Sublingual Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Amers619

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple of weeks ago I noticed my guy’s breath was very stinky and he had a discharge from his mouth. My initial thought was abscess tooth. Took him to the vet and I just say I wish with all my heart that was “all” it was.

Upon examination there was a large mass found under his tongue. We had a biopsy performed and sublingual squamous cell carcinoma was confirmed. The prognosis is very grim. It is not operable due to the aggressive nature of the tumor and it’s location. Treatment is basically limited to radiation and there are only three clinics that provide this care and all of them are minimum of four hours away from me. The plan is to provide him with pain relief and bi-weekly antibiotic treatment to make him as comfortable as possible. This plan puts the vet’s estimate at 1-3mo.

My sweet BK has been with me through 14 years. Ever since I graduated high school. He’s been by my side through so much. He’s the first love my son, age 8 has ever known. We have talked about it and are determined to make these last days the best of BK’s life. Full of love and happiness and making sure he’s comfortable.

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this diagnosis and how it went for you and yours.

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do not have any experience with this, but I want to give hugs and prayers <3 There are a lot of great people on this site and I am sure someone has some knowledge, hang in there.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Amers619 Amers619 , I'm sorry you are here for such a terrible reason.

I am one of those who had a cat with same cancer, same position.
The cat is the one you see in my profile photo, she left me last year March 30. She was officially diagnosed early October 2016, though I had been having a bad thought about it for three weeks before.
My cat was treated with radiation therapy (4 hours driving from home, just like you), chemo therapy, pain killers, and other meds to help her through her terrible months.
She lived 6 months, she was a few weeks shy of 17 years of age when she died.

The whole nightmare has been told, day by day since when I joined the forum, in this thread
Lola's fight with Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma (I'm going to say goodbye to my cat)
I'm here for everything you need, even on PM.
Hugs!