Successful Urinary Stones Recovery Stories

zagne11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I decided to create this thread for those purrparents who struggled, currently struggling, and will possibly struggle (cross fingers) urinary stones with their cats.

I am currently struggling with my baby Kasper. He was diagnosed with calcium oxalate crystals for almost a month now and still praying for his successful recovery.

I know how crazy and frustatimg it is to suffer such with your cats and so I decided to create this thread to give myself and others HOPE that everything will be alright in the end.

Anyone of you who have experienced successful recoveries, could you please give us a favor to lighten up everything and give us hope that we will all get through this?

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, how is your cat doing? How is his appetite? My 8 years old recently PU surgery male cat ultrasound came out today and he has 2 kidney stones. The vet said they will dissolve it using sambacur medicine. Overall my cat is very active, has very good appetite, can urinate freely and blood in the urine has stopped completely for 12 days now ever since it started 14 days ago. How is your experience and does he have special diet?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zagne11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi wera! My cat has been doing great since his discharge. No more blood in the urine and he is drinking a lot. His urination improved. Before, he's been in and out of the box for at least 5 times in 30 min and only pees a little amount. But as the days progress, his urination is not as frequent as before and has increased in amount but not really as normal as before. The important thing here is he can urinate and empty his bladder regardless of frequency and amount. He is on RC renal because his crystals are calcium oxalate not struvite. Fortunately, the crystals didn't form stones and we are currently preventing that at the moment. We are trying to help him excrete all of the crystals before letting them form as stones by giving him a lot of water, prescription diet and some medications (Nefrotec DS and potassium citrate). I do not exclusively feed him the Rx food because it's dry. I cannot afford the wet form so my choice is only dry. But I cannot allow him to eat just the dry food so I cook boiled chicken and mix in the dry food. My vet told me it's okay for as long as the chicken meat and broth doesn't have preservatives (I think she's talking about the cubes that can be boiled to become broth). Sometimes I put less than a tablespoon of Whiskas canned food for better taste but not really that much.

Kasper didn't undergo PU and I can't afford to have it. And I think, we don't have vets here who are licensed to do that.