Sudden Aggression

srm94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My littermate girl cats age almost 3 years old (Millie and Tillie) have started to be aggressive suddenly. A few months ago Tillie got scared/jumped off the couch and hissed ...Millie responded with hissing and they ended up in a heated cat fight that lasted a few seconds. It happened again a week after that and my poor dog was in the middle of it, the cats turned on him after hissing at one another and we had to break it up. For 4 months nothing like this has happened... until tonight. I picked Millie up to hold her and she let out this weird meow that I have not heard before. Tillie came running when she heard Millie's strange meow. I kept holding Millie and she did the weird meow again. As I went to put Millie down, Tillie hissed at me and because of that Millie started hissing. I started to walk away from them to give them space and they started to do the hissing fighting thing with each other but a few seconds later Millie lunged and attacked my leg and left some nasty bloody slashes on me. I do not know what to do, or know what has caused them to start doing this. It seems like the cats feed off each other but have never lunged and attacked me before. Any insight would be helpful!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I believe that the first episode was redirected aggression...something startled Tillie, and Tillie rounded on Millie, who swatted back.
Re-directed Aggression In Cats

Once this happens, one of two things occurs. Either the two cats will figure it out on their own, or you are facing re-introducing them as if they were totally strange cats. I'm giving you the links to a couple of articles about this.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

The good news is, these reintroductions are almost always successful, so long as you have patience, don't push, and allow the cats to set the pace. They can take far less time than a new introduction, but not always.