Substitute for Litter Locker II refills?

nichole ladd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a litter locker and for anybody that doesn't know what that is its like a dipper geni you scoop up the litter and it locks in the smell. Well the problem I have is the refills you have to buy I end up buying them through e-bay. Is there any way of making my own refills if there is somebody out there who might know it would be very helpful.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Nichole,

I have a Litter Locker 2, so I'm not terribly familiar with the refills for the original and don't know how you would go about making them, but it looks like you can actually buy the direct from the Litter Locker website:http://www.litterlocker.com/

I hope that helps. Maybe someone who's more familiar with the refills will have some ideas on how to make them.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The Litter Locker II is easy, because you can attach regular plastic bags to the plastic refill ring with a rubber band, but the wheel on the Litter Locker I makes things difficult. I read that old "Neat!" diaper disposal refills fit the Litter Locker I, but they might be hard to get now, too.

It would probably be cheaper in the long run for you to get a whole new diaper/litter pail that takes regular bags.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just use a regular diaper bin. Sure, it smells when you open it, but the smell doesn't escape when it's closed. I have a plastic plant pot inside which I put the garbage bag into; that way there's no plastic sticking out for the kitties to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nichole ladd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I have the litter locker 2 can you tell me more in detail on how to make your own refills using bags?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The thread title has been changed to make later searches easier.

All you need is:

• an empty Litter Locker II refill cartridge
  • a big rubber band or piece of elastic
  • a trash bag that isn't going to rip easily

I use 25-liter (about 5.5-gallon) odor-shield bags, but you can go a bit bigger, say the 10-gallon size. Put the bag inside the refill cartridge ring, then fold the edges back over the top of the cartridge and secure with the rubber band. You might have to push a little bit to fit the cartridge back into the Litter Locker, but it works. Then just pull the bottom of the bag through the odor trap inside the Litter Locker, like you do with the normal refills.

View media item 180052
View media item 180053
View media item 180055
View media item 180056

Last edited:

kim h

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if you're still looking for a substitute but I found an easy alternative.  I just save the empty cartridges and stick in one of those bags that your newspaper comes in.  It fits perfectly, is tight enough that you don't have to use tape or elastics, and it holds much more than the original.

I switched to using these after I only got 4 uses out of a $7.50 refill, what a ripoff!  The company could so easily design them so you could get 3 or 4 times as many uses, unfortunately they've shown their greed and now I use newspaper bags. 

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does this only work on the LL II? Does anyone do this on the Genie?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what the Genie refills look like, but if they're similar to the LL II's, it's worth a try.

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is so awesome!  I just bought the Litter Locker II and really didn't like how expensive the refills are and how they don't last very long.  2 or 3 changes and then it empty.  I was looking for an alternative to the refills and this post gave me exactly that.  Thanks :)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the difference between a litter locker and a liter genie

I have the genie and I really like it. I have one cat.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've not seen the litter Genie, I have got the litter locker II but I also find the refills expensive between £6-7 and they don't last long, having said that I think the design is very good, doesn't smell at all even when putting new litter inside since the old stuff remains closed off. I've also got the litter champ this is good as the refills are cheaper and last about 4 times as long as the ones for the litter locker, however as the new litter is put in I could smell the old stuff! I have now remedied this by putting the litter in nappy sacks first. I did read somewhere that angel care nappy refills fit the litter locker, not sure whether these are cheaper though!

JPS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The thread title has been changed to make later searches easier.

All you need is:

• an empty Litter Locker II refill cartridge
  • a big rubber band or piece of elastic
  • a trash bag that isn't going to rip easily

I use 25-liter (about 5.5-gallon) odor-shield bags, but you can go a bit bigger, say the 10-gallon size. Put the bag inside the refill cartridge ring, then fold the edges back over the top of the cartridge and secure with the rubber band. You might have to push a little bit to fit the cartridge back into the Litter Locker, but it works. Then just pull the bottom of the bag through the odor trap inside the Litter Locker, like you do with the normal refills.

View media item 180052
View media item 180053
View media item 180055
View media item 180056

Is the media item deleted? Clicking it just gives an error.