Subcutaneous Fluid Pouch Moved?

kadaashi

:33 < h33h33!
Kitten
Purraise
First off is there a proper term for the pouch/sack/backpack of water that forms under your cat's skin when giving them subQ fluids?

Anyway, I took my girl Cait who has crf to the vet today to get some fluids and she even sent me home with my own supplies to do it myself. My poor girl was so dehydrated it was hard for the vet to tell if and where the water pouch was forming under her skin so we assumed it was just spreading everywhere. Eventually it made a pouch near her... armpit?? And now the pouch is underneath her by her chest. The vet says it's normal and it's just gravity.

This was interesting to me so I'm just curious if this happens with anyone else's cats :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's called a "bleb". It's normal for a bleb to form and end up under an armpit or elsewhere near the needle site. It's normal. As the body absorbs the fluid, the bleb will slowy disappear.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with LTS3 LTS3 , although I never knew there was an official name for the pouch. I just referred to it as the "fluid pouch".

It does usually hang under one armpit.. I was also advised, it can travel to the leg..
It is not something I am concerned with. I feel bad when it does develop, and I see this lump; flapping away with each step.

You can kind of judge about how fast it dissolves as to how dehydrated your cat is.. at least THAT is MY opinion...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It mostly depends on the firmness of the cat tissues and the point where you inject the fluid.
My cat wold have her pouch on her back, but in her last months this pouch was regularly moving downwards, to her armpit or even in her front legs.
In two or three hours it is absorbed by the body.