Sudden Kidney disease (failure) in 22 month old cat

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is excellent news. I started to type an inquiry here myself earlier today and decided I shouldn't pester too much. But yes we are happy to hear about her progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last two days she is acting totally normal again. Appetite, output looking good. Stitches out in a few days (I'll ask if sooner okay, she is healing very fast now and it looks like it is starting to cover the stitches.) And she has her spunk back - very eager to get out and back with her step brother. Slow re-introduction not needed, they've already managed to meet up and are ready to get going! He coos constantly at her, and groomed her - she sniffed him and started to try and play - HARD, so I had to break them up. Mini visit was short.

So looking good! I'll breath again on her 2nd birthday (in April). But I'm appreciating the "thankful" extra affection.

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Today I opened the door and allowed her a supervised "out." She ran to her brother and he immediately groomed her, quickly followed by his "singing" (a kind of cooing sound) to her. I step away for two minutes and come back to a game of "chase me," (running back and forth with their tails curved backwards)... each taking their turn to be the chaser or chasee.

I allowed it for a little while (so long as they stayed earthbound)... they seemed so overjoyed to be with each other... no slow introduction for these guys. When it started to get into more intense play I (much to their dismay) separated them and put her back into the recovery room. 

Her belly is really healing up so I know that they will back to their nightly olympics shortly. I chose the time for them to have contact to coincide with their nappy time - nope, they were so excited to be together they didn't curl up.

Eventually I'm going to have to just let them both have free reign - and hope that was indeed a FREAK accident. The vet says it is one for the textbooks, so unexpected.

This pair, while not bonded per se (seem to do fine without each other so long as they have a human slave), just were meant for each other.

That's the latest on Jessica and Artemis.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I absolutely LOVE this update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: My goodness, what you all have been through. *phew* things are turning out so well! More vibes for complete healing and no recurrence! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, her belly looks great so we're back to no restrictions and so they've been off to the Olympics a couple of times. I don't know what I could do to prevent this freak accident from happening again (emphasis on freak, so it probably won't) - although I got an intuitive flash on what MIGHT have happened. I think it is unlikely she side slipped and hit her abdomen on furniture. Last night she was on the floor with RT staring down at her with the "I'm gonna pounce" expression! So perhaps he did just that and by accident, landed on her side, paws first (15 lbs of cat) with her in the process of rolling over. I sort of flashed on that image while looking at them.

Even so, nothing I can do except separate them over night - but why just at night? So I'm doing nothing and accepting that odds are it won't happen again, whatever it was.

Her birth month (we don't know the day) is April, and when I celebrate it I will go thank the surgeon. Also the checks from the insurance company are in the mail. So in regards to the fur family, things are looking very good. What a ride that was. While I expect(ed) to take responsibility for her in regards to ending her life, I did NOT expect it before her 2nd birthday (unless it was something like FIP).

She is acting normal again except a bit more affectionate and attentive to me.