did try Fancy Feast beef and poultry gravy lovers, which is new to them. The box arrived last Thursday and by Saturday or Sunday (after using six cans among the four cats over 3-4 days), it became obvious that it was not popular with any of them. I ended up pulling it off my cat food shelf and putting it in the closet. They usually eat regular grilled Fancy Feast seafood collection and poultry and beef collection, but not usually the gravy lovers. Nothing else changed, no new bags of dry food. If that was it, what happens next? They haven't had it since Saturday or Sunday, and I'm pretty sure the last day I gave it to them they didn't eat it anyway. So, can this work out of their systems? The 13-year-old puked the tiny amount of Churu and treats she accepted today and then she had diarrhea.

The 13-year-old saw the vet this evening, and we were able to take in a sample of the diarrhea. They have their own lab, and they said it was free of parasites and worms. Then they did a whole lot of bloodwork - including blood counts, kidney function, liver function, and more. Everything was great! Especially for a girl her age. They gave her an injection of fluids since she hasn't been eating or drinking and then sent her home with antibiotics and metronidazole, which is what they give for parasites, I thought. (My daughter actually went in with her since she's her "baby" so I didn't hear what they said).

They couldn't see both cats tonight, so I actually have an appointment for the 11-year-old tomorrow. If they're still not eating, I guess I should keep it and see what else they think or if he needs the fluids, etc. I can ask more about the meds, too. It will be very difficult to impossible for me to get them down a cat or cats that aren't eating or drinking.

You've got me thinking more about the gravy lovers Fancy Feast, but can that make them so sick that they turn down their favorite things?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible that the food change didn't agree with their system and their gut flora needs to be repopulated. Metro is given to stop diarrhea. I have a boy who is prone to tummy issues. We add a little bit of plain canned pumpkin and sometimes saccharomyces boullardi to his wet food when his stool gets soft.

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's possible that the food change didn't agree with their system and their gut flora needs to be repopulated. Metro is given to stop diarrhea. I have a boy who is prone to tummy issues. We add a little bit of plain canned pumpkin and sometimes saccharomyces boullardi to his wet food when his stool gets soft.

Have you given a cat metronidazole before? If so, did he or she tolerate it well? I'm generally nervous about medications for myself and pets, but I know when you need it, you need it. My daughter (adult) asked me to give her one more night to see if she started eating or improving before starting it because she's nervous about side effects, too.

I've never heard of the saccaromyces boullardi before. I will look into that. I don't have pumpkin now, but I could try that. Right now, all she will eat is a little bit of Churu.

The boy (Leo) tried a few pieces of kibble (maybe 8-10) twice today, but the attempt was pretty lackluster.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have given my boy, Tumbles, Metro many times.It helps firm up stools. We gave it with Cernia, which is an anti-nausea pill.

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, my sick kitties started getting an appetite again over the weekend. As of today, I am being badgered and stalked for food and treats according to the normal pattern. ;) No more vomiting or diarrhea, and the younger two did not get sick. I didn't end up giving any medication at home, just the anti-emetic injection and IV fluids each got at the vet. I'm sure glad they got the fluids. I think that helped them get through the days they couldn't eat or drink. I have no idea what caused it and am perplexed. I've never had anything like that happen before and these guys have pretty much always been healthy.