Sudden deafness

nyty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anybody had a cat suddenly lost hearing? What tests did your vet run? What was her diagnosis? Did anyone find the cause of deafness beside aging? I know my cat is old(15) but I don't have a proof the hearing loss was gradual or not. Can anyone share with your experience? Thank you in advance!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would first ask you - what makes you think your cat has lost all/part of his hearing? Why do you think it is sudden? It actually could have been going on a long time before you would even know it - that's just the nature of cats.

I think Feeby (16+ yo) has some hearing loss, just due to being a bit surprised/startled if someone comes up behind her when she is not looking. She also is more vocal, which can be a sign. She has even stayed outside on her screened in patio when there is thunder in the distance - not something she would have ever done when she was younger. I could say it was 'sudden', but looking back there were signs that something might be going on, it just wasn't enough for me to put 'two and two' together. I am not overly concerned since she is an indoor only cat, and we are learning to work around 'surprising' her. If your cat is an outdoor cat, that might be an altogether different issue.

If you really believe there is hearing loss, have you discussed it with your vet to see if there are tests to be done?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing I would add is a question...was she examined for infection in her ears? That can certainly cause fairly sudden deafness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nyty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only thing I would add is a question...was she examined for infection in her ears? That can certainly cause fairly sudden deafness.
Thank you for your response! That is what I'm suspicious and worried too. Her external and middle ear through otoscope looked fine. Three years ago, her sister from the same litter died from inner ear infection spread to brain, I'm not sure how much genetics play the role in cats but it's terrifying :( We will see a neurologist next week, I'll definitely brining it up. Thank you for your insight, i appreciate it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are more than welcome! Let us know what the neurologist says, please. Once you post here, in some small way, your cat becomes our cat, and we fret!

nyty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Nana started labored breathing yesterday and I took her to ER. I also noticed her sense of smell was poor last Wednesday and started making snoring/blowing sound. Since then, i have to take dishes to her and she's excited to see the food.

Anyways, the ER doctor really scared me. She was adamant there is a mass in her throat and we should take a neck CT and there is a high chance she could die during anesthesia. I could not believe what i was hearing. And if they did find mass in her throat, there is no treatment or surgery. She told me it's a life threatening situation but I ok'ed CT because I didn't think it was neck, just my hunch.. So they took neck CT found nothing and went ahead and took head CT as well(A lot of radiation and anesthesia, feeling terrible). It also came back negative. I feel like I put her through so much for nothing....They did say she has asthma from chest Xray, I have yet to ask how severe it is because I was still digesting the shocking possibility at that point.

Can anybody know asthma causes hearing loss and decrease sense of smell? I don't think we can do any diagnostic testing involving general anesthesia for a long time unless its absolutely necessary, general anesthesia was really scary and I don't want to stress her out.

I also recently changed her regular doctor, she only saw Nana once so it's kind of awkward to keep asking her and discuss the treatment. Should I stop feeling this way?

nyty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I would first ask you - what makes you think your cat has lost all/part of his hearing? Why do you think it is sudden? It actually could have been going on a long time before you would even know it - that's just the nature of cats.

I think Feeby (16+ yo) has some hearing loss, just due to being a bit surprised/startled if someone comes up behind her when she is not looking. She also is more vocal, which can be a sign. She has even stayed outside on her screened in patio when there is thunder in the distance - not something she would have ever done when she was younger. I could say it was 'sudden', but looking back there were signs that something might be going on, it just wasn't enough for me to put 'two and two' together. I am not overly concerned since she is an indoor only cat, and we are learning to work around 'surprising' her. If your cat is an outdoor cat, that might be an altogether different issue.

If you really believe there is hearing loss, have you discussed it with your vet to see if there are tests to be done?
Thank you for your response! My cat is 15, close to yours! You're right, she was more vocal from the few weeks before she completely stopped responding to any noise. ER doctor said she has asthma. I think i know what you mean by 'two and two' together. I shrugged off things that I shouldn't in the past and wish there was someone who could signal me. Nana is an indoor cat and I wonder what was irritating her and developed asthma. Thank you Feeby'sOwner, sending Feeby a hug.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps, if the asthma has led to some kind of inflammation in her estuation tubes (wild guess),it could result in a loss of hearing. The sinus cavities may have inflammation which I suppose could lead to a decreased sense of smell. Talk to the vet about this aspect. I know I have heard of asthmatic people having an impact on their hearing and sense of taste, so why not cats?

There are ways to treat asthma, so follow up with the vet to find out what they suggest. It is a new vet to you and to Nana, so ask questions - all of them you want, and repeat the questions if you need clarification. No good vet should mind at all!!

You might also consider contacting Nana's old vet and getting a copy of all her records to share with the new vet. It is always helpful for a new vet to be able to look over past history.

nyty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for great information!! I will share your insight with ER doctors and her new doctor. Every time I call my new vet’s office, I felt like I’m some crazy woman out of nowhere...but you’re right they’re good people and they wouldn’t mind! ER wants to keep her in the hospital till tomorrow since her breathing is irregular. I’m glad she’s under care but afraid of bills now 😖